Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

soma

Nov 14, 2003, 4:11 PM
Post #1 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Gear and airplanes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Any suggestions or warnings about gear and air travel? It will be a long flight and I will be changing planes twice. I have the basics; rope, shoes, quickdraws, lockers, slings, nuts, cams... Most of it fits into my rope bag.

I am concerned because I have not had fantastic luck with airlines and bags (has anyone?).

Dave

mike_ok

Nov 14, 2003, 4:39 PM
Post #2 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear and airplanes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Couple things:

First, don't carry any of it on. Not sure about domestic flights, but international definately won't let you on the plane with QD's, etc. I tried to do it all with carry-on's coming back from Europe (just had a backpack anyway) but it was out of the question. I would think US security would be similar security wise.

Second, I'd buy your chalk wherever you're going. I didn't have a problem with it, because in digging through my crap (of which they spent a considerable amount of time) they never got to the chalk bag. However, I could see it being a pain. You wouldn't go to jail, but you'd probably be pulled out of the line, sent to some back room, grilled by questions while they had dogs sniff your crap. Just easier to buy the 2 dollar chalk at your destination.

gravitytheory

Nov 14, 2003, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't try to take your gear on the plane with you. I got busted for trying to take my rack through security. Apparently a cam is a lethal weapon. The irony of this classification is that a cam is a life-saving device. I mean, If the plane happened to crash into a mountain or something, I could sling some of the seats, throw in some cams, and hold up the whole plane. I tried to explain this fact to the security guard,, but he just stood there and drooled like Patrick from Spongebob and occasionally slapped at the flies around his head. Finally I talked to the guy in charge of the airport and he had me check all of the gear. Funny thing is, the plane did end up crashing into a mountain, and I was the only one who survived because I read all of the free-soloing threads on RC.com.

overlord

Nov 14, 2003, 4:45 PM
Post #4 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gat all your gear that fits into the ropebag into the bag, then put the bag and all that didnt fit in into a hard plastic container, ducttape the lid onto it, and make sure the label is visible and not easily removed.

also dont try to carry on anythign because they wont let you (draws for strangling, biners as brass knuckles...)

junnos

Nov 14, 2003, 4:49 PM
Post #5 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about my harness? I'm going to Amsterdam in two weeks, and want to climb at the gym there. I'll only have a backpack, so I won't be "checking" any bags. Should I just rent a harness instead?

sync

Nov 14, 2003, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harness shouldn't be a problem. I carried a harness, along with my ATC and a few biners, on a plane once. However, I did check the nut tool (someone may have thought it looks like a knife or something).

overlord

Nov 14, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #7 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMHO just a harness shouldnt be a problem. just tell them its a "love enjoying accessory".

fryinbacon

Nov 14, 2003, 5:40 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carried my entire rack (cams, quickdraws, atc, rope, shoes etc...) inside my 3500 ci backpack on a Lufthansa flight to Italy just a few months ago. No problems at all, even got a few free Toblerone bars.
-bacon

haldurin

Nov 16, 2003, 1:43 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't take a damaged bag or a bag that you think may break with you. Bags often break on the flight because the guys from the airline are throwing them all over the place. You should take a good bag if you want to make sure that you don't loose all you equipment.

vanny37

Nov 16, 2003, 3:25 PM
Post #10 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you do about ice axes and crampons and other gear of that sorts? Obviously you can't carry that stuff on, but is it ok under the plane?

johnnyslimane

Nov 16, 2003, 5:19 PM
Post #11 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never actually flown w/ any climbing equipment, but word on the street around here is that carrying a bag of white powder in your carry on is a sure way to get security's attention.

slavetogravity

Nov 17, 2003, 1:36 AM
Post #12 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Buy one of those tupperware boxes, about 20 liters big. It'll set you back about 5 loonies and will hold all your climbing gear with room to spare. When it comes time to check it at the airport, wrap the heck out of it with duct tape. And don't be cheap about the duct tape. I mean, really, rully, tape it.
Works for me.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! A few years ago this would be a good idea but since 9-11 airport security will now take one look at your duck tape job and the security guys will cutting it up to look inside faster then you can say "where'd my gear go". My advice, take what ever gear you can fit in your carry on and bring it with you.

reno

Nov 17, 2003, 1:54 AM
Post #13 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This past April, I brought my pack (Arcteryx Bora 30) with my entire rack along when I flew from Atlanta to Denver. Taped all the straps close, put the whole thing in a heavy-duty clear plastic bag (provided by the airline... AirTran) and sealed the plastic bag. Then I checked it as luggage. No problems at all.

As a little experiment, I carried the bag as carry-on for the return flight. The security guys opened the bag, inspected it, and allowed me to carry it on the plane.

I did not, by the way, bring a nut tool. The chalk bag was no problem.

If the bag is checked, you can bring alot of things on a plane... firearms, for example, are allowed as checked luggage, as long as there is no clip inserted, and no bullet in the chamber.

Pack it properly, check it as luggage, and you shouldn't have much trouble at all. If you do, ask to speak to an airline representative and the security supervisor. A little calm, reasoned discussion with these folks will typically get you past some bag checker who gets paid minimum wage.

sandbag

Nov 17, 2003, 2:03 AM
Post #14 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from Detroit via Denver and had a few biners and some webbing, they didnt even blink, One guy asked if i had any other climbing gear(seemed knowledgable and sane) i said no, end of story. Never mind those lethal plastic shivs i carry...aka ball point pens....

:shock: :P

ubotch

Nov 17, 2003, 2:11 AM
Post #15 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I flew several times this summer with my full trad rack as carry on and didn't have any problems. Once they opened it up and poked around a little bit but that was the worst of it. I probably got luck but I was very glad that I tried to do it. If I were you I would attempt to carry it all on, if they make you check it then of well but at least there is a chance that you can keep an eye on your gear.

harrisha

Nov 17, 2003, 2:12 AM
Post #16 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went out to Philmont with scouts last summer with scouts. I packed my 5000 cu. inch backpack and stuck it in a bodybag size black duffel bag from my local army-navy store which I picked up for like $19 heavy reinforced canvas and heavy duty zippers included. With my pack in it I still had 2 cu. feet left. That will do you for a climbing trip as well I just happened to be going on an 11 day backpacking trip in New Mexico. By to anyone if you ever get to that area of the country its great it'll be like 100 but feel 90 cause the is no humidity. The only things you need to carry on the plane with you are things that you can't go replace and have work just as good if not better than what you originally had. For example I carried my boots on the plane if I were you I'd do the same with my climbing shoes. Have fun.

devin

Nov 17, 2003, 2:20 AM
Post #17 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I were you I would definately not tape the bag or box shut!!! They take even your checked bags and open them up to poke through, taping things shut will just slow you down at the counter.

haldurin

Nov 17, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #18 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What do you do about ice axes and crampons and other gear of that sorts? Obviously you can't carry that stuff on, but is it ok under the plane?

I had a huge knife in my bag under the plane once. Should be no problem to take ice axes, crampons, ... with you.

njbourne

Nov 17, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #19 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Buy one of those tupperware boxes, about 20 liters big. It'll set you back about 5 loonies and will hold all your climbing gear with room to spare. When it comes time to check it at the airport, wrap the heck out of it with duct tape. And don't be cheap about the duct tape. I mean, really, rully, tape it.
Works for me.
DO NOT DO THIS!!! A few years ago this would be a good idea but since 9-11 airport security will now take one look at your duck tape job and the security guys will cutting it up to look inside faster then you can say "where'd my gear go". My advice, take what ever gear you can fit in your carry on and bring it with you.

What if you brought duck tape and closed it after inspection?

Do you forsee any problem with that.

slavetogravity

Nov 17, 2003, 10:49 PM
Post #20 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What if you brought duck tape and closed it after inspection?

Do you forsee any problem with that.
Yes, unfortunately there are problems with that. Air port security now does random inspections of baggage any ol' time they feal like it. Even after inspection. They now tell people to remove locks from their luggage because if they decide to do one of thos random inspections on a bag that just happens to be locked they won't hesitate on cutting that lock to have a look inside.

hawk233

Nov 17, 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #21 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd do what many people have said and not carry any of it on. You can't really climb in the airplane anyways so it won't do you much good to try.

Additionally, as a pilot I can honestly say I would never allow anybody to bring cams aboard my aircraft, they're just too dangerous. Don't even get me started about tri-cams. :roll:

Partner philbox

Nov 17, 2003, 11:59 PM
Post #22 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Gear Heads.

sammatt

Nov 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #23 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just flew domestic, from Aspen to Lexington, KY, and didn't have any trouble bringing the following items as carry-on: rope in a rope bag, shoes and chalk bag (wrapped in a grocery sack), harness, 15 quickraws, Gri-gri, BRD belay/rappel device. I checked my rack.

I'm not sure if it's any differerent on an international flight.

Ironically, they did search my bag, but not for the climbing gear: They saw what looked like a pistol in my little duffel bag. It was just a cell-phone charger. The security people didn't say word one about the climbing gear, or even ask what it was.

Happy and save travels.

Partner euroford

Nov 18, 2003, 5:40 AM
Post #24 of 41 (3771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just recently flew from chicago to denver to do some roped access work. i had in my kelty pac: two ropes, two ascenders, 2 gri gri's, atc, croll, prusics, two dozen lockers, tons of slings, 40 feet of webbing, a couple cordolettes, a couple dozen free biners, yates big wall harness, miller osha harness, rope grab and lanyard and just in case i got some free climb time; half dozen cams, a couple hexes, set of nuts, petzl corax and chalk bag. along with a roll of duct tape, a couple camera's, some bizness files, a laptop, some magazines and some food.

breezed through security at chicago midway (one of the worst!) and carried my stuff on. all i got was a "is this climbing stuff?" and all they got was a "yup".

dirko

Nov 18, 2003, 5:44 AM
Post #25 of 41 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check your airlines policy with regard to compensation if your gear is lost. When one of my partners flew to Mexico, his luggage, rack, clothes etc were lost but the airline had a $600 cap on payback for goods lost on international flights.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook