Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coldclimb

Nov 10, 2003, 8:23 PM
Post #26 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Re: What's the Deal With Featured Photos??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've had three pics on the front page, and I'm pretty darn sure that I do not have a fan club of any sort here. It truly is the general public's opinion that decides which ones make the front page.

And yes, I have noticed that self-voting doesn't count too. ;)

rcaret

Nov 10, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #27 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dude, it's not expensive equipment that takes great photos, it's a photographer willing to put forth the work.

Lots of work. Hiking up an extra rope, and ascending gear, climbing a pitch, fixing your extra rope, rapping off, jugging back up with camera gear, film ect. Then getting your fixed rope down, and hiking 30 extra pounds of crap out.... It's a pain in the ass, but I think it's worth it to get a good photo documenting your local crag in the best possible light.

If you were willing to put forth the work to get into a good angle, and put the investment into film developing, you could get good photo's too! Most of my mediocre shooting is with a 70's manual pentax that is capable of taking pictures WAY better than I can.

Don't just dog the photo's on top. Contribute!

Travis

DITTO !!!!!!

thomasribiere

Nov 10, 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #28 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in the opposite, I have a huge fan club here, and my pics never get on the FP but one!

What? I have no fan club!? ARe you kidding!!!

To be serious, I'm sometimes sad when some of my pics get no vote at all. So I delete them after a while, since they don't seem to interest anyone. I always delete some pics which get low votes and were made in areas with already pics linked to.

popol

Nov 13, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #29 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'm new up here, so I can't vote (yet). But when I post some pictures, it's my purpose that as much people as possible let me know what they think about my pictures, and rate it honestly. That means high score if it's a nice picture, and - please - low score when it sucks. I can only hope that someone who knows me will also have the guts to give low rates, and that the ones who don't know me will not push my pictures downwards to benefit their own friends. That's what you call "trust the public opinion", and it's the only way to improve your next pictures...

Partner cliffhanger9

Nov 13, 2003, 3:50 PM
Post #30 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, you may think they're lame, but it seems that the majority isn't quite with you on that one. Popular vote = featured photo. As long as the majority is still a big fan of climbnow1 or orangeoverhang, that's what you're gonna see.

I am not sure how much room I have to talk yet, but having had a few FP photos lately, I can say: I try my best to add diversity. I photograph a lot of trad in addition to sport. I show people in helmets or not, people on 5.8 or 5.11, 20 year olds and 45 year olds, shirtless muscular guys and people in clothes (and not necessarily Prana). Joshua Tree or my podunk local crags. Many of my models are rc.com users, or just my buddies from school. See, I also wanted to see something other than 5.13+ sport climbing on another continent. Not out of spite, just because I wanted diversity too. Whether my efforts are well-received or not is out of my hands and I can speculate all I want as to why they might get bombed, but I try anyway.

If you don't like the photos of perfectly attired hottie sport climbers, then add your own of "average joes" and/or prop up photos that show "regular" climbers.

But don't give a lame back shot a 10 just for the sake of it. There is at least a glimmer of reason why Jorg has popular photos. Most of them ARE that good. So don't beat em, just join em if you can.

...But ah, nobody is ever really pleased around here. If we gave 10s out with less regard to technical/aesthetic merit, soon as you know it, there'd be threads whining about the crappy FP photos... :roll:

'nuff said.

ROCK ON!!! :mrgreen:

melekzek

Nov 13, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #31 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually go through the top pictures first, enjoying them, and than move to the new section and try to vote as much as I can. But simply there are too many photos, and some of the beautiful ones get missed in the crowd. Heck, I sometimes do not vote a picture, just not to lower its rating such that other people will have a chance to see it.
About the fan club thing, if I see some exceptional spark in a picture, it might be the content, it might be the framing, it might be the colors, or it might be just an unusual angle, I follow the photographers other pictures, and sometimes I found some gems, which everybody missed so far.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook