RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

sprtclimber

Oct 2, 2003, 1:44 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Best tool for learning
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When learning trad, What do you believe taught you either the most or the best lessons?

In other words: What was it while learning to place gear that has made you confident in your climbing?

tenn_dawg

Oct 2, 2003, 1:53 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best tool for learning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude,

I learned how to climb with a rope, a borrowed trad rack, and a partner who shared my distaste of instructors.

The thing that helped me learn to climb was the fear of hitting the ground and dying if I didn't do everything right. I read a few books, started on the ground, and worked my way up the rock.

Not for everyone, granted, but it worked for me.

If I was you, I'd borrow a rack, get on a climb I knew I wouldn't fall on, and figure it out.

If you were me, however, you may go find an instructor, take a class, and do it the right way.

Whatever you do, don't be a sport climber forever. At least climb 1 multipitch "gumby congo line" on trad gear. You'll be glad you did.

Travis

herm

Oct 2, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Survival

halcyon

Oct 2, 2003, 2:20 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's always good to have someone who knows how to make placements show you how. Books can only go so far. I would suggest doing some placements on the ground and showing them to somebody that knows what they're doing so they can critique it.

attitude

Oct 2, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Experienced partners. Can't beat them. John Long's book "Climbing Anchors" is a good read for the trip to the crag as well.

dingus

Oct 2, 2003, 4:14 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time.

DMT

stick233

Oct 2, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Follow follow follow... find a trad climber not afraid of n00bs and follow every pitch he leads. cleaning is a bastion of knowledge. if you learn how to take 'em out, you get an idea of how they go in. i felt it was the perfect way to learn...

maculated

Oct 2, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Dingus, time. Also, multiple mini epics to teach me the best way of doing things. There's something to be said for easing into multi-pitch and pushing your limits only when you're solid, solid, solid.

crag

Oct 2, 2003, 4:56 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Dingus said, Time. Time outside spent climbing, can't beat it.

iamthewallress

Oct 2, 2003, 4:59 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Time.

DMT

So long as Time = lots of mileage accumulated on lots of terrain in lots of different situations, I agree.

climbinggirl33

Oct 11, 2003, 7:33 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Experienced partners. Can't beat them. John Long's book "Climbing Anchors" is a good read for the trip to the crag as well.

That's exactly what I am looking for - any tips for meeting some in WA?

charley

Oct 11, 2003, 11:42 AM
Post #12 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The leaders who were kind enough to take me with them and eventualy let me lead.

ropeburn

Oct 11, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude,

I learned how to climb with a rope, a borrowed trad rack, and a partner who shared my distaste of instructors.

The thing that helped me learn to climb was the fear of hitting the ground and dying if I didn't do everything right. I read a few books, started on the ground, and worked my way up the rock.

Travis

I learned in the same manner and had the same sediments towards which "tool" helped me most.

:mrgreen:

jono

Oct 12, 2003, 2:41 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im just starting trad myself and so far ive been doing the "travis method." i dont have anyone here to really help me but the best way i have learned is to get on the rock and practice placements, load them and take them out. i have learned a lot just by playing with the gear on toprope. im taking baby steps though.

bustinmins

Oct 12, 2003, 2:49 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was fortunate enough to have an acquaintance that climbed. He got me on real rock as oppossed to plastic. Then showed me a great place to top rope - then I started adding gear to my "rack". First quickdraws as I wasn't sure if I wanted to lead trad then did my first sport lead. Then kept adding gear, nuts/hexes then cams. Then I placed gear and placed more gear at the ground level - set up anchors - etc. Then enlisted my friend's help to grade my work. I read the anchors and more anchors book by John Long. Excellent sources of information - but no substitute for doing it yourself and lots of practice.

Then I felt ready and invited my friend out to Eldorado Canyon - to help me do some more judging of placements etc - he's a 5.11B climber(he just completed the naked edge and two routes on the diamond) and we found this super juggy 5.2(West Crack of the Whale's Tail, Eldorado Canyon). This is a super nice route for your first trad lead. Nice holds - comfortable standing while you place gear...and a good spot for a practice belay half way up this 90 foot route. That way he could judge my anchor that I set up and my placements. We had a lot of fun that morning and I since have led that same route many times using a primary emphasis on specific types of gear. He suggested I do that so that I don't get stuck into the CAM only mode that some climbers get into. I go up that route and try to place as much pro as I can for practice. I go up with a "NUT" mindset or a HEX mindset and look for good placements for each type. That makes you see the same route differently.

Have fun and keep it safe....do yourself a favor and don't put yourself in the situation that you feel "Rushed" to complete the route. Even if you are pushed, just do it at your own speed. This isnt' golf, they can't drive around so THEIR own patience is the issue - not you.

granitegod

Oct 12, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three rules when learning to lead:

1: follow. 2: follow. 3: follow ...... the more gear you've cleaned, the easier, and safer time you'll have PLACING gear, assuming the climbers you follow know what the hell they're doing.

I would also reccommend the John Long book "Climbing Anchors", a must for any beginner.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook