RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

finster

Oct 15, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #1 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Getting engergized in the morning.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is there anything that you eat, drink, do.. to get energized in the morning? Just recently I started to ride my bike to and from school. Even though I am old enough to get my license... but since I don't have much time to climb because of school, I need something to keep me in shape. Anyway... I'm finding it hard to have energy to get up in the morning (being a teen, always sleeping) and ride my bike. Any recommendations?
Thanks and enjoy!

rckclimbergurl

Oct 15, 2003, 3:39 AM
Post #2 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Re: Getting engergized in the morning. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What you need to do is get motivated, so that you want to get up early in the morning. I train for climbing 3 times a week on a team, and twice during the week I have to wake up at 4:50AM!! Now, I know you don't have to get up that early....but still, the point still stands. If I have a goal that I want to accomplish, like....ummmm.....run for 3 hours every week, or something like that, it helps if I tell people about it. Because then I feel I have to do it, because I've already told them that I will. Or, thinking of how tonned you'll be after riding your bike everyday, that seems to work for me too, (not biking though, I hate biking! :P) Hopefully you get my point.

Good luck! Hope that helped!

:D

enigma

Oct 15, 2003, 6:05 AM
Post #3 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is there anything that you eat, drink, do.. to get energized in the morning? Just recently I started to ride my bike to and from school. Even though I am old enough to get my license... but since I don't have much time to climb because of school, I need something to keep me in shape. Anyway... I'm finding it hard to have energy to get up in the morning (being a teen, always sleeping) and ride my bike. Any recommendations?
Thanks and enjoy!

A cup of coffee, a cool shower, a healthy protein shake, and a restful nights sleep. :P

Partner missedyno

Oct 15, 2003, 12:41 PM
Post #4 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i found the same thing when i started biking to work. normally i'd just have a coffee in the morning and take transit to work. biking takes energy....

lots of water, good to send that stuff through your system early on, and have a bowl of healthy cereal (no corn pops!) ... granola with yogurt is great too.

this is just what i found worked for me....

gretchino

Oct 15, 2003, 3:21 PM
Post #5 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I normally wake up and do Yoga...about a half an hour of sun salutations, some early grey tea, a banana, a shower and I'm ready for my day. :D

maculated

Oct 15, 2003, 4:01 PM
Post #6 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have this posted by my bed. It works. I get up like clockwork at 8 everyday to go running:

1. Over 90% of people who exercise *consistently*, exercise in the morning. If you want to exercise consistently, odds are in your favor if you exercise first thing in the morning.
2. When you exercise early in the morning, it "jump starts" your metabolism and keeps it elevated for hours, sometimes up to 24 hours! That means you're burning more calories all day long just because you exercised in the morning!
3. When you exercise in the morning you'll be *energized* for the day! Personally, I feel dramatically different on days when I have and haven't exercised in the morning.
4. Many people find that morning exercise "regulates" their appetite for the day - that they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. Several people have told me that it puts them in a "healthy mindset."
5. If you exercise at about the same time every morning, and ideally wake-up at about the same time on a regular basis, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. Physiologically, some wonderful things begin to happen; A couple of hours *before* you awaken, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen. Why? Because it "knows" you do the same thing just about everyday. You benefit from that in several ways.
a) It's MUCH easier to wake-up. When you wake-up at different times everyday, it confuses your body and thus it's never really "prepared" to awaken.
b) Your metabolism and all the hormones involved in activity and exercise begin to elevate while you're sleeping. Thus, you feel more alert, energized, and ready to exercise when you do wake-up.
c) Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow to muscles, etc.
6. For many people, that appointed time every morning becomes something they look forward to. It's time they've set aside to do something good for themselves - to take care of their body, mind, and soul. Many find that it's a great time to think clearly, pray, plan their day, or just relax mentally.
7. Research has demonstrated that exercise increases mental acuity. On average it lasts four to ten hours after exercise! No sense in wasting that brain power while you're sleeping. :)
8. Exercise first thing in the morning is really the only way to assure that something else won't crowd exercise out of your schedule. When your days get hectic, exercise usually takes a back seat!
9. If finding time to exercise is difficult, anyone can get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier to exercise (if it's a priority in your life). If necessary, you can go to sleep a little earlier. Also, research has demonstrated that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality of sleep and thus require less sleep!
10. You'll feel GREAT! DO IT! :)

deleted
Deleted

Oct 15, 2003, 4:08 PM
Post #7 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get yerself an espresso maker. a couple of triple or quad lattes and ... VROOOOOOOOOM!

dalguard

Oct 15, 2003, 9:39 PM
Post #8 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm trying to imagine having enough energy in the morning to read that list.

fern

Oct 16, 2003, 2:48 AM
Post #9 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

multivitamins!!

this is what made the biggest difference for me waking up and feeling rested.

halfstep

Oct 16, 2003, 3:41 AM
Post #10 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a commuter cyclist (for the last 4 years or so), what I do in the morning is have a bowl of cereal (my favs are raisin bran or mini wheats) and a banana then jump on my bike. I find that the bike ride totally energizes me. Oh and when I get to my destination (school or work or wherever) I'll have a yogurt and drink lots of water.

I have found that my bike ride is what energizes me for the day. I actually look forward to the bike ride. I have developed a dislike to commuting either by public transit or by car. My co-workers also appreciate it when I ride me bike. They find that I am more "cheery" and sociable when I ride my bike in and that I can be downright grumpy when I don't ride.

Over time the ride just becomes part of your day and you look forward to the ride. I love the ride home to destress and absorb what has happened during the day. Soon you will find little detours and scenic spots that you would never get to see if you were in a car.

Enjoy the ride
Halfstep 8)

rckclimbergurl

Oct 16, 2003, 4:08 AM
Post #11 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to have this posted by my bed. It works. I get up like clockwork at 8 everyday to go running:

1. Over 90% of people who exercise *consistently*, exercise in the morning. If you want to exercise consistently, odds are in your favor if you exercise first thing in the morning.
2. When you exercise early in the morning, it "jump starts" your metabolism and keeps it elevated for hours, sometimes up to 24 hours! That means you're burning more calories all day long just because you exercised in the morning!
3. When you exercise in the morning you'll be *energized* for the day! Personally, I feel dramatically different on days when I have and haven't exercised in the morning.
4. Many people find that morning exercise "regulates" their appetite for the day - that they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. Several people have told me that it puts them in a "healthy mindset."
5. If you exercise at about the same time every morning, and ideally wake-up at about the same time on a regular basis, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that. Physiologically, some wonderful things begin to happen; A couple of hours *before* you awaken, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen. Why? Because it "knows" you do the same thing just about everyday. You benefit from that in several ways.
a) It's MUCH easier to wake-up. When you wake-up at different times everyday, it confuses your body and thus it's never really "prepared" to awaken.
b) Your metabolism and all the hormones involved in activity and exercise begin to elevate while you're sleeping. Thus, you feel more alert, energized, and ready to exercise when you do wake-up.
c) Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow to muscles, etc.
6. For many people, that appointed time every morning becomes something they look forward to. It's time they've set aside to do something good for themselves - to take care of their body, mind, and soul. Many find that it's a great time to think clearly, pray, plan their day, or just relax mentally.
7. Research has demonstrated that exercise increases mental acuity. On average it lasts four to ten hours after exercise! No sense in wasting that brain power while you're sleeping. :)
8. Exercise first thing in the morning is really the only way to assure that something else won't crowd exercise out of your schedule. When your days get hectic, exercise usually takes a back seat!
9. If finding time to exercise is difficult, anyone can get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier to exercise (if it's a priority in your life). If necessary, you can go to sleep a little earlier. Also, research has demonstrated that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality of sleep and thus require less sleep!
10. You'll feel GREAT! DO IT! :)

That's a great list!!! I'd do it for sure, as I already get up twice a week at 5 to go climbing, :P , but up here at Calgary, it's totally dark, and really cold during this time of year. The sun doesn't rise till about 8 now, (and it will keep getting later and later) and I have to leave for school at 8:15, and I normally get up at 7:30. Anyone have any suggestions for running in the cold......and the dark? Because even if I got up at 7 to do a half hour run, it would still be dark out.

Any tips/suggestions??
Thanks in advance!!!

(Sorry for half-highjacking this thread! :) )

junkie

Oct 16, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #12 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tedi,

If you want to run in the mornings, especially around here, dress appropriately during the winter. Headband, gloves, running tights, long sleeve running top, vest.

Set a reasonable distance/time goal.

And don't run if it's below -25, as you can get sick, get frost-bite, or even damage your throat breathing in super cold air for a long time.

In the dark: many running pants and tops will have reflective tape on them. This is a must for running around Alberta drivers. Run on the left side of the road so you can see them coming and move if you have to. A small headlamp (Petzl Tikka is killer for this) that won't bug the hell out of you while running is also good.

Should I start the 8:30 runs on Saturday again?

Hope you enjoyed this mornings workout :)

Kboy

sroehlk

Oct 16, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #13 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I used to have this posted by my bed...

Thanks for posting that! I just made a copy of it. I NEED motivation in the morning! It's just that extra hour of sleep always seems so good when the alarm is buzzing away.

alpinelynx

Oct 16, 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #14 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 shot espresso in coffee. tastes great, less filling.

kathy

Oct 24, 2003, 2:10 PM
Post #15 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am NOT A MORNING PERSON - couldn't manage a breakfast, but needed something to get me going in the morning for a training regime - my solution is a smoothie!
In the evening I peel and chop a couple of seasonal fruit - eg - apple and pear, chuck them into a liquidizer with a glass of orange juice and blend away. pour it into a glass and cover it and put it in the fridge. In the morning I just add some water (or ice - its still hot in Malta) and drink it while I get dressed. Its easy and quick, and supplies you with a decent intake of glucose, carbos and vitamins !

maculated

Oct 24, 2003, 3:26 PM
Post #16 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was so tired last night but I get up at 6:30 this morning and went running anyway. That little 'get up and excercise' thing works like a charm.

bear

Nov 4, 2003, 5:28 AM
Post #17 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this is another dumb one... drink lots before bed!
at the very least, the pressure on your bladder will get you out of bed... then by the time you're done, it's too late. you're awake. might as well stay that way.
i also leave my blinds open so the light will help wake me up, not that it works as well during daylight savings time.

chicklet

Nov 4, 2003, 6:23 PM
Post #18 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

how to REAAAALLLY get energized in the morning. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i learned from a gf that having two eggs, EVERY morning for breakfast does the trick.

kimmyt

Nov 4, 2003, 6:37 PM
Post #19 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Re: how to REAAAALLLY get energized in the morning. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never used to eat breakfast, or if I ate anything would have a granola bar or something small on the drive to work. Recently I've started making two scrambled eggs. It's not a huge amount of food, but I have noticed that I tend to be more awake after doing so. Of course, I don't know whether its from the protein or from the mental activity of having to cook the eggs.

K.

catra

Nov 5, 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #20 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I make no excuses.... Keep a positive mind and tell yourself... Its something you just have to do.....

I know I feel better when i'm out on the trails running at 7am, it takes me one hour to get into my groove... Before I know it my 4 hour run is over and I feel great and have tons of energy, and im ready for the day...

Catra

http://www.rocknrun.net

gretchino

Nov 6, 2003, 8:26 PM
Post #21 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Before I know it my 4 hour run is over and I feel great and have tons of energy, and im ready for the day

4 Hour run?! :shock: Ack...I can't think of 4 hours I have to run...nor what my body would do to me if I ran 4 hours...I'll stick to my Yoga. Basically, do what works for you! :lol:

krestkid

Nov 6, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #22 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I could run for four hours! I am not able to run yet because of an ankle injury last month. My school has a half marathon...13 miles in March that I want to try and do this year. I need to get to running if I ever plan on getting there. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them...if only I could run for 4 hours!!

catra

Nov 10, 2003, 1:30 AM
Post #23 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Krestkid-

You can PM me, I would be happy to set up a training program for your half marathon.....

Trust me it's easy to run for 4 hours at a time, when your out on beautiful trails... I don't run on the road....

Good luck..

Catra

http://www.rocknrun.net

climbracer

Nov 10, 2003, 11:33 PM
Post #24 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, Catra I love running> It's just that my 45 year old knees can't take it. Trail running is the greatest! I loved in when I was stationed in Hawaii. I never ran as much as you maybe 2 hours a day. Now. it's a jolt or two of coffee, but I still really get the urge to run. I just don't want to screw up my knees totally. Wow, you really get a total runners high going on those trails.. I envy you!! :D

moabbeth

Nov 11, 2003, 11:57 PM
Post #25 of 25 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word: STRETCHING!!!

It works better than caffeine, gets the whole body energized, your blood flowing, your muscles loosened up.

I started going to yoga in the mornings and it is such a great way to revive and start the day. It awakens the body yet calms the mind and gives you a great outlook to start your day.

And best yet, if you don't have the time to do an hour of yoga, the 15 minute warm up for most Hatha sessions is PERFECT for simple morning wake-me-ups. On days where I can't make it to yoga, I'll still do the stretches. It's easy stretching that opens up the heart, jaw, spine, muscles surrounding the kidneys, liver and other organs. The breathing is calming yet your blood gets flowing. After 15 minutes you're as awakened as you'd be after coffee, but still relaxed and not jittery.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook