RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

Oct 2, 2003, 1:43 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

RfC- silhouette, taping up
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.hillarydavis.com/...limbing/ricktape.jpg

For some reason, I just like this image. Maybe I'm just a sucker for silhouettes.

This is Rick taping up for Hurricane, a tower climb in Sedona. This is a scan of the negative, not the print; I am a gumby when it comes to photo editing programs and these new-fangled film scanners, so for whatever reason, the sky came out that weird greyish cast and I didn't know how to fix it :( (in the print it's more royal blue)

Is it obvious that he's taping up, or is it just obvious to me since I was there?

Partner philbox

Oct 2, 2003, 2:09 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Re: RfC- silhouette, taping up [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, he could be slashing his wrist.

This pic works for me too, nice silhouette, but then I`m also a sucker for silhouettes as well. My eye is drawn to looking through his glasses as well as the obvious action going on via the taping of the hand. It does convey a feeling of height too don`t you think.

Speaking of silhouettes I really must chuck one up here as well.

climbsomething

Oct 2, 2003, 7:01 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i like this one, hill. the composition is perfect, imo.

are you shooting digital? if not, what film are you shooting?
God, I wish! I NEEEEEEEEEED one of those sexy new digi SLRs. the ones worth more than a year of tution. No, I've been using a 30-y.o. Pentax K1000 with Kodak or Fuji 200 color print film... the stuff you get at the grocery store. I very very rarely shoot slide. Sometimes I use that C-41 black and white stuff from Kodak.

Thanks, BTW :mrgreen: A friend of mine who grew up on a farm and has a veterinarian mother said he looked like he was gloving up to violate a cow. I did NOT want to know! :shock:

dsafanda

Oct 2, 2003, 3:29 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be honest...I tend to hink of the typical silhouette photo as the "painting on black velvet" version of climbing photography. Too often they seem like bad album cover artwork to me.

There's something about this one that is satisfying though. I think it's the color. Those rich desert reds contrasted against crisp and dark black figure makes for an engaging image.

I also like shots that focus on the climbing lifestyle as much as the actual act of climbing. It doesn't always have to be about cranking hard in order to convey what climbing is all about.

melekzek

Oct 2, 2003, 4:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, he could be slashing his wrist.

hah hah, that was the first thing which came to my mind as well.
I wouldnt think that he is taping to climb, but rather he is bandaging his twisted wrist or something. Maybe its just me, i am injured very easily.
I will agree with the whole desert scene colors beauty. It is gorgeous.
I like the details captured, the eyeglasses and the biner really works for me.
My only complaint will be the pose, as I said, it is not too clear for me that he is taping to climb. What about having some desert tower in the background? Even a very far one, might connect the taping and tower and desert, and aha, he is taping to climb some desert crack....

krillen

Oct 3, 2003, 7:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1891 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks to me like he's checking a compass or GPS on a lanyard....

silhouette's are becoming very common place, so they are loisng they effectiveness for portraying emotion. That being said they are fun once and a while, and sometimes...all you can shoot because of the condidiotns.

The colours are fantastic, and the for the composition I'd only crop off a little of the right side. There's a little too much black, by reducing this you are accentuating your colours more effectively.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook