Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Travis-TOP SECRET southern boulderfield.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

tenn_dawg

Nov 3, 2003, 8:50 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Travis-TOP SECRET southern boulderfield.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Naw, just kidding, it's at Lilly Boulders near the Obed River in Eastern Tennessee. Right down the street from the water-tower, and you have to take the old dirt road right were Doc Johnson's barn used to be. Be sure to close the gate behind you so the Goats can't get into the Garden.

Shot with a manual pentax spotmatic with a 50mm prime around F8. ASA200 Kodak Royal Gold (Oh kodak, WHY did you discontiune such a FINE print film???)

This picture is cropped down from a larger one to remove rock above the climber and woods to the right. What do you think of the climbers placement in the frame, and any other comments are absolutely appreciated!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=19762

Travdawg

Partner coldclimb

Nov 4, 2003, 3:56 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Re: Travis-TOP SECRET southern boulderfield. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something makes me want to say remove a tiny bit on the left as well. Other than that, it's a great looking pic. :)

Partner philbox

Nov 4, 2003, 5:26 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`ve got to agree that it is a great pic. As this is a critique forum I would like to ask a couple of questions though. Is the focus or the sharpest part of the picture up on the rock above the climbers head. It seems to me that the climber is not quite in the depth of field.

Also what do you think of darkening the bright spot to the right of his knee. I like where he is in the picture. Just a thought though, what about if the climber was reaching for the next hold, would that make for a much more dynamic pic.

Sorry if this seems like criticism, this is not my intention. What it is though is me trying to view pictures with a much more critical eye. I guess this is what this forum is all about isn`t it, wouldn`t you say. I have learned much since the creation of this forum, thanks to all who have contributed by the way.

climbsomething

Nov 4, 2003, 9:28 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Framed well, and good DOF. You're on a roll, Travis!

krillen

Nov 4, 2003, 3:47 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Trav.

1.) the subject is dead-center in the shot, however that can work for this shot (obviously a few people here seem to think it certainly does ;) ). If I was going to keep it like this, I think I'd zoom in a tad to get a tighter look at the climber. (Take out he ground perhaps?)

2.) Phil's right about the DOF, the climber is Juuuust on the cusp of it which is slightly distracting.

3.) Also I think I would use your new found PS'ing skills to mask and soft blur the background to the right. Right now it looks like there's a motion blur, not just a DOF blur. Try using the Gaussian Blur filter after you've masked out that area.

4.) I like the way he's looking out of the frame (or at least towards the frame). It draws your eyes out of the shot after you are done looking at him.

Cheers

arrigetch

Nov 7, 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #6 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Super shot. I wish the climber was tack-sharp, tho.

tenn_dawg

Nov 9, 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Y'all are right, he is out of focus...

Hahaha, they can teach me to solve integrated equations, but not how to turn a focus ring while screaming, "Yeah dude...PULL!"

I'm thinking a little bit shallower depth of field may have helped a bit too, although, if the rock ahead of him was out of focus, it may have been distracting.

I'll try that blur thing you were talking about krillen, I've never come across it...

Thanks all,
Travis

dsafanda

Nov 10, 2003, 6:22 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Super shot. I wish the climber was tack-sharp, tho.

I agree.
It's a great shot but I do wish the climber was a hair sharper. I love the effect in the background which was most likely the result of a slow shutter speed and very shallow depth of field but it seems that these factors also made it very difficult to get the focus in just the right spot. Hell, if this were easy it wouldn't be fun.

I also agree with the others that this a good example of the fact that you can sometimes put your subject matter right smack in the middle of the frame and have a successful and engaging composition.

padwarmer

Nov 10, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good job! This is a great pic. I agree about the climber needing to be a little sharper. At least his head and shoulders. I think I would also try cropping off the bottom to get rid of the boulder pad. It does not bring anything to this picture and it is a little distracting.

martenb

Nov 11, 2003, 12:44 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its a really nice shot. I'd say the focus plane is slightly off and should be over the face/hands of the boulderer. This can be hard to see in the view finder so shoot heaps and pick the one that works.

melekzek

Nov 19, 2003, 8:50 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is a beautiful shot, very nice pose and framing. I especially like the reddish color underneat the rock and green color on the upper part, it is a pleasure to look at the image.
I will agree w/ krillen, the DOF on the right side is somewhat disturbing, it really looks like motion blur (??) and keeps pulling my eye over there.
What do everybody think about the crashpad there? I feel somewhat disturbed to see the company logo there. Without the logo, it might melt into the scene thanks to its color. But on the other hand, it might complement his tshirt, I could not decide.

straightedgeteen

Nov 27, 2003, 5:35 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is a nice pic but i seems to me the shot would have been a little better if it was takin when ur were back one movie with one hand to your left witch is where i think ur were before moving to your current hand position and that the focus just a little bit but overall a great shot !

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook