RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

Partner russman

Sep 17, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

New Yosemite Book Out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We got an email from the Director of Marketing for Menasha Ridge Press, and they just finished print on a new book by Alex Huber. Here is her quick description:

From Tricia Parks, Director of Marketing:

Don't miss the limited time offer to order Yosemite at the special prepub price of $29.95 and save over $15 off the retail price. Written and edited by Alexander Huber with photographs by Heinz Zak, the book contains over 100 years of climbing history accompanied by a range of superb color landscape photos. Essays by well known climbers Warren Harding, Royal Robbins, Jim Bridwell, Mark Chapman, Lynn Hill, and others illustrate the evolution in climbing equipment and varied techniques.
Call 800-243-0495 to order.

http://www.menasharidge.com/images/c_Yosemite.jpg

Offer good September 1 - October 15.
For more information visit http://www.menasharidge.com/.

socalclimber

Sep 17, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Re: New Yosemite Book Out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a sneak preview from Alex while I was in the valley in June. It is spectacular!!! Is this the english version? I only saw the German version. He did some rough translations though. The photography is impressive to say the least!

Robert

dsafanda

Sep 17, 2003, 8:54 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a little confusing. Did they finish printing or not? That link above states that they are only taking pre-publication orders.

Does look great though!

Partner russman

Sep 17, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not sure. I will send her a emial and maybe try calling her tomorrow to find out more and report back. I thoguht it was finished, but you are right..pre-pub? :roll: Might be my mix-up

I will try to find some answers.

dsafanda

Sep 17, 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My guess is that it's just a marketing technique that we're starting to see a lot of these days. I've noticed it's how they're selling a lot of video games and CD's. By taking pre-sales they create the sense that you better order now because it might be sold out if you wait for the product to hit the shelves. The publisher can also gets a sense of demand from these pre-sales.

I don't have a problem with this kind of marketing. It makes good business sense and it indeed looks like it will be a great book. I just mentioned it because that the fact that the book hasn't actually been published yet is a bit hidden.

iamthewallress

Sep 17, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what their printing or marketing scheme is, but I saw a copy of the book last spring as well, and it's truly a beautiful item. Heinz tried to get pics of all kinds of modern day climbers on all kinds of classics (Nutcracker, Royal Arches, etc.) and not just the big wigs on their unimaginable projects (although it is more skewed towards titans...especially Heinz and Alex). The pix seem to feature more the grandure of the rock than babe-o-licious back shots that are so common in the mags. There are some amazing nature shots too. The bit of the narrative that I read was pretty interesting...a more modern account of Valley life than seems to be available anywhere else right now.

apollodorus

Sep 18, 2003, 1:26 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As said above, pre-selling the item can give the publisher an idea of how many to print up. I seriously doubt that this book is going to be a print-per-payment affair. It looks to me like an update of Galen Rowell's Vertical World of Yosemite, and will go into general circulation.

If I don't space out, I'm going to order a copy at the discount price.

Partner russman

Sep 18, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the answers to my questions this morning from Tricia at Menasha Ridge Press. Here is a cut/paste of what she wrote back to me:

In reply to:
This edition that we are co publishing with Baton Wicks/UK is indeed in English. The book is being printed overseas and should be here the last week in October. Also, the book has been put on the shortlist for the Boardman Tasker Prize for Mountain Literature. You can read what the judges have to say by going to their website at http://www.boardmantasker.com/.

I hope that helps, she is getting excited that there are a bunch of people talkign about this now. Look for the book to be done soon.

The Russman

iamthewallress

Sep 18, 2003, 6:36 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It looks to me like an update of Galen Rowell's Vertical World of Yosemite,

It's only like that in that it's about Yosemite and has pictures. It's more like "Yosemite Climber" which was less historical and more about what was cutting edge at the time that it was printed. It also acknowledges the contributions of many women, whereas Rowell comes out and says that none were around doing anything of note in his preface which sort of taints my appreciation of that book. The pix are nicer than either Vertical World or Yosemite Climber IMO.

Partner russman

Oct 9, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just called and ordered my copy of this book today. The offer is good for only 6 more days...then everyone will have to pay "sticker" price. I can't wait, I look forward to checking out this new book.

Just making a last minute plug for those who didn't see this.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook