RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

indigo_nite

Oct 30, 2003, 6:43 PM
Post #1 of 2 (807 views)
Shortcut

scarpa marathon (trad shoes)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I tend to climb a bit in Jtree and need to replace my shoes.

Someone recommended scarpa marathons and I wondered if others had good/bad experiences with them. I tend to need a little wider of a toe box than ave. I found w/ some of the low end 5.10 shoes I've been wearing (meaning I've been too cheap to buy $100+ shoes not that I don't like 5.10), the toes really hurt when I need to toe jam.

got an emergency pair of boreal aces and I like the thickness of toe rubber but they're too small lengthwise... I generally like to climb moderate trad (1-3 pitch) stuff, comfort is important and I'll try forking a little extra $ for performance (ideally $80-120). Thanks.

elgecko

Oct 30, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #2 of 2 (807 views)
Shortcut

Re: scarpa marathon (trad shoes) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got Marathons and climb at the Tree often. I've got wide feet also and get a good fit with the Marathons. I sized them tight but find they're a comfortable shoe. I imagine a looser fit would render them plain cushy.

As for cracks, jamming is less painful in the Marthons than in 5.10 Mocasyms (but that's not saying much). The heel tread can be somewhat sketchy while walking down steep slabs or trying to get an inside "smedge". However, the heel pad is great when popping off boulder problems.

All in all, I like the Marathons. They do well in many situations, are easy to get on/off, and are comfortable. They are expensive but are stout and should take mulitple Stealth resoles.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook