RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

melekzek

Oct 1, 2003, 9:47 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

hit me
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=12949

Partner philbox

Oct 1, 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Re: hit me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oooooh, dats rude isn`t it, I can see your undies. :lol: :lol:

I know I`m supposed to see the artistic side of this pic but what really is the point of focussing on the rock in the foreground and losing the definition of what the climber is doing back there.

I can see that it works on the one level but it leaves me flat on another. First we have the sharpness of the rock in the foreground telling us of the rocks ageless indifference and then the frivolity of the passing antics of the humanity i/e the climber.

Actually the more I study this pic the more it grows on me. This is actually a good thing in one way and a bad one in another way. Good when one takes the time to apreciate it and bad because most would simply diss it and move on due to the out of focus nature of the shot. Maybe this is what does make for a good photograph, it draws one in through being somewhat controversial and not following the established rules. Ones outrage is pacified by a dawning understanding of the point of the picture.

Note that this was written on the fly and shows my developing thoughts on this pic.

climbsomething

Oct 2, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also lost on the focus on the rock over the climber :? What is his left hand doing? Winding way up for a slap? The right side of his torso is looking rather "hot," as is the rock (chalked-up, I presume) in the top-center of the frame.

krillen

Oct 3, 2003, 7:07 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd back up and try and give his top hand and bottom foot more room. You've chopped the poor man's leg off! ;) He does look cramped though.

Partner coldclimb

Oct 4, 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Different angle. ;) Butt shots are no fun when they're taken this literally. :lol: :lol:

And I also think the rock in the foreground is too boring to be focused on like that. If it were some really cool rock in front there, it would justify focusing on that instead of the climber, but it's too grey and featureless to be interesting.

cryder

Nov 11, 2003, 11:11 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An attempt at icon status for the rock? Maybe.I have met many rocks that seem boring at first glance, only to climb them and find quite a personality underneath. It strikes me as a monster with the climber trying to get away... on the other hand I find the climbers underwear distracting to any other concept that may be present.

martenb

Nov 11, 2003, 11:48 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This photo could work really, really well if his leg was not cut off and the upper hand was in frame.

For me the DOF works, the in focus subject works but I'm not sure if the picture, to the general public, reads as a bouldering photo. The picture therfore only works in the context of the climbing community, except for the leg and hand 'problem'.

extra_finger_hold

Nov 12, 2003, 10:29 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting...good thought but unfortunately its not working in this situation...people look at the eyes first thing in people pics...specially loose full body shots and the rock it self is not interesting enough to draw attention...so...I'm still looking at the climber and him being out of focus is confusing...may have worked the other way around tho.... peace

melekzek

Nov 16, 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the comment guys, and sorry for the underwear stuff :roll:
I have worse shots than this, but I will be kind enough not to submit them, and leave it for your imagination, heh heh
I thought that since the climber is in the background, I would just go ahead and crop his leg, but I guess I is not working.

In reply to:
I'm not sure if the picture, to the general public, reads as a bouldering photo

Thats a good point, I never thought about that.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook