RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

calliope

Sep 24, 2003, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Nature's Call
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So far, I've not been out on day long or weekend trips, so going to the restroom hasn't been a huge problem. What do you ladies normally do when the facilities are a mile back and you're on the crag all day?

crazygirl

Sep 24, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #2 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nature's Call [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:
you think thats inconvenient? try changing a tampon on a third pitch.

rockwomyn

Sep 24, 2003, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ziplock baggies can be your good friend, especially for the tampon deal (i do not ever leave those outside)........however i have always carried toilet paper with me only for the #2 bizznass...drip dry on #1. I go as far away from the crag and trails as possible, find a nice digging rock or stick dig a nice hole at least 8 inches or more deep...go than bury, TP in ziplock bag. Tadah!

ya know when you gotta go you gotta go!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

winter

Sep 24, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #4 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone heard of a funnel type thing that allows you to pee standing up or even in a bottle??
I was at the crag the other day when I saw a girl just walz over to some nearby trees and pee standing up like a boy...it was crazy, we were all like what the hell is going on? She looked and talked like a girl but was crazy ripped. We thought the only 2 things were a)she was a hermaphrodite or b)she was using a funnel or c)she was a he with a high voice, long hair and a girls name (we could hear her friends call her).
I wish I had the balls at the time to ask her!

maria

Sep 24, 2003, 8:27 PM
Post #5 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I read some article on that funnel in Rock & Ice. It's called freshette, but unless you really can't take your pants off, why bother

debsanders

Sep 24, 2003, 9:04 PM
Post #6 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use plastic bags. Three total, one for waste, one for dry wipes, one for moist wipes. I like to be clean . . . :wink:

I've read about those funnel things, but haven't purchased one. I keep thinking about all the urine residue and how it would begin to smell. Of course I could use water to rinse the funnel, but water can be a precious commodity. No funnel for me . . .

granite_grrl

Sep 24, 2003, 9:06 PM
Post #7 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is the Freshette, I think that I saw them at MEC a couple of years ago, but it may have been some other outdoor gear store.

I pulled this article off another website, enjoy!

http://www.mgear.com/pages/articles/article.asp?articleid=268

calliope

Sep 24, 2003, 9:18 PM
Post #8 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gawd, that's almost enough to have me clinging to regular Barbie status. Oh well, I'll get over it. Thanks for the article. It was really helpful.

unabonger

Sep 24, 2003, 9:57 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html

Hey, if I can do it you can too.

Does this mean I can leave the lid up?

The Stand Up Guy UnaBonger

iamthewallress

Sep 24, 2003, 10:07 PM
Post #10 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some thoughts on the freshette....

The top of the funnel is smaller than your fist. The hose is smaller than most men's err, members. If you are going to go pee in a tiny funnel in your pants, make sure you have very fine control over your pressure and aim. For dead of winter alpine stuff...worth learning. On summery rock, I drop trou, bare the hiney, and let it go (as far off route as possible).

I like to carry a bit of tp for sterile number one which I wad up and shove in one of the leg pockets of my pants for later disposal.

For that "time of the month" on one day climbs...think "Super Plus".

winter

Sep 24, 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #11 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently there is also something called the "travelmate" anyone tried it? I checked out the website, it looks awfully small to not leak?

climberchic

Sep 24, 2003, 11:18 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy....I've heard about this, but wasn't really sure how it worked. Has anyone else tried it?

As for the freshette, I keep forgetting to buy it, but I will as I've heard great reviews. After having 5 knee surgeries (3 on one and 2 on the other) and can't squat or anything near it and not sure if I'll ever be able to. I'd be completely out of luck if I couldn't find a tree to grab onto.

iamthewallress

Sep 24, 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
After having 5 knee surgeries (3 on one and 2 on the other) and can't squat or anything near it and not sure if I'll ever be able to. I'd be completely out of luck if I couldn't find a tree to grab onto.

Yeah...no one told me that peeing would be the crux of my ACL rehab. Luckily it was only one knee.

climberchic

Sep 24, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yeah...no one told me that peeing would be the crux of my ACL rehab. Luckily it was only one knee.

Yep. They left that off my brochure as well ;)

If you don't want to have to clean out the Freshette every time or have to explain the thing to everyone, another option is to carry a non-clear Nalgene* (the older cheap ones work well) and pee into that. Easy to dump out afterwards, and no squatting involved.

*Disclaimer- Please make sure to label this bottle with "DO NOT DRINK" ;)

changling

Sep 25, 2003, 2:08 AM
Post #15 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Holy....I've heard about this, but wasn't really sure how it worked. Has anyone else tried it?

I've be practicing in the shower for a while now. It doesn't work too well for me. The stream starts downward, as the pressure builds it goes outwards, then ends downwards again. It would be a mess if I tried while dressed. :oops: I think I'll stick to the squatting method. I don't see that much of an advantage to being able to pee standing. Besides, I don't need my hands to squat. :P

moabbeth

Sep 25, 2003, 3:48 AM
Post #16 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I like to carry a bit of tp for sterile number one which I wad up and shove in one of the leg pockets of my pants for later disposal. .

Yep, I've done that too. But if there's no TP to be found, I also try to always carry a spare panty liner in a pocket in case. You can change it and if there's any..uhh..post squatting drip issues, you won't have to have that feeling down there all day. Helps prevent bladder infections and the like.

climberchic

Sep 25, 2003, 4:40 AM
Post #17 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also try to always carry a spare panty liner in a pocket in case. You can change it and if there's any..uhh..post squatting drip issues,

Oohhh... great idea. Never thought of that one as I don't use pads/panty liners on a monthly basis anymore. Will definitely try that next time!

gretchino

Sep 25, 2003, 2:37 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've be practicing in the shower for a while now. It doesn't work too well for me. The stream starts downward, as the pressure builds it goes outwards, then ends downwards again. It would be a mess if I tried while dressed. :oops: I think I'll stick to the squatting method. I don't see that much of an advantage to being able to pee standing. Besides, I don't need my hands to squat. :P

You're not along changling...I've tried it in the shower too :oops: . I can do it pretty well if I concentrate and position juuuust right 8) . That said, there is no way I'd be able to do that out side without making a terrible mess! :shock:

My boyfriend is more of a clean freak than I am when it comes to going outside. He carries all the suppies I could ever need! Too funny...

krave

Sep 26, 2003, 1:25 AM
Post #19 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fora simple day of climbing I forgo the tp, and spend a few minutes before going of the answer the call of nature looking for a well shaped rock. It takes a bit of trial and error, but with the correct shaped rock you can get a good wipe and you don't have to take the nasty paper back with you. for a #2 call, dig a DEEP hole, use a baby wipe and put it in a baggie, those darn things NEVER degrade!!!!

kimmyt

Sep 26, 2003, 1:30 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard about a device called the Lady J (I think??) that is supposed to be pretty good. Supposedly it takes a bit of practice, but after that it's a cinch and mess-free. Haven't used it, though, have any ofyou??

K.

cliffraven

Sep 26, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You just have to suck it up and squat! It sux, especially if you're the only girl (which I normally am). I got over my fear...If they can see my ass I don't care. Wondering far off the beaten path in full gear harnessed up and all can lead to falling! That I've done WAY too many times.

e

cruzit

Sep 28, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #22 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started using the Freshette device this season on an attempt to climb Mt. Moran (whole nother story). I also used it when I was climbing the Durrance Crack on Devil's Tower this year. I absolutely love it. Yes...you can pee standing up without baring your nether regions. My husband did kind of freak the first time I used it...he said it was really strange to see me doing my business standing up. It's ideal for multi-pitch where you may not have a great deal of space on a belay ledge.

With a very small amount of practice, I found it easy to use and it eliminated the necessity of tp (you can catch the last drips as you pull of the funnel). I stored it in a plastic ziploc in between uses rinsing both the Freshette and the baggie daily.

I would recommend it to any female into backcountry stuff.

blackmountaineer

Sep 29, 2003, 9:50 PM
Post #23 of 23 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't mind dropping my pants but trying to get underwear, long underwear, fleece and gortex all tucked back into my harness properly on alpine trips takes waaay too long. I use the Freshette although I have a hard time not getting something wet when I use it with a ton of layers on. It's the lesser of two evils, I suppose. I've switched to men's bottoms whenever possible so that I don't have to pull everything down for #1 when using the Freshette. I can't find schoeller pants with a full crotch zip that was all the range in women's goretex pants a few years ago. That would make life much easier.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook