Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Guys better watch out... we're taking over!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbhigh2005

Sep 29, 2003, 9:55 PM
Post #1 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Guys better watch out... we're taking over!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey girls!! Iw ent climbing this weekend, and honestly saw at least one girl for every 3 guys... I even saw like 3 groups of just girls!! thats awesome... We need to show the guys who owns this sport! =P

rckclimbergurl

Sep 30, 2003, 4:22 AM
Post #2 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: oh ya!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yahoooo!!

:D

climberliz

Sep 30, 2003, 9:14 AM
Post #3 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I saw that level of participation around the areas I climb. I've never been climbing with an all female group....that'd be nice....

gblauer

Sep 30, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #4 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the Gunks last Friday and saw a group of 6 women climbing...no guys at all!

gretchino

Sep 30, 2003, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't seen any all grils packs in my outdoor areas, but I do in the gym...a lot. Mostly I see couples (or what looks like couples...like my partner and I) out climbing together. I would love to climb with a group of gals though...

moabbeth

Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 PM
Post #6 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: Guys better watch out... we're taking over! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was out in Josh...it always seems about 1/3 women and 2/3 men out there. The season is just kicking in. Saw this one woman leading Stitcher Quits Sunday am, leading and 2 guys followed. Go Girl!!! :lol: :lol:

There were several girls who looked like they were out there getting schooled by boyfriends on the rock. Really patient guys...like one belaying atop a 5.7 while the poor girl was freaking out on the route below and the boy was so calmly and patiently talking her through her meltdown. It was so cute!! Nice to see respectful climber boys helping get girls started.

fyreflii

Oct 2, 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #7 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There were several girls who looked like they were out there getting schooled by boyfriends on the rock. Really patient guys...like one belaying atop a 5.7 while the poor girl was freaking out on the route below and the boy was so calmly and patiently talking her through her meltdown. It was so cute!! Nice to see respectful climber boys helping get girls started.

That was so me two months ago! Now I can hold my own on the rock, but I've never climbed with another girl. I lead my own routes and TR the ones the guys lead. I've always wondered what it would be like to climb with another girl, as I don't get along with them very well. I'm sure it would be different with a fellow climber-chick, as long as she and I were at about the same level. Girls are so damn competitive!

debsanders

Oct 2, 2003, 1:48 AM
Post #8 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've always wondered what it would be like to climb with another girl, as I don't get along with them very well. I'm sure it would be different with a fellow climber-chick, as long as she and I were at about the same level. Girls are so damn competitive!

It is great climbing with other women, no matter what their level. When you climb with women who are better than you, they give great beta and are so encouraging. Visa versa when the skill level is reversed.

Chick beta is so much better than boy beta!

p.s. I'm competitive, but I also like to see others succeed

moabbeth

Oct 2, 2003, 3:10 AM
Post #9 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I've always wondered what it would be like to climb with another girl, as I don't get along with them very well. I'm sure it would be different with a fellow climber-chick, as long as she and I were at about the same level. Girls are so damn competitive!

It is great climbing with other women, no matter what their level. When you climb with women who are better than you, they give great beta and are so encouraging. Visa versa when the skill level is reversed.

Chick beta is so much better than boy beta!

p.s. I'm competitive, but I also like to see others succeed

Word!!!

Deb's right. Climber chicks are a different kind of girl, it's so much more of a sisterhood thing among female climbers. I haven't found any competitiveness...if anything it's the opposite. I've had nothing but positive experiences with other women climbers. I especially like climbing with women who climb harder than me...it makes me push myself harder and women climbers are SO supportive, encouraging and nurturing. It's all good.

on_sight_man

Oct 2, 2003, 6:31 AM
Post #10 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fun day. Six people go to the South Platte. Four guys, two women. The women put up virtually ALL the routes (hard crack climbs at Turkey Rocks) while the guys huff and puff on TR. It rocked.

Frankly, it gives me hope. Especially since one of the women was not buff like animal. String yes, but mostly just AMAZING technique

angelaa

Oct 3, 2003, 12:07 AM
Post #11 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This seems to be SO true!
Last weekend I led a trip of beginning climbers and the # of girls EQUALED that of the guys. . . .
Next week, I am taking 4 girls out so that they can learn the 'ropes' without the guys around! We are going to work primarily on anchor setting, but I really think this will give these girls the confidence that they seem to be lacking around the guys. :D

I personally never had issues 'being one of the guys', but I have noticed that many women do. It is hard for some women to learn from men and therefore it is hard for them to be confident when being taught by men. . .

I think as a woman climber it is important for me to encourage women to be confident in there abilities and to 'not just follow'.

To be a strong climber. . . you must be a strong woman.
by that I don't mean GUYS SUCK on the contrary, I love men and climbing with them, but be CONFIDENT.

debsanders

Oct 3, 2003, 2:14 PM
Post #12 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Next week, I am taking 4 girls out so that they can learn the 'ropes' without the guys around! We are going to work primarily on anchor setting,

The person that taught me top rope set-ups, anchoring was a woman. She was great! I wonder if a man had taught me if I'd be as confident as I am with setting anchors, hmmm.

kimmyt

Oct 3, 2003, 2:39 PM
Post #13 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, when I initially learned to climb, it was in a woman's only class. I liked that idea best because it made me the most comfortable. That way, I didn't feel bad that my ass was hanging in everyone's view or if a few rolls were showing.

K.

enanubis

Oct 15, 2003, 10:56 PM
Post #14 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good for you guys, I wished more women climbed were I climb, last time I was at the rocks it was 8 guys to one girl.
How am I suppose to meet a dirt barbie if there aren't any at my crags :cry: .

In reply to:
The person that taught me top rope set-ups, anchoring was a woman. She was great! I wonder if a man had taught me if I'd be as confident as I am with setting anchors, hmmm.

Do you really think the gender of the teacher makes a large difference. If so why, is there anything a male teach should be aware of when teaching a female student.

climbhigh2005

Oct 15, 2003, 11:12 PM
Post #15 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Today I went tot he climging wall, and we had this little competion, and I beat the guys on 3 out of 5 problems.. the other 2 were tied!!

Partner missedyno

Oct 16, 2003, 1:02 PM
Post #16 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[Do you really think the gender of the teacher makes a large difference. If so why, is there anything a male teach should be aware of when teaching a female student.

that's a good question... i learned from guys, i guess some of them liked to tease me, make the "dumb little girl" comments, not taking me seriously that i wanted to learn how to set anchors, etc.

but that's an attitude issue, not so much gender....

crazygirl

Oct 16, 2003, 2:08 PM
Post #17 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
that's a good question... i learned from guys, i guess some of them liked to tease me, make the "dumb little girl" comments, not taking me seriously that i wanted to learn how to set anchors, etc.

hmm what kind of people are you hanging out with? you should expect better from your friends

Partner macherry

Oct 16, 2003, 3:12 PM
Post #18 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

hmm what kind of people are you hanging out with? you should expect better from your friends

I would worry hanging out with other climbers that wouldn't take you seriously when you wanted to learn how to set anchors. Someday you will be setting that anchor for them to climb/rapel. I climb almost exclusively with men and they encourage/demand that i am involved with every aspect of the climb. Their personal safety (mine too) is important. Yes, we do tease and joke around, but we respect each other as fellow climbers. That is a gender issue if they are making "dumb little girl comments".

Partner missedyno

Oct 16, 2003, 3:57 PM
Post #19 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I would worry hanging out with other climbers that wouldn't take you seriously when you wanted to learn how to set anchors. Someday you will be setting that anchor for them to climb/rapel. I climb almost exclusively with men and they encourage/demand that i am involved with every aspect of the climb. Their personal safety (mine too) is important. Yes, we do tease and joke around, but we respect each other as fellow climbers. That is a gender issue if they are making "dumb little girl comments".

REVISION:

I started climbing with those people, yes, but learned how wonderful it is to climb with nice people after a few months. i don't keep in touch with the aforementioned persons at ALL (for obvious reasons). That story is already a couple years old.

thank you for your concern(s)

jabtocrag

Oct 16, 2003, 4:23 PM
Post #20 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... We need to show the guys who owns this sport! =P

Educate me...who does own this sport? :wink:

enanubis

Oct 22, 2003, 3:33 AM
Post #21 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes, that is good to hear. That would take some fun out of it if you climb with @ssholes, (plus unsafe). I at least hope you found some male climbers that have redeem our gender. :)

Partner missedyno

Oct 22, 2003, 1:21 PM
Post #22 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
crazylikeafawkes, that is good to hear. That would take some fun out of it if you climb with @ssholes, (plus unsafe). I at least hope you found some male climbers that have redeem our gender. :)
heck yeah! (check my schmultzy profile)

enanubis

Oct 22, 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #23 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is good to hear. Glad you found someone who can make you happy.

bigjake

May 24, 2004, 8:00 AM
Post #24 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't mind the women taking over. I climb mostly at Smith Rock and every year I see more and more women. I've been climbing there for about seven years now. A couple times I've found myself surrounded by like seven or more women. I'm not talking couch potatoe women either. One day I witnessed a group of three women working Churning. Churning is a 13. These women were climbing HARD and it was good.

I'm not complaining. :D

-BJ

raelinn

May 24, 2004, 1:05 PM
Post #25 of 31 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

was out this weekend with 3 other women. and saw just as many women as men on Sunday!!! go girls!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook