RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

da5id

Oct 4, 2003, 2:52 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

What's stuck in your nalgene?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any interesting stories of unfortunate odors or actual crap stuck persistantly in a nalgene, or other bottle (its true that there's actually more than one water bottle company)?

Personally, i've had the disgusting remains of chef boyardee stuck in the little hole on the plastic top of the bottle. My friend dropped it in 2+ years ago on top of Sargent mountain in Acadia National Park. After drying on there, no amount of soap or water could get it out, and i was too lazy to try and scrape it out with a toothpick. So its still there, which is part of why i never eat chef boyardee anymore...
Also, ive had trouble getting the scent of gin out of one of mine...

m-d
Deleted

Oct 4, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's stuck in your nalgene? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mine smell like very old Gatorade...
very very old gatorade...

to lazy to wash it, i've buy a new one

krestkid

Oct 4, 2003, 7:47 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Both of my nalgenes smell. I try to leave the lids off and let them air out when I'm not using them, but I don't think it helps that much. I know that nalgene.com offers ways to clean bottles and how to remove smells. Oh well, I think the smell adds character!

climbthedj

Oct 5, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One trick to combat the odor issue that actually works is to fill 'er up with hot water and soap and cap it and just let it sit. when you rinse it out before the next time you use it, it will be fresh and clean once again. Then again, I'm lazy about it, so I forget to do it. go figure, ha.

Cheers,
C

kman

Oct 5, 2003, 4:28 AM
Post #5 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Qoute:

In reply to:
One trick to combat the odor issue that actually works is to fill 'er up with hot water and soap and cap it and just let it sit

I find that this method makes it leave a soapy flavor.

pehperboy

Oct 5, 2003, 4:29 AM
Post #6 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing stuck in my Nalgene, but here's the only way to clean one: Bleach. Use 50/50 mix, and it will kill anything that might be alive. May not remove some of the crustier stuff, but it will render it harmless.

Partner missedyno

Oct 5, 2003, 2:29 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a nalgene at work - all i use it for is filtered water.... but there's a strange skunky smell. i dunno, i just learned to no breathe in with my nose when going to take a drink...

oh and the more stickers, the less you can see any gunk in there :D

Partner euroford

Oct 5, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a trusty MSR fuel canister that smells perpetually of jack danials.

note: if you read the packaging on msr fual bottles you'll notice a line reading something like "ceramic lined to resist harsh fluids such as citris and alcoholic bevrages". so, that along with two years of not-dying leads me to beleive its safe to drink JD from a fuel bottle.

i dunno wy, but i'm good at finding "alcoholic bevrages prohibited" campsites. but ya know, i guy has got to cook.

macattack22

Oct 5, 2003, 6:12 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I discovered that skunky smell in one of my nalgenes that I use only for filtered water too, and eventually traced it to a thin film of mold inside the threads of the lid. I took a q-tip with some soapy hot water and scrubbed it out, and it removed most of the smell. I had had the same smell problem with an earlier bottle that I had retired because it just smelled too bad... I had never known there was mold in the lid because that one had a black lid, the new one has a blue lid. I think the key is to rinse out the bottle and the lid frequently with hot, soapy water, (then rinse again with clean hot water) and stand it upside down to drain dry. Of course, I don't use my bottle for anything but water so I don't know if this would help those who put other liquids in theirs.

apollodorus

Oct 5, 2003, 8:21 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Nalgene" is a trademark for bottles and labware made from polyethylene, the same plastic used for one gallon milk and water bottles. Although essentially inert, polyethylene bottles tend to pick up and retain odors. Apparently, polyethylene allows contaminates to migrate right into the material, and they become nearly impossible to remove. The ease at which molecules can diffuse into polyethylene is one of the reasons it's not used for soda bottles (the carbon dioxide gas diffuses out, leaving the soda flat).

Those clear plastic soda bottles (PETE; a type of polyester) are much better as water bottles. They retain almost nothing after being rinsed out. If you use soap or bleach to clean them, they won't keep those as lingering odors. And they are extremely tough and durable. You can comprime (squash) them flat, and then reinflate them. And they cost less than Nalgene bottles.

cracksniffer

Oct 5, 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone have any interesting stories of unfortunate odors or actual crap stuck persistantly in a nalgene, or other bottle (its true that there's actually more than one water bottle company)?

I've never actually crapped in a Nalgene, but I did dump cappucino (actually gas station CRAPpucino) into one because the container it came in was leaking onto my lap while I was trying to drive. I never finished the crappucino and the Nalgene somehow remained in my car for a month or two before I got around to extricating it. The sludgy, gritty residue gave the container a crappish hue that remains to this day, despite near-valiant efforts to restore its original sparkly-blue luster using dish detergent and even bleach. I've been looking around for another promising water bottle company to throw my money at, but many hiking/climbing/L.L. Bean-wearing types have assured me my search will be in vain. Alas, they tell me that in order to truly be a person of the outdoors, one must drink one's fluids from containers which are too heavy and too expensive and which retain dubious residues and odors even though a used plastic soda bottle reinforced with duck tape works just as well.

kimble

Oct 5, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is not true.

krestkid

Oct 6, 2003, 1:12 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used a nalgene to carry some orange juice for breakfast before an early morning hike. Never finished the oj and the nalgene sat in the back of my truck for over 3 weeks in the heat. When I took it out the inside was green and black and furry. Washed it out but never completely removed the stinch...oh well, plug your nose!

revdeuno

Oct 6, 2003, 2:17 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nalgene water bottles are crap.

climb4life

Oct 6, 2003, 2:53 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't mind the nalgene bottles...all i know it that they are capable of carring the vital water i need

climb on

jhump

Oct 6, 2003, 3:17 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lexan Nalgene = 153g
Gatorade Bottle = 53g

A 100g (3.528 oz) savings per bottle makes this an easy one.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook