RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

celticelement

Nov 12, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #1 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

Velbon MAXi 343E Tripod (?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone had any experience with this tripod?

Is there any other tripods I should consider for backpacking/climbing/outdoor stuff. I am just looking for a durable, functional, tripod.

I have a pentax manual 35mm camera with a 28-210 lense on it.

(Link I found it on: http://macworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=768425&zip_code=20755&ut=4430340f51b7ed83 )

olle

Nov 12, 2003, 8:48 PM
Post #2 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

Re: Velbon MAXi 343E Tripod (?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright, now I can make myself useful and answer that question.

I'd have to say that Velbon tripods pretty much sucks. Although I have never owned the particular tripod that you are referring too, I have a friend who has a velbon tripod (one of the more expensive velbons not the same model no. as you ask about but I am not sure if the model that you describe is really available in Sweden or if their model no. is the same overseas) and I have borrowed his once and seen the result. That was before buying my own much more expensive but so much better Manfrotto tripod. I have experimented a lot with long shutter times and running water and so has he. When we compare our shots, mine are much clearer despite similar optics and cameras. I have a Manfrotto tripod with a fairly cheap ball head and he has a velbon.

I have to say, when it comes to tripods its worth it to put in a little extra and get a real and stable tripod. You WILL be able to tell the difference between a Velbon and a Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod.

My advice is that you buy a heavy tripod and also consider carrying a bean bag that you can fill with rocks and the stuff to weigh it down even more.

I consider carrying my tripod (4kg incl. head) extra exercise and don't really mind it. You could of course buy a much more expensive carbon fibre tripod which is both stable and light but that is gonna cost you.

If you want to get serious with your photography and want to be comfortable in more than a light breeze forget the Velbon and get a real tripod.

sandbag

Nov 12, 2003, 9:40 PM
Post #3 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. Go online and look for a good tripod, Gitzo is pricey and good, they last forever, Manfrotto etc too.

celticelement

Nov 12, 2003, 9:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just looked at some of the Gitzo stuff. The Mountaineer Mk2 has some astronomical pricing. In fact the rest of their stuff is well outside my price range.

I will have a look at the other company.

If I am not holding or touching either the camera or tripod when the shutter actuates, would I have less of an issue with stability? I usually take landscape photos. I will get the composition then set the timer and back off.

danl

Nov 13, 2003, 2:40 PM
Post #5 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cheap tripods are OK. I have a small 35mm manual camera and have done some fantastic long exposure shots with a cheap $40 slik while i was in the sierras. Granted I protected the tripod from wind with the vestibule of my tent and I always use a shutter release when my shots are tripod mounted. The advantage of the cheaper tripods is they are disposable.

This being said I'm saving some cake for a nice bogen. If you are going to spend anything more than $50 go ahead and spend another 50 or so and go whole hog. I shot with my friends gitzo and itw as great. Bear in mind it cost more than all my cameras and lenses.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook