Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

nwrestler03

Nov 18, 2003, 2:38 AM
Post #1 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Via Ferrata
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone else heard of a Via Ferrata? I think it originated in the swiss alps...its like a system of ladders and 4th class climbing and bridges and stuff. (Correct me if i am wrong) Does anyone have any more info on this or its history? Isn't it bad for the rock due to the installation of ladders and such? I heard of one that is at Nelson Rocks in WV...are there others in the US? Lets open up the debate on whether this is an ethical thing to do or if it just doesn't belong in the climbing community.

greenpartyclimber

Nov 18, 2003, 2:42 AM
Post #2 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Re: Via Ferrata [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know a lot about it, only that they're big in europe, particularly france and that there's one in the red

Partner climboard

Nov 18, 2003, 2:51 AM
Post #3 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen the one at Nelson's. It looks very well done and everyone using it seems to be having a hoot.

I may bring some of my nonclimbing friends out there next spring so they can see what exposure is all about.

mitchal

Nov 18, 2003, 2:55 AM
Post #4 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I have done the Via Ferrata at nelsons a couple of times and it is WELL worth the effort. I have some pictures of it posted here, as well as having a bunch on my PC. PM me if you want me to send you some,or, look at the Nelson Route data to see some pictures I have there. It was an absolute blast to do.
Mitch

endrizzi

Nov 18, 2003, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done extensive via ferrata's in Italy. They were
started in WWI as a way to ferry troops between
mountain sites. Today they are utilized has treking
paths between mountain huts. You can spend the
whole summer treking in the alps and huts and
never come down if you want. Its just like what
you see in Cliffhanger, maybe better.

http://crag.netrotech.com/~mje/wlclassic2002/DCP_1957.JPG
http://crag.netrotech.com/~mje/chrono/Dolomite0013.html

vertical_reality

Nov 18, 2003, 4:30 PM
Post #6 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard of one that is at Nelson Rocks in WV...are there others in the US? Lets open up the debate on whether this is an ethical thing to do or if it just doesn't belong in the climbing community.

Not sure about any other via ferratas but Nelson Rocks is privately owned, it's Stu's rock and he can do with it as he pleases.

kathy

Nov 18, 2003, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Via Ferrrata is an Italian expression - literally translated it means iron 'ized' road .

don't think it has a place in climbing world - in my opinion if you want to climb up a via ferrata, you can do it up any pole / pylon etc. where there are exactly the same form of 'ladders' - and this without damaging the rock face!

K

jcreel

Nov 18, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed the Via Ferrata at Nelson a few weeks ago. I went with the outdoors club at my college and it was great for non-climbers. For me, the monotony of the ladder system became annoying, but the ease and joy of the heights that the course takes you to was well worth it. It was a blast and was fun to do once, but walking back down I found myself very jealous of everyone doing technical climbing below. Check out www.nelsonrocks.org to see pictures of the course.

joegoesup

Nov 18, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #9 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is also one atRed River Gorge at Torrent falls. It is behind Marks Bar-b-que. It looks pretty neat. You can sit and eat and watch the people giving it a try.

thomasribiere

Nov 18, 2003, 6:40 PM
Post #10 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

via ferrata means "railroad" more than "iron road". At the origin it was not made to climb a face in a leisure perspective but simply to go from a place to another one in very steep moutaineous areas : so inhabitants of the vallet, rather than climbing with ropes evryday or making many miles to go down a valley and go up another one just built stairs on the mountain to shorten the way...Now they are built just for fun and to develop tourism in mountaineous areas as it's supposed to be less dangerous than climbing...
I made one last month with our climbing association : it was fun but it's ot climbin at all. SOme of us just decided not to put the feet on the ladders but hey, it's via ferrata, not climbing, so let's use the stairs and hurry up!

oops I was wrong! the word via ferrata seems to only be dedicated to the mountain vocabulary and doesn't mean railroad as I stated but ironroad

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Nov 18, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #11 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nelson Rocks was bought and saved from being torn down for a strip mine. So I think I preffer to side with the land owner who saved some great sport and trad climbing from going bye-bye. It's his crag so he can do what he wants, and what he's done is pretty awesome. I have no ethical issues with the Via Ferrata. It is a sheit load of fun to do on a day off from climbing. It's like Fear Factor without having to eat the bugs. It has a high pucker factor especially crossing the cable bridge and topping out on the 4ft wide summit. Do not bring some newbie non-climber and expect them to handle the cable bridge and exposure without soiling themselves and outright refusing to go on.

marcel

Nov 19, 2003, 9:34 PM
Post #12 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I too have done extensive via ferrats in Italy. They are a real blast, and more of a chalange than some climbers think. I too have a few photos on line, you can see them at this link: http://www.kavesports.com/ferratas03.html

marcel

Nov 19, 2003, 9:41 PM
Post #13 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't it bad for the rock due to the installation of ladders and such?

I would never promote ferratas on public land in the US. Europe is a different story. They are a very important part of their economy in many parts of the Alps. In the summer many ferratas bring hundreds of people into small towns that depend on their business.

iltripp

Nov 19, 2003, 10:40 PM
Post #14 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds kind of interesting. How does this work? I looked at some of the pictures where people seemed to be clipped into things and others where they aren't. Is it a harness/carabiner thing where you'd need a little technical knowledge, or can anyone do it? Do they make you pay or go with a guide or do you just head up there yourself?

endrizzi

Nov 19, 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #15 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="marcel"]
In reply to:

yeah baby!!!! i've done those but your pictures totally rock.

dreez

jimmyjamal

Nov 19, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #16 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a Via Ferrata screw gate carabiner, there made buy lucky, they are pretty good biners.

kathy

Nov 20, 2003, 1:41 PM
Post #17 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
via ferrata means "railroad" more than "iron road".

am pretty sure that railroad would be ferrovia....

mrme

Nov 20, 2003, 1:51 PM
Post #18 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've seen the one at Nelson's. It looks very well done and everyone using it seems to be having a hoot.

I may bring some of my nonclimbing friends out there next spring so they can see what exposure is all about.

:evil: yea especially the ones that throw stones down at climbers to try to get there atintion... :cry: you ask me they ruined nelson with it....though the bridge is cool :oops: ....

gat

Nov 20, 2003, 1:55 PM
Post #19 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
don't think it has a place in climbing world - in my opinion if you want to climb up a via ferrata, you can do it up any pole / pylon etc. where there are exactly the same form of 'ladders' - and this without damaging the rock face!

Hmmm, so I guess you feel the same way about sport climbing?

mrme

Nov 20, 2003, 2:39 PM
Post #20 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hmmm, so I guess you feel the same way about sport climbing?

have you ever seen a via ferrata chance are yes compared with bolts vias' are easy to see and damage the rock way worse than bolts. it's funny that sommething like a via always gets good publicity and bolts get bad publicity they both in esence do the same things. hurt the rock and bring it down to ones level of safty.

the only true climbing can only take place in ones minde.

pixelguru

Nov 20, 2003, 4:12 PM
Post #21 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are also some great "trails" in Acadia National Park in Maine that include iron rungs and ladders for sections. When not climbing metal, the trail was either stone steps, a scramble over large blocks, or gently sloping slabs - the latter being quite tricky since it just rained and there were wet spots.

The steel sections certainly didn't detract from the experience... they actually enhanced it - allowing us to "hike" sections that would have required carying a lot of gear to climb. We could travel light and fast, climbing up Dorr Mountain, down through the Gorge, then up Cadillac Mountain.

Going down sucks though!

There's some photos on my site.
http://homepage.mac.com/pixelguru/PhotoAlbum4.html

robmcc

Nov 20, 2003, 4:21 PM
Post #22 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They are fugly. Period. A perversion of what climbing should be.

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Nov 20, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #23 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It sounds kind of interesting. How does this work? I looked at some of the pictures where people seemed to be clipped into things and others where they aren't. Is it a harness/carabiner thing where you'd need a little technical knowledge, or can anyone do it? Do they make you pay or go with a guide or do you just head up there yourself?

To do a Via Ferrata you need a special shock absorbing double lanyard with two locking biners that you use to pass the anchor points on the cable. Without the shock absorbing screamer part, if you fell the forces would rip your harness apart=death. If you fall on it, retire it. Cost: about $50. Check this link:

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/SportProduits?MotRecherche=Quick+Search&pays=0&Langue=en&Activite=28&Famille=20&Produit=&Conseil=&ProduitAssocie=

Does not require technical knowledge, just a harness and the lanyard. Just don't unclip both biners at the same time or you're off belay. Any one can do it. No guide required, only orientation for your first time. Cost at Nelson about $25, includes the lanyard rental.

For all you purists, this is not climbing, more like an amusement park ride. It's the most fun I've had for $25 in a long time. (except for Amsterdam. HeHe.)

mrme

Nov 22, 2003, 3:45 PM
Post #24 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea i will stay away from where stuped people can through stuff on me. thats why i think it is ruined the via itself is nice. you forgot to post that part about the rock throughing. as for stu he is one of the nicer people i have met in my life. as he is very trusting of other people. to do a great thing as put up a via for those not ready to climb or unable is wonderfull and he should be comended for that. and since he owns nelson he can do what he wants with it. i will just be more carfull about letting stupid people on the via from being over top of me.

overlord

Nov 22, 2003, 4:00 PM
Post #25 of 42 (3795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Isn't it bad for the rock due to the installation of ladders and such?

I would never promote ferratas on public land in the US. Europe is a different story. They are a very important part of their economy in many parts of the Alps. In the summer many ferratas bring hundreds of people into small towns that depend on their business.

not necessary true. most new ferattas are made with new turist in mind, but then most feratas arent new. they were made to help people safely travel on dangerous paths and were someplaces quite important for travellers. some are used as shortcuts between valleys, others help you through an otherwise difficlut mountain pass...

but new ferattas should be discouraged since the climbing equipment is now so adwanced that nobody that wants to climb those paths shoulndt have a problem with hes own (removable) pro.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook