RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

imnjerz

Oct 24, 2003, 5:48 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Killer Abs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want em!!! Yesterday at my gym I saw some woman cruising around with a set of abs that would make a sculptor weep. Now that I've seen them, I must have ... Any ladies out there have a good routine that specifically targets abs (both front and side, so you get that nice cut down the front of your hips)?

I've been taking pilates, which works pretty well, but I want to start doing some sets, like in the morning, before work or at the gym that'll be a good gut buster. I want those puppies to burn!! Guys : feel free to lend some input here - I've seen plenty of ripped stomachs on y'all as well.

traddad

Oct 24, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Re: Killer Abs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, get some good genes. If you don't have 'em, check into gene therapy. I like Genentech. Second, do a LOT of different exercises. Real crunches, ab rolls on a ball, leg raises from two positions, hip thrusts (OK, that sounds puernographic but it helps the lower abs) and a bunch of pilates type work.
Oh yeah....don't eat anything for a month.

maculated

Oct 24, 2003, 7:59 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh yeah....don't eat anything for a month.

No kidding.

powerpuff

Oct 24, 2003, 9:09 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That cut by the hipbone is best achieved 1) when one has 0% body fat composition and 2) this killer variation on the side crunch: lie on your side, supporting your weight on your elbow. Bend your knees slightly into your chest. Place your other hand behind your head. Contract your obliques, lifting both legs off the ground and bringing your upper body up at the same time. Do 20 reps and switch sides. 3 sets a day should leave you with much pain. :wink: Also, holding a plank pose for 2 minutes works core wonders. Keep in mind you can have killer ab muscles, but no one is going to see that six pack if it's hidden behind a layer of fat, so a cardio workout is crucial if you want everyone to be able to ogle at your cut abs.

overlord

Oct 25, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. abdominal excercises (so you get some volume into those muscles)

2. cardio workout (so you show the gained volume)

ecocliffchick

Oct 27, 2003, 1:14 AM
Post #6 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can always fake it with some stage make-up. It'll ad more definition to the abs you've already got and you can save yourself the pain of all those nasty crunches.

rckclimbergurl

Oct 27, 2003, 2:32 AM
Post #7 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You can always fake it with some stage make-up. It'll ad more definition to the abs you've already got and you can save yourself the pain of all those nasty crunches.

lol, but then you won't have 'em when you need 'em!!! For those crucial moves in that problem that you've been trying to send for a month, etc.

I'm sure I've done enough to have them, I just need to run so that people can see 'em!!

And not eat for a month, which will NEVER happen, lol

:D

kellie

Oct 27, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want em!!! Yesterday at my gym I saw some woman cruising around with a set of abs that would make a sculptor weep. Now that I've seen them, I must have ... Any ladies out there have a good routine that specifically targets abs (both front and side, so you get that nice cut down the front of your hips)?

I've been taking pilates, which works pretty well, but I want to start doing some sets, like in the morning, before work or at the gym that'll be a good gut buster. I want those puppies to burn!! Guys : feel free to lend some input here - I've seen plenty of ripped stomachs on y'all as well.

Go climbing in thailand (or heck, just travel in most developing countries) for a few weeks. Eventually you'll eat the wrong thing, get sick for five days or so, lose 10 lbs, and voila! abs to die for.

At least that's the only thing that has ever worked for me.

imnjerz

Oct 27, 2003, 9:26 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks, i spent 4 months in thailand and was sick for about 80% of the trip; subsequently lost 15 lbs, but gained it all back the minute i set foot on us soil. i'm gonna try that side crunch routine though cause i had someone else suggest it as well. thanks for all the good info and keep it coming ...

estherator

Oct 28, 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gorillas, hanging leg raises, to start. Doudle crunches until you puke, and massive amounts of cardio. (The gorillas will come in handy on roofs and overhangs, too)

kathy

Oct 28, 2003, 10:46 AM
Post #11 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what are gorillas?

acegirl

Oct 28, 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once had abs that gave some merit to the term 'ripped'. That was when I was doing a lot of running and resistance work.
So as people have been saying, strong toned muscle won't be revealed without a cardio workout as well. Running tends to have the quickest effect, but also any team sport is great - ultimate frisbee is great fun if you haven't tried it!
A swiss ball is really good for core strength, as is pilates and yoga.

caughtinside

Oct 28, 2003, 5:50 PM
Post #13 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kellie is right. I got sick and lost 10 pounds and am now so weak and skinny I have a six pack by default.

I have heard that those spray on tanning salons do different shades on you, to give you muscles where you have none! Pretty sweet!

estherator

Oct 28, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what are gorillas?

One arm pullup/hanging leg lift combo movement. They make you sick-strong when you can do them. Start with reg. pullup/leg lift.

the_pirate

Oct 28, 2003, 7:02 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, here's the_pirate's ass-kickin', ab-rippin' workout plan:

Get yourself a low stool or an ottoman or something similar to sit on and a couch or doorjamb to tuck your feet under. You want to be able to go slightly beyond horizontal, a-la roman chair sit-ups. Keep your hands behind your head, but don't pull on it.

Here's the kicker.... Have your roomie, spouse, partner, etc. kneel next to the stool with their hands together, big-potato style. At the slight pause when you reach horizontal, they are to raise the big-potato over their head and bring it down as hard as possible on your belly button. Do three sets of however many you can stomach. (yes, weak pun, I know.)

nnichols

Oct 29, 2003, 5:34 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) this killer variation on the side crunch: lie on your side, supporting your weight on your elbow. Bend your knees slightly into your chest. Place your other hand behind your head. Contract your obliques, lifting both legs off the ground and bringing your upper body up at the same time. Do 20 reps and switch sides.

You can see this on Tae-Bo advanced workout - there is an ab workout at the end and although it isn't extremely intensive, it will give you some good ideas.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook