Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

olympicmtnboy

Oct 17, 2003, 2:26 AM
Post #1 of 61 (15840 views)
Shortcut

Nut Tool Attachment?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So how do YOU carry YOUR nut tool? I have mine on a length of accessory cord that is tied to a biner. When I need the tool I unclip it from the biner on my harness, but if I drop it, it's still attached by the cord and biner. Actually it's a pain cause I'm always struggling to unclip the tool from the biner or getting the cord tangled up.
I've seen all sort of different ways (chest sling, bungee cord, wrist loop, just not dropping it, etc) But I want to know what works for YOU. I know some of you folks have funky tricks for this.

jono

Oct 17, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #2 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah those are a pain to unclip and mess with. i just started myself so im glad u asked this.

sooo?

ropeburn

Oct 17, 2003, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I deal with unclipping and then reclipping it from gear loops while on lead. While seconding, I just clip it to the rope. When I need it i can pull it up to any position and work with it while not having to unclip it.

:mrgreen:

andypro

Oct 17, 2003, 3:57 AM
Post #4 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A 2 foot loop of Gemini cord. Works as a sling in a pinch, funkness device if needed, and dont ahve to unclip to use it normally.

apollodorus

Oct 17, 2003, 4:02 AM
Post #5 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tie a 4" diameter loop to it. You put your hand through it when you unclip it, and it's nearly impossible to drop. You lose five seconds each time you grab and replace it on your rack.

squish

Oct 17, 2003, 5:04 AM
Post #6 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just trying a new system right now as I got fed up with my shoelace method. It's rainy in Squamish so I was bored and came up with this. It seems to work well in my test lab (read: living room), but I haven't given it the practical test yet.

I got 2 of those keychain mini-biners and a 1m length of thin cord. You could probably do with less cord and any old biners, but the plan is the same.

(If this is sounding familiar and you think I'm just going to get really pedantic, bear with me. A bit of rainy day engineering went into the finer points of this classic system. However, I'm sure it's not 100% original, so if you've been doing it this way for years then be sure to let me know before I apply to have it named after myself.)

[*:ae6a0dc832]Tie a loop in one end of the cord. It should be loose enough to rotate around the spine of the biner. This end of the cord goes on the mini-biner that is attached to the nut tool.
    [*:ae6a0dc832]Fix the other end of the cord securely to the other biner. You can clove hitch it and tie off the end, or make a loop and girth hitch it.
    [*:ae6a0dc832]Hold your nut tool biner which is attached to the loose loop end of your cord. Trick-draw shorten the cord by looping it thru your nut tool biner and clipping it into the fixed biner.
    [*:ae6a0dc832]Trick-draw shorten the cord one more time by grabbing all 3 strands as one, and looping them through the nut tool biner one more time. Clip it to the fixed biner.
    [*:ae6a0dc832]You should now have a very short length between the two biners, and the nut tool attached to the loose-loop biner. Rack it on your harness by the nut tool biner. The fixed attachment biner hangs loose.
    [*:ae6a0dc832]To use: Grab the free-hanging biner. Open it and drop all the loops out of it. Clip it to your rope. Unclip nut tool from harness and bash away.

Things it has going for it: it's tidy and gravityproof. Let me know what you think of it.

maculated

Oct 17, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #7 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Squish, isn't that just way more hassle than it is worth?

My favorite nut tool leash is a phone cord, but I have yet to perfect that so mine is just on accessory cord.

I keep it on a locker (can never have too many spare lockers) or bail biner (ditto). Bowline knot on accessory cord to biner and nut tool. Then I clip the nut tool to biner as well.

I usually just clip the nut tool to the rope and drag it up with me as I climb. Then I will never, ever, drop it.

If you learn to climb with me, you know that rule number 1 is DO NOT DROP ANYTHING.

herm

Oct 17, 2003, 6:08 AM
Post #8 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

always use your partners rack....

andypro

Oct 17, 2003, 6:51 AM
Post #9 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My favorite nut tool leash is a phone cord, but I have yet to perfect that so mine is just on accessory cord.

They make coiled security cords for computers and such. They have a swaged loop on each end, and are porabbly the equivalent to a coiled 3 or 4mm accessory cord. May want to look into that. It's actually not a bad idea...hmm...I smell a marketing scheme comming on!

squish

Oct 17, 2003, 6:58 AM
Post #10 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Squish, isn't that just way more hassle than it is worth?

What can I say, it's raining here.

Maybe it is a hassle, but for the moment it has a cool, engineered, BetterWay[tm], "look what I made" air about it. That may change after I feel like strangling myself with it on my first day out.

I can retrieve it one handed, and not drop anything. I like that part of it...

Have you tried it? It's really not a hassle at all once you've practiced putting it away a couple of times.

That said, it's a nut tool. It's not life-threatening. Do what works for you, and carry a big hex.

karlbaba

Oct 17, 2003, 7:49 AM
Post #11 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have enough nut tools that I've found at the base of long climbs that I was considering making a wind chime out of them for awhile. I don't recommend just trying "not to drop" your nut tool as a strategy. Too easy to whack your knuckles and drop it.

I like using cord with full strength for the nut tool. It can be used as a funkness device, emergency runner, prussic cord or whatnot.

peace

Karl

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 17, 2003, 10:07 AM
Post #12 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the metolius extractor and eliminate the biner. i think it was apollodorus?? that was a good suggestion, i might try that

imnotclever

Oct 17, 2003, 12:23 PM
Post #13 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had an old coat that had one of those stretchy elastic ropes at the bottom of it, similar to the cord inside of tent poles. Well I tied that to a biner and the other end to the tool. The biner I clip to my harness and then clip tool into the biner. When I need it I just unclip the tool and streach the cord to where I need it. I suppose I could add another biner at the tool to make uncliping from the harness eaiser.

kathy

Oct 17, 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #14 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi - Have only started leading/seconding on natural gear recently and was thinking about this problem - I thought a good idea would be to stick the nut key on one of those things that one uses to put the ski pass in the machinr.... the elasticated ones (know what i'm taking about) or else was going to try one of those small dog "retractable" leads.... has anyone tried any of the above (save me the experimentation?) :P

markc

Oct 17, 2003, 1:39 PM
Post #15 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got this tip a while back, and it's worked well for me. I use a janitor-style retractable keychain. The version I have has several feet of reach, and a thin, plastic-coated cable. Attach the tool with the standard circular keyring, which is much lower profile than a biner. I clip it to my chalk bag belt, but I was a little worried about it coming unclipped. I girth hitched a small hair elastic through it, and threaded the belt as a back-up. You could certainly use small cord, but I just looked around the house for a suitable alternative.

I leave it towards the back of my belt when leading, and bring it forward when I second a pitch. I can easily grab it, spool as far as my reach to clean a piece, and when I'm done, I just let it go. If it gets away from me, not a big deal.

On occasion, my tool will snag a branch, a sling, etc. That can get a bit annoying. If I know I won't need my tool for a while, I'll clip it with a biner to a harness loop. That works well enough to prevent accidental deployment.

mark

nikdemeis

Oct 17, 2003, 1:47 PM
Post #16 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out the comments at the end of this page lots of ideas there.\

http://www.climerware.com/ntool.shtml

kathy

Oct 17, 2003, 1:56 PM
Post #17 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep- i guess the key-chain thing is probably better than the ski pass (as usually the chord is quite thin) and the small dog lead (as the mechhanism bit is quite big) - will try to find one!

vegastradguy

Oct 17, 2003, 1:57 PM
Post #18 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shock cord. when stretched out, it's arm length, when its not, its 12 inches long. tie it to a mini biner, clip it to the harness. clip the tool to the same biner.

hugepedro

Oct 17, 2003, 3:03 PM
Post #19 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 biners (Neutrinos). 2.5 feet of 4mm cord with loops tied in ends, biners clipped to loops. 1 biner also has a Leatherman Micra tool clipped to it, and this biner is clipped to my gear loop. The other biner is clipped to the nut tool then clipped to the 1st biner on my harness.

deleted
Deleted

Oct 17, 2003, 3:18 PM
Post #20 of 61 (15828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

two options:

1. tie a 2' piece of 3mm accessory cord to it; tie an 8 on a bight to the other end and clip a small accessory biner to it. when you need it, simply clip the biner to the rope and pry away.

2. clip it to your harness with a biner (no accessory cord). you'll only have to drop it once to learn your lesson.

bear in mind that (in most cases) you'll use the tool only a small percentage of the time. except in the case of removing aid pieces, if you're having to use your nut tool to remove every piece, you really need to smack yer leader and tell him (or her) not to over-seat the gear.

dino

Oct 17, 2003, 3:22 PM
Post #21 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

always use your partners rack....

hahhaha...thats good.

Get used to your nut tool as the most anoying piece of gear you must have. Biner + accessory cord is as good as it gets.

icelandwinky

Oct 17, 2003, 3:26 PM
Post #22 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use one of those retractable key chains. You know the ones you always see janitors wearing with a million keys on it. I just clip it to my gear loop and viola! It's like 10 feet long so i just grab it, pull it up and then let it go when im done.
Travis

hugepedro

Oct 17, 2003, 3:37 PM
Post #23 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get used to your nut tool as the most anoying piece of gear you must have.

Nothing that doubles as a bottle opener can be called annoying.

Partner calamity_chk

Oct 17, 2003, 7:13 PM
Post #24 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nothing that doubles as a bottle opener can be called annoying.

amen to that !!

as for not dropping, i generally clip it into the sling of the piece that i'm trying to clean if it's a concern - but i'm better with smacking myself in the face with gear than i am with dropping it. (seriously, a bloody nose and fat lip .. be careful .. those nuts are dangerous!)

markc

Oct 17, 2003, 7:45 PM
Post #25 of 61 (15838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm better with smacking myself in the face with gear than i am with dropping it.

I haven't caught myself in the face, but I had a large nut (pro'ly #12 or 13) pop out of a constriction, slide down the rope, and pendulum on its 2' sling into my ankle bone. Hurt like hell. Luckily, I was at a really good stance that allowed for moderate hopping and swearing.

mark (my aforementioned attachment system saved my nut tool)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook