Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

indigo_nite

Sep 24, 2003, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

new womens' climbing mag (CO)?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently heard of a new climbing magazine. The name is something like "sheclimbing" but I'm not positive. It's supposed to be based in CO. Does anyone have info? URL? Which stores sell it? Thanks...

blackmountaineer

Sep 24, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #2 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Re: new womens' climbing mag (CO)? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any association with the women's climbing group, sheclimbs? http://www.sheclimbs.org

tradkelly

Sep 24, 2003, 9:20 PM
Post #3 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Lizzy Scully currently lives and works in Estes Park, Colo. She's the features editor at the Estes Park Trail-Gazette, a contributing editor for Climbing Magazine, and she recently started a women's climbing magazine called She Sends. Despite all the work, she still finds time to climb, do yoga and explore the Rocky Mountains."

You might have some luck with this additional information. The last (first?) issue was decent enough, and free.

neomagi

Sep 24, 2003, 9:25 PM
Post #4 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i saw them at the trade show. the are still looking to find additonal places to distribute their publication to.

the web site is www.shesends.com

their address is:
P.O. Box 2383
Estes Park, CO 80517

hope that helps.

flamer

Sep 24, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #5 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HA, I was waiting to see how long it would take for the word to get out about this....Lizzy is a really cool girl and a total rope gun. She's all about women's issue's and I can't think of a better person to create a magazine for climbing women.
That being said, when is the New HESENDS magazine coming out???
josh

iamthewallress

Sep 24, 2003, 11:17 PM
Post #6 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Monthly for the R&I and climbing versions. Quarterly for the Alpinist version.

dsafanda

Sep 24, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #7 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Checked out the web site. Cool concept I guess but what's with the photo of the tag team spotting effort with the climber three feet off the ground?
Melissa you need to send them some shots of you sending big walls three thoulsand feet off the ground!

iamthewallress

Sep 24, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Checked out the web site. Cool concept I guess but what's with the photo of the tag team spotting effort with the climber three feet off the ground?
Melissa you need to send them some shots of you sending big walls three thoulsand feet off the ground!

I'm very flattered, but I doubt Lizzy Scully would be impressed with my gumby big wall disposable camera photography.

I'll definately subscribe though as soon as they offer the option.

pico23

Sep 25, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #9 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Female climbers need to start supporting these magazines. I haven't seen a womens climbing or outdoor magazine last very long. My wife enjoys them and just when she's gotten 2 or 3 issues the magazine dies out. You can't complain if its your own apathy that prevents these magazines from being more than a flash in the pan. On the flipside it could be lack advertising support thats killing them. How many women would be willing to pay $12 for a Womens Alpinist magazine? If it is advertisers pulling the plug and not lack of subscription then it might be time to go that route.

flamer

Sep 25, 2003, 12:13 AM
Post #10 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Soo Does that mean the other rags can completely quit covering women's climbing and issue's?? Because guess what...they do!!
josh

suzanica

Sep 25, 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #11 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just signed up to get a magazine called Dandelion. Ive never seen it or received it before, but I did it in faith that it would be a good publication. Does anyone know anything about this magazine? (it's a women's magazine also based in CO, i believe). I don't think the website is working right now.

iamthewallress

Sep 25, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #12 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Soo Does that mean the other rags can completely quit covering women's climbing and issue's?? Because guess what...they do!!
josh

I just bought alpinist 4, and although it was incredibly well done, there wasn't a single woman featured that I recall. There were a couple of pix, but then again SHESENDS is welcoming submissions, etc. from men as well as women...the focus is just going to be on women.

When someone assumes that you are the follower b/c you are the guy climbing with a woman, you may have a point, and HESENDS may have a valid niche.

sroehlk

Sep 25, 2003, 5:47 PM
Post #13 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to have a climbing mag devoted to women! I had a hard time viewing the first issue online, but it looks promising!

kellie

Sep 25, 2003, 5:59 PM
Post #14 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How many women would be willing to pay $12 for a Womens Alpinist magazine?

Me! Me! I would be prostrate with gratitude for the opportunity. Even when the rags do cover women, it's never ever alpine, just Beth Rodden and Lisa Rands....again.

Seriously, I've looked at Alpinist in stores and it looks cool, but as far as i can tell from the issues I've flipped through, there *are* no women doing alpine climbing. And I know that just isn't true.

Kellie

kellie

Sep 25, 2003, 6:13 PM
Post #15 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

josh

Yeah, well, kinda. For example, the last issue of Climbing I bought was the one with the Jack Tackle article. I started looking through the thing and there were TWO photos of women that weren't ads. One was belaying and the other was just standing there. Neither was climbing. There was ONE half-page article about a woman. And a Will Gadd article in which he stated that while he wouldn't consider the ice climbing world cup to be sexist, the women's events are viewed as a sideshow, their prize money is much less, and their finals routes are hastily retooled versions of the men's routes.

I have never seen an article about:

Kitty Calhoun
Nancy Feagin
Brittany Griffith
Kath Pyke
Lizzy Scully
Bev Johnson

or more than a sidebar type thing on

Kim Csizmazia
Heidi Wirtz

..you get the idea.

neomagi

Sep 25, 2003, 6:57 PM
Post #16 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know when i talked with the women from the mag, she had said they were looking at publishing quarterly to start, then moving to bi monthly, and eventually monthly, as things progressed.

she also said they were always looking for women to write to them with climbing articles. things that matter to them, and stories about their trips.

flamer

Sep 25, 2003, 7:32 PM
Post #17 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kellie,
I guess you haven't seen the new Climbing, the one with the main article about(and written by) Beth Rodden? I guess I've scene Profile's done of Heidi(who is a friend of mine), Lizzy(another friend), Kitty Calhoun,and most of the women you mentioned, as well as a few you didn't.
I have absolutely no problem with this! In fact I want to hear about ANYONE who is pushing grades/limits. And I know for a fact that Lizzy and Heidi are pushing limits. The problem I do have is the BS double standard that would go along with some guy starting a climbing Mag for MEN.
josh

indigo_nite

Sep 25, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #18 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the flurry of info all. I'll plan to check out the mag and submit articles... -Carol

dsafanda

Sep 25, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #19 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure I would express it the same way as Flamer has but I tend to agree with parts of what he's saying.

To me it seems that one of the best things about climbing is that woman and men play on a relativley even playing field. I can't think of any other athletic event in the world where the ability levels of the top women and men are so close.

Sure competitive climbing has men's events and woman's events but the spirit of climbing isn't found in competitions on plastic walls. It's found in road trips and adventures in the most beautiful parts of the outdoor world. In this arena there is no so thing as a men's team and a woman's team. When I'm climbing with my wife there's no defined role based on who's the man and who's the woman. We're just climbers. Personally I find it strange for a magazine like "She Sends" to develop their vision of the climbing world based on a division of the sexes. To me this vision ignores one of the best things about climbing.

pico23

Sep 25, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #20 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

josh

When someone assumes that you are the follower b/c you are the guy climbing with a woman, you may have a point, and HESENDS may have a valid niche.

Typically male climbers are among the better of male athletes in assumptions. I actually never assume anything about a woman climber. I've had several femal partners who were leaders than me (although almost everyone is). I personally think brute strenght aside women are predisposed to be better climbers and for such reason I enjoy climbing with women because they help me learn techniques and solve problems. And in many cases it was easier than pumping myself out using brute strength (that I don't actually have). I think climbing is one of the few sports where many women seem to be able to = men on almost all levels from beginner to pro. Really the falloff doesn't occur till the very top echelon of the sport.

My guess is the reason womens mags fail and the reason women aren't covered in the other Unisex mags is because of advertising. You cater the magazine to the demographic that draws the most advertising revenue. Since Alpinist isn't ad revenue funded you might be able to convince them that there female readers are interested in seeing some more women portrayed in the magazine.

climbsomething

Sep 25, 2003, 8:36 PM
Post #21 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Snazzy web site. Definitely worth checking out and supporting!

pico23

Sep 25, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #22 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kellie,
I guess you haven't seen the new Climbing, the one with the main article about(and written by) Beth Rodden? I guess I've scene Profile's done of Heidi(who is a friend of mine), Lizzy(another friend), Kitty Calhoun,and most of the women you mentioned, as well as a few you didn't.
I have absolutely no problem with this! In fact I want to hear about ANYONE who is pushing grades/limits. And I know for a fact that Lizzy and Heidi are pushing limits. The problem I do have is the BS double standard that would go along with some guy starting a climbing Mag for MEN.
josh

Wow, I thought I was anal about double standards and exclusion. The problem is that magazines by there nature are exclusionary, they focus on a minute subject. People focuses on celebrities, Dog World, PC World, Cosmo, Maxxim, Mens Health, Ladies Home Journal, GQ Outdoor Photographer, Bicycling are all focused on a particular group. They are niche specific and so I really don't see a problem with another niche specific magazine. Even if you look at Bicycling or Alpinist they are niched within a genre. Bicycling covers road cycling and Alpinist covers alpine climbing but neither spend much time on the other areas of there general sports.

Unlike a club that only a woman or man or a specific ethnic background can join a magazine only excludes you if you have no interest in the content. I'd personally enjoy reading about all the cutting edge climbers out there so I'm sure I'd read my wifes Womens Alpinist if there was one. If She Sends is not just Climbing or R&I for women I'm sure I'd enjoy reading it.

I don't think a womens specific magazine is sexist or discriminatory at all and I hope one makes it beyond the first year.

iamthewallress

Sep 25, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #23 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To me it seems that one of the best things about climbing is that woman and men play on a relativley even playing field. I can't think of any other athletic event in the world where the ability levels of the top women and men are so close.

It seems this way to you because every time you look at the mags you see people who look like you (white guys).

You never have anyone assume that you are too weak or scared to do something because you are a man.

When people talk about what men are doing/have done rad climbs, more than 3 or 4 names get mentioned.

It's not about Lynn Hill, who was a rare breed capable of excelling without many female role models, climbing as hard as the boys, it's about all of us gumby girls wanting to hear from our more experienced, accomplished sisters about how the hell they made it through the mine field of social expectation. It's about wanting to believe that women besides Lynn Hill and Beth Rodden and Josune B climb hard. How many years has it been since one of the major mags ran a full length story about a woman on a big wall?

Look around next time you are in the Valley though, and I absolutely promise you that you will not see a "level playing field". A lot of that has to do with totally non-climbing related things, but the undeniable fact is that it's a different experience for men than it is for women, and women often like to hear about the women's experience from other women. If you want to hear about the men's experience from other men, like I said, pick up an Alpinist, an R&I, or a Climbing and read away...

Look at the Ladies Room. In addition to enjoying the universally entertaining John Long stories, many women really do want to know what bras will hold down their DD's while they climb, where to stick there used tampons on multipitch, and how do you put on panty hose with calloused, peeling hands. Many struggle with questions about their identity or revel in their dichotomy...i.e. reconciling a desire to be a girly girl with the gritty reality of their climbing lifestyle. Have you ever had to consider how growing a baby inside yourself would affect your climbing? How 'bout climbing with breasts full of milk? When was the last time you saw articles on these topics?

If you feel that there are analogous men's issues that are going undiscussed, you can write a letter to the male editor of any of the magazines and perhaps he can get one of his nearly entirely male editorial/writing staff members to write an article on it.

If the exisitng mags gave equal space to women and their concerns, I'd be more apt to hear what you are saying. It just ain't the way it is though...

kellie

Sep 25, 2003, 8:58 PM
Post #24 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Kellie,
josh

Josh, Seen it. Flipped through it. It appeared to be about her wedding and how she and Tommy started dating. Yawn. I may be mistaken about that but that was my impression.

Hey, I could care less about double standards. I am just fine with the fact that there's no White History Month, for example.

The climbing mags are by default overwhelmingly male, as is the climbing world. For instance, I'd LOVE it if the lastest R&I featured an article with a photo of two women climbers in a portaledge in Alaska with centerfolds of naked guys duct taped to the walls, but surprise, the photo that is actually in there is the reverse. That's ok, I like looking at pictures of Alex Huber just fine. But I'm much more *inspired* by a picture of Kim Czismazia hanging off her tools, and that is just plain hard to find. So if there's a new venue where I can find more of that, I'm all for it.

Can you tell me where you've read these articles and profiles you mentioned? I'd love to know where I can get my hands on anything about women doing hard alpine type stuff.

Kellie

dsafanda

Sep 25, 2003, 9:02 PM
Post #25 of 40 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mel,
All good points but I don't think the quote you pulled out of my post is really at the heart of what I was saying. My point was never that women didn't deserve equal representation. I just question whether the solution to the problem is further division of the sexes via separate magazines.

It's an old debate that has parallels in other areas. If you had a daughter will she get a better education at an all girls school or at coed school? I don't think experts in this area of study can even agree.

I certainly don't have the answers...just skeptical and wondering.

In reply to:
Have you ever had to consider how growing a baby inside yourself would affect your climbing?

Funny you ask. My wife is pregnant and we're dealing with this right now. Notice I said "we"...meaning it's something that affects both of us. Not sure why that issue could only be addressed in a "woman's" mag.

In the end all that matters is whether or not women want their own magazine. If there is a demand for it then my questions are totally irrelevant.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook