RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

krispywawa

Sep 21, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Thailand... general shout out
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm going to thailand oct. 10-17th for a climbing / birthday gift to myself ;)
anyone going in that timeframe??? lemme know if your around?

need climbing partners, and people to celebrate with!!!

kristi*

daisuke

Sep 22, 2003, 4:39 AM
Post #2 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

daisuke moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

daisuke moved this thread from General to International.

indigo_nite

Sep 30, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thailand... general shout out [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

in case you'll be in the area of the Railey (sometimes spelled Raileh) beaches, here's some info... my partner was bedridden sick and so I hired a Kings Climbers guide (near Ya-Ya Bungalows on East Railey) for two 1/2 days (about $20 per day, including all gear).

on rest days, I hung around the beginner climbing areas where a lot of people were taking classes. soon I recognized local climbers and met other climber travelers who needed partners. I think you can find potential climbers/belayers at the climbs. have a good time (too bad I can't offer an actual belay but I think you'll enjoy yourself).

beta in case it's useful... to save cash, I'd suggest taking your own personal gear (harness, shoes, chalk bag, atc/gri-gri). it is simplest to rent rope/draws (I forget the company name but the guides who work up the stairs by the Viewpoint Bungalows/East Railey seem to rent the newest/best quality gear). it's hard to come by helmets over there.

rvega

Sep 30, 2003, 11:41 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kristi,
There are tons of webpages about Thailand climbing. Scores of people looking for partners. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

wezthailand

Oct 2, 2003, 3:40 AM
Post #5 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill be heading down to Railey on the 11th October, probably staying on Tonsai. drop me a line. 090566290 is my thai cell number.
have fun and stay safe.

thomascrown

Oct 2, 2003, 4:08 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I know nothing about climbing in thailand. however, this is why i want to go explore. where is a good place to stay/camp? airport to fly into? best time of the year to climb? thanks

thomascrown

Oct 9, 2003, 4:28 AM
Post #7 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone out there that can give advice on the best ways of geeting to the south thailand region? Plane tickets are kind of cheap to Bangkok right now. Is there a bus or somethig that will take me to the south?

paulc

Oct 9, 2003, 5:50 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone out there that can give advice on the best ways of geeting to the south thailand region? Plane tickets are kind of cheap to Bangkok right now. Is there a bus or somethig that will take me to the south?

Bus, Train and Plane all go down there, the flights cost about 80-120 $CDN and get you closer than the train. The train takes about 12h to get you down south and then you need to take a bus to get closer. I wouldn't reccommend the bus, they aren't particularly comfy.

I'll be there Nov 9-30 climbing the latter half of the month if anyone else is going to be there.

Paul

hellclimber

Oct 9, 2003, 10:11 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buses differ vastly in comfort. If you are lucky you will travel in great comfort. They are also cheap and reasonably fast. I preferred bus when travelling around in Thailand.

hellclimber

eric

Oct 10, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #10 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take the government (or government-approved) buses and not the ones you'd buy tickets for on, say, Khao San Rd in Bangkok. They are as cheap if not cheaper and usually very comfy. Buy elsewhere and you're liable to get shoved into a minivan the whole way.
The train isn't really feasible since although it's fun, you basically have to go to Hat Yai and bus it from there (~4 hours).
Best plan is to just fly. You can fly straight into Phuket and then to Krabi, or from Bangkok to Krabi. You don't even need to stay in BKK if you time it right (there are between 2 and 6 flights a day from BKK to Krabi on THAI, depending on the time of year).

Oh, and here's a little tip: if you fly into Krabi, head straight out the main entrance toward the parked minivans. Don't buy a minivan ticket to Krabi town or Ao Nang from the counter on the left -- you'll pay 50 baht more (gee, a whole $1.25) -- B150 instead of B100. Same bus. The Sangthaew is only B20-30, but harder to manage.

thomascrown

Nov 6, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the help. Is anyone interested in going to thailand or is going to be there in May? I was thinking about the 11th-31st. This is the only time I can go. I can lead up to 12b sport. Thanks.

thomascrown

Nov 20, 2003, 5:37 AM
Post #12 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curious what everyone budgets per day to spend for food, lodging, etc. for a trip to Railay and Ton Sai. I am trying to figure out my money situation!

olive

Nov 20, 2003, 5:51 AM
Post #13 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remember taking a night bus from Bangkok to Krabi; I did not buy the ticket from Khao San or any travel agency but right from the central bus stop (or whatever the name was, I dont really remember but it was the place where you find all the buses going to south). It was pretty comfortable (and cheap) for me. However, comfortable is relative, I am very much used to long bus rides.
I was living on a 10-15$ budget a day as far as I remember, somedays less somedays more depending on what I was doing. Again, that worked for me but I had no luxuries :)

thomascrown

Nov 20, 2003, 5:31 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you remember what the cost of the bus was and how long a trip?

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook