Premier Sponsor:

beerandblood
Deleted

Jul 24, 2001, 5:26 AM
Post #1 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

The right thing to do!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

import_temporary

fiend

Jul 24, 2001, 5:31 AM
Post #2 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

The right thing to do! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would. 100%
Even if it was a totally idiotic accident that could/should have been avoided. I would hate it though, and possibly beat the climber once he/she recovered enough to take a punch or two in the head.
The only reason I would hesitate is if someone with more first aid qualifications stepped in or got there first.

Partner russman

Jul 24, 2001, 2:26 PM
Post #3 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have helped at many different accidents were originally I was not participating. Mainly becasue I have most of the basic knowledge, and a calm head when dealing with that stuff. For those who would not...suck it up, grow a set and learn the skills that will let you help save someone, no matter how bad the problem. You never know how bad something is (I know there are a few on the site that do) until you are standing there and watch someone close to you die. Personally I watched a camper have a seize and drown while swimming one morning at a camp. He was about half mile away from me, and his spotter didn't see him go under. That was one of the worst things I have ever done was to stand there and talk to his father, who was also watching at the time. that sucks

jsm280

Jul 24, 2001, 3:52 PM
Post #4 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you wait for the fall?????
I have spent many hours teaching strangers the most simple things at the crag just to prevent a fall. Everything from basic belay and rope handling (90%) to setting the toprope to what a backclip is......

I use to walk by, After I saw a fall which involved people I had just walked past 30 min prev. I then decided to help prevent.

Climb on and help others to understand the true beauty, even if they have a biner key chain.

kriso9tails

Jul 24, 2001, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know what I'd do; it's case sensitive really. If somone was laying there with a broken neck, I'd go for help, I'd try to comfort them, but I wouldn't touch them. I don't remember any emergency first aid well enough that I could use. Sometimes there is nothing at all that you can do, which would suck, but I accept that, so it wouldn't bother me. Hey, if it were me, I wouldn't want anyone to lose any sleep over it.

kriso9tails

Jul 24, 2001, 6:36 PM
Post #6 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CPR doesn't do anything aside from prolong the life until the medics arrive, and you probably shouldn't mess with a compound fracture unless you have sound equipment and extensive training. My grade 11 bio teacher knew someone who died of a compound fracture on a femur. It's the largest bone so bleeding to death is common. It is brutally easy to worsen the injury in the feild, so you are very limited in the helpful practices you can apply. Also, the practices are continually changing. Each injury is different, so you really can't learn what you should do in many scenarios in a general course.

kriso9tails

Jul 24, 2001, 6:44 PM
Post #7 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking that unless it's an emergency, you would at least need the training and gear of a paramedic to do anything for most severe injuries. Most first aid teaches you how to keep someone alive until they can get professional medical attention.

Partner jhundrup

Jul 24, 2001, 10:05 PM
Post #8 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no problem laying down my climbing day to go to the aid of someone. I am in Search and Rescue here in Kootenai County. We are all volunteers and any days that we spend searching are on our own time. I do it simply for the satisfaction of helping people out. There is some good training involved too.

Jared

naturalhigh

Jul 27, 2001, 8:58 AM
Post #9 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Growing up the son of a nurse has taught me the value of solid first aid skills. I make sure to carry a good solid first aid kit when i'm in the backcountry or at the crags. I think it's so stupid that people will take a first aid kit with just band-aids and neosporin and expect that to save their life. WRONG! People look at my first aid kit and say "geeze man, planning for the worst?" and yes I am. My view is that the first aid kit is designed to allow you to live through life-threatening situations and get to professional medical care. Frankly, a little scrape isn't very life threatening, but a puncture wound from an ice-pick or bone-deep laceration from a sharp rock edge is. Get the skills to survive and help others survive.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just something that I feel strongly about. gah! those stupid little first aid kits!

So, to get back to the question posed in the original post, I would say that I would without hesitation, in all circumstances, attempt to aid a fallen/injured climber. There is always something to be done in the case of a serious accident; if someone more experienced shows up, then it becomes your job to go get help. Anyways, that's how I feel.

fiend

Jul 27, 2001, 12:50 PM
Post #10 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think what Kris meant about CPR is that it is useless in the backcountry where medics can't get to you. Most people don't realize that CPR only gives you a few extra minutes and is not going to save someone's life without proper medical help. It's not one of those things that most first aid classes teach you.

kriso9tails

Jul 28, 2001, 5:35 AM
Post #11 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At Nemo there's a body board, but I know that most people have a better chance of killing the victim than helping because they don't know what they're doing. It's intended for rescue and trained people. In a critical injury I would only do three things. i) Make sure they don't choke on their vomit or anything else. ii) get help iii) make sure that help can get to the victim. I wouldn't try anything unless it were an absolute last chance situation.

Otherwise I have no problems attending to a fallen comrade.

marcsv

Aug 7, 2001, 10:04 AM
Post #12 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would , its my duty as a red cross volunteer. i'd rather carry him on my shoulders to the nearest hospital.

coach

Aug 7, 2001, 1:46 PM
Post #13 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would agree with Kris on one point. If you are not trained in first aid and CPR your best bet is to comfort the injured, stop any bleeding and wait for medical help. You may agravate the injury by trying to do more (such as moving the injured). Oon the issue of CPR I would somewhat disagree. I have been taught that once CPR is begun you do not stop until the victim recovers breathing on their own or medical help arrives. If you are in the wilderness and nobody is able to go for help then you would have to make the decision on your own as to when to stop but most of us climb in areas where other climbers or hikers may be so if someone starts CPR while someone else is getting help, don't stop. Their are numerous cases of victims having CPR administered by 45 minutes to an hour before medical help arrived and the victim recovered. I would hate to be the victim with someone administering CPR and they just said "Well that's enough"!

Climb On

boulder_chalk

Aug 7, 2001, 4:18 PM
Post #14 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no dout in my mind that i would give up my day to save someone who is in need of my help, the way things should be with fellow climbers is if i was fallen they would do the same for me, climbing is not only about climbing, it's about having a community that is just like you! I know this isn't always the case but for the most part i think people these days that climb would aid whoever need help.

verticalearth

Aug 17, 2001, 11:54 AM
Post #15 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any time man but only it is reachable with all the saftey gear and wont creat another casualty i.e. ME

kriso9tails

Aug 21, 2001, 1:57 AM
Post #16 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If someone was badly injured and there were people attending to the victim, then I'd ask if there was anything i could help with, and if they said no I'd just keep on climbing. If they said yes, then I'd help and then keep on climbing (time permitting). Injuries often draw crowds, but I'm pretty sure that that is counter-productive to first-aid and rescue.

katarinka

Aug 22, 2001, 6:46 AM
Post #17 of 17 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on situation - if you are close to help or somewhere 20km to the nearest dwelling - then you cannot run for someone and leave your friend alone without breathing or severe injury...
Most important is to have a cool head,not make panic, know first aid (CPR) and know how to USE CPR in diferent situations.
I had been in couple of accidences (not yet during climbing) and my experience is that I am able to stay cool and i can "read" the articles in my brain like in the book....
We talked a lot about when to continue the resustitation and when not on ethics classes and with MDs on ER and belive me, it is so difficult to decide....
But the first aim is to save the life...
Climb on!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook