Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

mother_sheep

Oct 23, 2003, 2:57 PM
Post #1 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

The Climbing BOOM!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You think climbing is popular now, just wait about 8-10 more years. I work for Denver Public Schools as the Construction Buyer and in some fashion, am involved in the majority of construction jobs throughout the District. What I've been noticing in our District and others such as the Cherry Creek School District is the sudden inclusion of climbing wall in the new schools and the addition of climbing walls to existing facilities. It's becoming a trend. I'm wondering how this is going to impact the climbing community years from now. Since all of these kiddos are "climbing" in school now, I can't help but wonder if it's going to cause a mass boom to our little culture once they're older. I forsee that years from now the crags are going to be even more over populated than what they already are. When I was a kid, a climbing wall in any school was virtually unheard of and look at how many of us there are out there now. Any thoughts on this?

billcoe_

Oct 23, 2003, 3:01 PM
Post #2 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Re: The Climbing BOOM! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not good ones Tracy:

magnesio

Oct 23, 2003, 3:05 PM
Post #3 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's inevitable

cthcrockclimber

Oct 23, 2003, 3:06 PM
Post #4 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well if it werent for climbing gyms I would never know the joy of what has now become my passion so i guess i cant argue against it.

dontfall

Oct 23, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #5 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The more, the marrier. If kids can get into climbing at a young age and make a positive influence on them while they are young, maybe it will keep them from doing the usuall drug and drinking thing after school. Or even during school for that matter. Hopefully climbing does become a big BOOM in schools. It'd be awesome to hear kids say how cool school was instead of hearing them say it sucks, I don't wanna do it anymore.

just my $.02,

Chris

mother_sheep

Oct 23, 2003, 3:11 PM
Post #6 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well if it werent for climbing gyms I would never know the joy of what has now become my passion so i guess i cant argue against it.

I can't really argue against it either. 1. Because I'm a mother who introduced both of her sons to climbing. 2. I think teaching children to climb is benificial on a physical and emotional level.

BUT I guess I'm a hypocrite because I'm one of those selfish people who wants to go out w/1 partner and not see another soul until my day is done. I should have been climbing in the 70s because it seems like those precious days of solitude are already a thing of the past.

mother_sheep

Oct 23, 2003, 3:13 PM
Post #7 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The more, the marrier. If kids can get into climbing at a young age and make a positive influence on them while they are young, maybe it will keep them from doing the usuall drug and drinking thing after school. Or even during school for that matter. Hopefully climbing does become a big BOOM in schools. It'd be awesome to hear kids say how cool school was instead of hearing them say it sucks, I don't wanna do it anymore.

just my $.02,

Chris

That's a great point Some children don't have enough positive influences and if climbing can turn it around for them, then it's a wonderful thing.

dontfall

Oct 23, 2003, 3:28 PM
Post #8 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

just my $.02,

Chris

That's a great point Some children don't have enough positive influences and if climbing can turn it around for them, then it's a wonderful thing.

It took me a good 10 minutes to write that post. I'm glad someone agree's with it. Thanks

wigglestick

Oct 23, 2003, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I don't think the increase of indoor walls at school will make any difference in the amount of people who take up the sport. In the past few years the outdoor recreation industry has gone into decline. Less mountain bikes are being sold, less climbing gear is being sold and less people are venturing out of their homes. Think about the car ads you see on tv these days compared to the ones you saw 3-5 years ago. Back then corporate America was selling us the extreme image. The Nissan Xterra ads are a perfect example. Now the newest Nissan commercial has two rough and rugged, bug eating guys crossing paths with a SUV full of kids playing video games in the back seat. SUV's are being marketed to people for their "everyday adventures" like antiqueing and making a run to Home Depot.

Plus, as soon as every jr. high kids starts doing something it is no longer cool. How many professional 4-square teams are there?

iltripp

Oct 23, 2003, 3:44 PM
Post #10 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say that learning to climb has been one of the most positive and beneficial experiences of my life. It is an outlet for frustration, a passion, and a great workout. I started learning at a young age (around 13) and although I would go a year or so without seeing a crag at times, I still feel that I benefitted immensely from this sport as I was growing up. I say it's a great thing if more and more kids start getting interested in climbing. I think it is awesome to see a 10 year old climb a 5.10, or even to be on a wall at all. I, for one, am interested to see what this does to the level of climbing in the future. A 5.15 was absolutely unheard of years ago, but the increase in technology and ability has made such feets possible. What will a whole generation of climbers who start at such an early age turn out to be. We might see some really amazing stuff in the future.

As for crags getting more crowded, that is inevitable, but I don't think we need to be concerned. The majority of this climbing boom is going to remain where they learned, in a gym. Remember that this is an expensive sport that requires time and commitment. Being a gym rat (no insult intended) is quite a bit different than investing in a whole rack of gear. That being said, a good number of these new climbers will become regular outdoor climbers like the rest of us, and we may see an increase at our local crags in the future, but there is always rock to be found. Those of us who want a good climb and don't mind the crowd can get in line for some classic Valley floor routes. Those of us (myself included) who truly love the solitude of a climb in a remote area will just have to hike a little farther to find that remote crag that gives us the silence, independence, and peace that we crave for our climbing.

mother_sheep

Oct 23, 2003, 3:53 PM
Post #11 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give me a break. You can hardly compare climbing to ping-pong or four square. Then again, I did go through this phase where I was totally addicted to ping-pong but it faded because of the monotony. I think we can probably all agree that climbing rarely gets boring and the challenge is almost always there, which is part of the allure and keeps people coming back for more. Teaching kids to climb in school will give them a leg up on say people like me who started at age 29. Not to mention, once they realize their abilities and see that it is possible to do something that some deem impossible, they're going to want it more. I bet once they transfer those skills they learned indoors to outdoors, they'll be hooked. Just wait and see.

cthcrockclimber

Oct 23, 2003, 3:55 PM
Post #12 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe it's just a fad? anyone remember pog/milk-caps

mother_sheep

Oct 23, 2003, 3:59 PM
Post #13 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe it's just a fad? anyone remember pog/milk-caps

That fad lasted about 2 hours in my house. :lol:

trillium

Oct 23, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #14 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think the indoor climbing wall boom will have a huge impact on the number of people who climb trad outdoors because it takes so much more work, knowledge, and expense to get to a crag and haul all your equipment out along with you, then it is to drive to a rockgym. I think it may affect the outdoor bouldering population because the equipment is less expensive, and it will somewhat impact the sport climbing population because there is less to learn when it comes to protection. I feel that in general, people are lazy and take the route of least resistance when it comes to entertainment. Having worked at a rockgym for a few years, my observation is that there seems to be a very small percentage of people who actually climb outdoors compared to people who are strictly gym monkeys.

wigglestick

Oct 23, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #15 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

90% of the population are lazy sacks of lard. Just because there is a climbing wall in their jr. high doesn't mean they will suddenly want to become dedicated athletes for the rest of their lives. A small percentage of kids may continue with the sport after they get out of school. But the rest will go back to their TV's and video games just like they do after playing soccer, football, and every other sport that millions of kids play.

The Boom occured in the mid to late 90's when the economy was at an all time high and the baby boomers were going through their mid life crisis. Now they have moved on. I see skateparks freaking everywhere these days and I bet that skating isn't anywhere near as popular was it was in its heyday. By the number of skate parks that I see skating should be bigger that the NFL, NHL, NBA, combined. But the fact remains that people are lazy and would rather watch others compete than do it themselves.

nikdemeis

Oct 23, 2003, 4:13 PM
Post #16 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my observation is that there seems to be a very small percentage of people who actually climb outdoors compared to people who are strictly gym monkeys.

I can agree with that. I've noticed most people in the gym don't follow the routes anyhow. Someone else noticed this in another post saying that people then think climbing is easy and either don't persue it and if they do are surprised there first time out. Also Climbing in a gym is pretty easy cause its all set up for you. When you climb outdoors you have to set everything up for yourself. Obviously this takes some more knowledge of how to tie in and belay a person. So then these kids would have to go out and find other climbers to teach them, which was a pretty hard task for me. I feel like its just going to be an indoor boom with very minimal impact on outdoor climbing.

apolobamba

Oct 23, 2003, 4:26 PM
Post #17 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, Climbing will not keep kids away from drugs. Hell, most of my drug using friends are climbers.

messa

Oct 23, 2003, 4:33 PM
Post #18 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting kids to climb in school could probably cause them to dislike it very much. It will be something they have to do, and not something they chose to do. If they had to chose to like it or not, it would probably be not. however, it would be really great health-wise. Kids are getting pretty obese pretty fast in Noth America, its pretty sickening, so introducing more activities can maybe decrease that rapidly increasing rate.
Well, who knows.
I just shrug my shoulders and say meh.

gat

Oct 23, 2003, 4:42 PM
Post #19 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, Climbing will not keep kids away frrom drugs. Hell, most of my drug using friends are climbers.

I'd have to agree. Wether it be climbing, mtn biking, WW kayaking, skiing. A lot of us seek intense experiences - drug use is the first way a lot of people find that first "experience". If you participate in these sports and disagree, I'd have to say take a better look around. If you don't realize it, it's probably because those involved realize you are "straight" and are making sure you are not aware.

As far as increased climbing population. A similar discussion took place in the thread on the TA doll. I have some thoughts on this:

1. The secret is out. Increased #'s of gyms, commercials, toys does not matter. Climbing has already been exposed to the public through the media. I believe it past the "critical point", meaning - it has been publicized enough to influence anyone who has the genetic makeup to be interested in climbing. Any increase in media attention just gives us another opportunity to laugh at their incorrect use of terminology and gear in commercials and movies.

2. Easily accesible top-roping areas will probably see some level of increased use. Top roping requires rather minimal rope setting skills and relatively minimal investment. Also, the users can drop ropes on less dificult climbs.

3. Sport climbing areas may see some increase, but not as much as the top-rope only areas. Why? Because the vast majority of bolted routes are 5.10 or harder. It takes some level of dedication to reach this level. Of course, this can be done in any of the increasingly more popular gyms - thus there will most likely be increased numbers of sport climbers outside.

4. Trad climbing areas are the safest from any population explosion. How safe an area is is directly related to how far it is from the nearest place to park. To echo others on this thread - it requires dedication over time, not to mention a certain "intestinal fortitude" ( I have always liked that phrase, don't know why) that many do not have.

Just my thoughts.

lunatixx

Oct 23, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #20 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2 years ago, 3 highschools opened indoor climbing walls for their gym classes, they are open to climbers every night...but i must say ...they are very basic walls and not very high ! they were made to teach climbing like teaching soccer or badmington ! also, i don't think there is such a climbing boom here in quebec, but i can say its very trendy to wear a carabiner on your backpack and talking about going to british columbia ! to climb ? nah... to go smoke weed and snowboard ! as a matter of fact, many friends had told me they were into climbing and they are not they have outdoor packs ! nalgene bottles etc! and climbing can not become that popular because of the hights,most of the teens prefer having fun , their own fun isn't climbing yet.....

dontfall

Oct 23, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #21 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also, Climbing will not keep kids away from drugs. Hell, most of my drug using friends are climbers.

I don't understand the mix of using drugs and climbing. It's so stupid. Just doing drugs alone is completly stupid.

adventureman

Oct 23, 2003, 4:53 PM
Post #22 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm thinking that, yeah, climbing will become more popular, but it will level off. Acrophobia still exists, distaste for dirt, sweat and pain still exists, boredom still exists.

I think shaky is right...climbing is very different from other "sport fads". It involves a lot of determination and physical endurance that most people aren't going to be willing to put into it. Sure, the rock gyms may get more populated, but that'll top off at some point. And I don't think that the crags will get that bad, for the reasons shaky stated.

I just hope people learn to be responsible climbers, not just people who use up the landscape and abuse it.

dingus

Oct 23, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #23 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I don't understand the mix of using drugs and climbing. It's so stupid. Just doing drugs alone is completly stupid.

Then you must never, ever, in your entire life, do something as stupid as that! No aspirin. No pain killers of any kind. No nothing. No antibiotics. No asthama inhibitors. No liquor of any kind. No cough syrup. Live life like a caveman and die young. Very young.

But since you've been pumped with drugs from likely before you were born... it's too late. The food you eat, the water you drink and the very air you breath hava drugs in them. Hell, if you have a US currency bill older than a few years you will certainly be rubbing your fingers in cocaine. Every day.

Ya druggie.

(did ya ever stop to think those preseratives might be preserving you? (Grace Slick, Jefferson (um) Starship?))

DMT

dingus

Oct 23, 2003, 5:04 PM
Post #24 of 67 (4505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think climbing walls in public schools are great. Wish they had them when I was a tot. Now I'll have to lobby my daughter's schools since I was driven off the climbing wall at my gym.

DMT

static_climber

Oct 23, 2003, 5:18 PM
Post #25 of 67 (4346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was totaly addicted to pong not ping pong but pong. lol i think its good that kids are getting introduced to climbing even if they dont like it at least they are getting the chance to see if they do. i never had the chance in school to climb until i convinced one of the clubs at school to go climbing. that was this year my senior year so 11 years of school and i never got the chance to go climbing wiht my school. so i htink its good that schools are introducing climbing.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook