RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

blueeyedclimber

Oct 21, 2003, 3:36 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Outdoor Adventures for teens?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My fiance and I want to (eventually) start our own Outdoor Adventures company for inner city/at risk teens. It will probably be just a summer thing, but I was wondering if there were any climbers out there who have done it/do it and what are some things we need to consider. Expenses, training, insurance, liability, etc.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about insurance in case I wanted teach rock climbing to some of my students during the summer? I teach up to 6th grade.

thanks, any info appreciated

Josh

climbhigh2005

Oct 21, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Re: Outdoor Adventures for teens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tha sounds awesome!! that kind of what I want to do after college... open a outfitters!

pupjr

Oct 21, 2003, 9:21 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm trying to start something similiar to that, except just guiding college students. The biggest thing you'll need before the insurance will be certifications. First get your WFR, then since you probably just plan on doing top rope stuff, get an AMGA top rope manager certifcation. That will make you look good on paper. Insurance is a tough one. I'd ask other guiding companies what insurance they use, and ask thse insurance companies if they will cover such things. It'll probably be quite expensive since you'll be working with children.

roseraie

Oct 21, 2003, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am an intern at an organization in San Diego that does this. Check out www.outdooroutreach.org . If you have questions about how Outdoor Outreach got started, I am sure Chris Rutgers would be more than happy to answer questions. His contact info is available on the organization Web site. Good luck! It's an awesome goal, the kids really react to it, I very much support organizations like this.

Meg

nobody

Oct 21, 2003, 10:00 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been in that industry for almost 10 years. Insurance is NOT as expensive as many expect. Land use permits can be a real hassle (though I just noticed that you're in the East, where permits don't seem to be as big of a deal). Your biggest concern will be marketing, as this market is fairly flooded. Also, check your teaching contract to make sure that it's okay to use your job as a vehicle in this pursuit.

gwen

Oct 21, 2003, 10:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's lots of info out there for this kind of thing.

Check out www.aee.org (Association for Experiential Education), www.outdoornetwork.com (info on outdoor industry for professionals and organizations), and www.pa.org (Project Adventure - adventure-based learning).

There's lots of post-secondary courses that can help you learn about similar stuff. Being Canadian, I'm not totally sure what's available in the US, but I know Prescott College has a well-respected adventure education program. Here in Canada, the University College of the Cariboo in British Columbia probably has the most unique program for that kind of thing.

Good luck!

survivalexpert

Oct 21, 2003, 11:46 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa that sounds pretty sweet, if you get it going by this summer, sign me up as a guide in training and you'll help make my day, I mean life. I mean, Im going to college to become a guide, so if you needed any help I'd be happy to lend myself. Im just not keen on insurance and whatnot, bu I know businesses always have to file state paperwork to be approved and whatnot.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook