RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

Nov 2, 2003, 6:53 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

RfC- Jay on Smokin' Guns
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=19822

This is Jay (jt512) on a steep sport route called Smokin' Guns in Queen Creek, AZ. The lighting at this wall can be funky, cos it's a curvy slot canyon, and combine that with the overhang and the late afternoon sun and you get a rather tough route to shoot, aesthetic as the line is. So, I pushed my 400 speed film all the way out to 3200 (!) and came up with this. (I am sprayin' this cos I have never "pushed" film before ;) I feel like, special and stuff)

I, for one, like the lines- his parallel straight arms offset by his legs- one on, one dangling. I also like how the shadow seems to spit him out. And, for purely personal reasons, I think he's kinda cute in this pic :mrgreen: heheh

Whatcha think?

roughster

Nov 3, 2003, 7:40 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Re: RfC- Jay on Smokin' Guns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the shot, my only two suggestions:

#1 It kind of looks like he is dangling by the rope. Either a little slack or less rope showing would diminish this effect.

#2 Its too bad you can't see his hands. I like the shadows, but not when they cover peoples hands in climbing pics.

But like I said, over all a very nice shot.

melekzek

Nov 3, 2003, 9:15 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the verticals in the picture, everything is hanging down, his arms, gear, chalkbag, leg and rope all create a very strong vertical image. My complaint will be about his body, or lack of it. From your perspective, we cannot see his body, and his legs seem to come from his shoulders, lol. Is it his hairy chest ? Overall I like your framing, but maybe giving some space from the right ?
By pushing the film, you lost shadow details, but this is a very hard shot to get, and I think you did a great job

climbsomething

Nov 4, 2003, 12:41 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My complaint will be about his body, or lack of it. From your perspective, we cannot see his body, and his legs seem to come from his shoulders, lol. Is it his hairy chest ?
hehehe :lol: it IS actually. Jay's kinda furry ;)

krillen

Nov 4, 2003, 3:52 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.) I love the leading line the rope makes coming into the shot, and up to the climber. very nice.

2.) Again, the climber has just clipped leaving him relatively safe, so some of the urgency and emotion are lost.

3.) I agree with the Shadowed hands comments. It's frustrating that I can't see what he's holding onto.

4.) Like Mel said, great lines (arms, draws, legs)

5.) I like the way his eyes lead your eye out of the shot. In with the rope, subject, out with the eyes (very nice).

cheer

Partner philbox

Nov 4, 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh, I`d love to know how to photoshop a great big plastic climbing gym hold up there where his hands would be hanging on to.

cryder

Nov 11, 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah! Shadows! If you go sepia, or b&W, or monochrome, go for it all the way; with shadow intensity, grain, detail... whatever it takes to pay off a lack of 256 other colors. Gravity is present as well. I personally enjoy the hang time from the gear, as I feel its consistent with the contemplation of his next move, and also lends continuity to mood created by the deep shadows. Sometimes a break from the intensity of climbing is a break from cliche. Nice work.

- Nicholas

dsafanda

Nov 12, 2003, 6:24 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like this photo very much.

One thing that bothers me though is the color. Yuck! Everything on the light end of the spectrum is looking very pink on my monitor. Even the hot spots on the climbers shoulders and forehead are pinkish. I'm sort of fanatical about calibrating my monitor so I'm assuming it's not just me. Was this color or BW film? In any event, I'd either make the file a grayscale Jpeg or at least reduce color saturation. Some quick tweaking will make it great.

extra_finger_hold

Nov 12, 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Really like the shot! Although I must agree about the lack of shadow detail...pushing film will always yeild high contrast if processed normally...it looks like u used chromogenic film though..so... What film was it anyway? and what developer did u use?

no_limit

Nov 13, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good contrast on this photo, but maybe dodge out the shadow where his hands are, a little. Don't lose the shadow, though, it makes it look mysterious.

unabonger

Jan 2, 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent shot under tough conditions. My hat is off to you!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook