RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

seatoskyboy

Sep 29, 2003, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Is Smith Rocks dog friendly??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if Smith Rocks is dog friendly, also what is the camping like (facilities) and what is there to do on the down day i.e. sightseeing where?? What kind of weather should I expect at the end of October??

katydid

Sep 29, 2003, 7:11 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is Smith Rocks dog friendly?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Simply put, not really.

Your dog must be leashed AND attached to a human at all times, unless you would like a $77 ticket. There's also a "no dogs" sign at the entrance to the bivy area, although people have been known to take their dogs into camp with them (not encouraging or discouraging this, just reporting the facts).

One thing to keep in mind if you do bring your dog is that shade can be a rare commodity at Smith, especially if you choose to climb in the more popular areas on the east side. While the weather's usually pretty nice in October, it still can get quite hot during the day ... and very cold at night. Bring the poor thing tons of water if you bring him/her. (I saw some people the weekend before last who built an awning for their dog out of a rope bag and some gear, and that seemed to work pretty well, also. I would have liked one myself. :mrgreen:).

As to camping, the bivy area's $4/person/night, and you have to hike your gear in about 150 yards to set up. There's a designated cooking area in the parking lot, and smoking's only allowed in cars. The showers there have been broken for a while, and nobody seems to know when they're going to be fixed. On the bright side, though, there ARE flush toilets. :)

As far as nearby stuff, the High Desert Museum on the east side of Bend is a good way to spend a few hours. On the west side of Sisters, a drive through the MacKenzie Lava Flow can be a nice diversion (expect to drive for a few hours, though, since you have to make a round trip, and get gas beforehand). Bend has lots of little touristy restaurants and shops, as does Sisters. If you'd like to see something truly hokey (in the fun way), check out Peterson's Rock Garden, to the south of Redmond (follow the signs).

Check the weather for Terrebonne (NOT Redmond) for the best idea of what temps to expect. Night temps can go well below freezing, so bring your warm sleeping stuff, but be prepared for the weather to get fairly warm for the day.

Good luck,

k.

the_pirate

Sep 29, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
smoking's only allowed in cars.

:shock: how the.... what the... um..... WHAT?

You can't smoke OUTSIDE at Smith Rocks? By who's authority?

troutboy

Sep 29, 2003, 8:45 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
smoking's only allowed in cars.

:shock: how the.... what the... um..... WHAT?

You can't smoke OUTSIDE at Smith Rocks? By who's authority?

Yep. Forest fire prevention thing I would guess. Judging from the amount of butts I picked up when I was there, this rule is not enforced very well.

katydid

Sep 30, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the State Parks guys, trying to keep the place from burning down again. There's only a couple of them to patrol the whole area, so I'd imagine they enforce the best they can given manpower:real estate.

k.

sync

Sep 30, 2003, 7:57 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Your dog must be leashed AND attached to a human at all times

That must make climbing very interesting! :P

fredo

Sep 30, 2003, 8:38 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try www.smithrock.com
you get a good weather report and some cool other stuff.

the dog issue Personally I don't mind dogs as much as i do their carless owners. As long as the owner is responsible in looking after the mutt. ie picking up dog crap, keeping the animal controlled etc.. nothing worse then trying hear your leader over the whine of a poor dog chained to a rock, while the owner is 200 ft above the ground...imho dogs should be left at home not at the base of climbs...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook