RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

iltripp

Dec 1, 2003, 1:38 AM
Post #1 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

slacklines and water
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So... where I live it rains constantly. Luckily I have my slackline set up on a covered balcony in my dorm room. It's not an ideal set-up, but it works ok.

However, in the worst storms my line still gets totally soaked. I've got a couple questions about webbing stretching and water.

First, how does the wetness effect the stretching? I think it makes it more elastic. I tried my line last night and it was way too loose, but this could be that my knot and tightening system and loosened up a bit.

If I slackline while it is soaked, will it make any difference in the the elasticity after it dries. i.e. Will stretching the line out more while it's wet make it stay stretched out after it dries or will it return to it's original shape and elasticity. I guess I'm thinking about the way that something like leather will shrink or stretch when wet, so I thought maybe the line would as well. Also, since the line was a little too loose while it was wet, I wanted to tighten it. Will tightening it while wet make any difference? Will it become even tighter when it dries or will it stay elongated and lose elasicity for future use? What about strength properties while walking on it while wet? Wet cotton is actually stronger than dry (try it with a t-shirt), but I thought nylon weakened when wet. Is it safe to use a wet line.

I've never used my climbing gear when it was soaked except in an emergency retreat situation where a storm was chasing me off the rock. At the time I was more concerned with rapping safely, handling my wet rope with frozen fingers, and making it down in one piece than with the elastic properties of my gear.

Thanks

studmuffin

Dec 1, 2003, 2:11 AM
Post #2 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Re: slacklines and water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a general rule slacklines have about 20% elasticity. When you get em wet (while tightened) and then let them dry, the line will loosen up, really that's the line STRETCHING OUT and LOSING elasticity. Slacklines do not lose strength after they've been wet and stretched. I talked to one of Yate's guys about this, he said that some people do that to their lines so they don't stretch so much. I've done that to mine because i prefer to walk longer lines and you can't have them stretching all that much. Anyways, hope this helps man. Have fun slacklineing.
Justin

iltripp

Dec 1, 2003, 2:25 AM
Post #3 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slacklines do not lose strength after they've been wet and stretched.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it wouldn't lose strength long term (as in after it dried), but I was concerned about walking on it while it was wet. I'd like to be able to use it even when it's wet, but I didn't want it to break on me.

Does losing the elasticity when it's wet make it harder to tighten back up?

cantclimbforsht

Dec 1, 2003, 2:29 AM
Post #4 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do most people leave their slacklines up all the time, or just put them up when youre using them?

studmuffin

Dec 1, 2003, 2:34 AM
Post #5 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does losing the elasticity when it's wet make it harder to tighten back up?

It actually makes it easier. Because next time you tighten it, it won't loosen up nearly as much.
Justin

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 1, 2003, 7:10 AM
Post #6 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
do most people leave their slacklines up all the time, or just put them up when youre using them?

About everyone I've ever talked to has always recommended not leaving them up all of the time. By leaving it up all of the time you loose the "bounce" that nylon webbing is famous for. I can't help but think leaving webbing tight would change it's feel a lot and reduce it's longevity.

Everything I've ever read from the manufacturers about webbing has always said to avoid getting it wet, leaving it in the sun or leaving it in high tension for extended periods so I've always went by that.

If that really isn't required it's new by me. I always have taken extra caution to never buy or sell any webbing that had ever gotten wet.

I always figured it'd horribly hard to get a big roll completely dry - you'd have to string it out and re-wind the entire thing to let it dry evenly and that'd suck for 1000 feet - so I just never get it wet. As for a single line, I just usually pack stuff up when it starts sprinkling - it's not like it takes that long to setup and take down so I figure it's time well invested in making my line last as long as possible and keep it in optimal condition.

joebuzz

Dec 1, 2003, 11:52 AM
Post #7 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For what it's worth, When I started slacklining a few hundred years ago( and I'm still not very good at it), I lived in Lake Tahoe. I set up my first line between two trees and left it there for almost six years. It survived wet, cold, snow & ice, heat, racoons, etc, etc and always worked fine. Mind you, I never thought to take it down to use as a climbing anchor or anything, but as a tool to learn on, it was fine.
I still never have or will do any highlining or any other facet of the sport in which a broken or limp line would cause me to die, but just as a tool it was never a problem. Even after it got soaked or was burried in snow for months at a time, it dried out and was just fine.
By the time I moved and cut it down, it had ZERO stretch left, was super faded and dried out, but it was still bomber to walk on( a few feet off the ground).
Hope this helps... Joe

allilovesrocks

Dec 10, 2003, 10:36 PM
Post #8 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard multiple times that the sun isnt good for the line, but if i must stay out for a day in the sun can i just cover it
???? will that make any difference?

ryanhos

Dec 11, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #9 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything joebuzz said, except for my line was out in the elements only for the 9 months between winters. It did seem to lose some elasticity. Webbing is cheap. I see no harm in leaving it up. If you're paranoid about the tree loops breaking and a mess of rigging coming at your face, tether the biners w/ some accy cord.

When Moshe finally took the line down for the winter (which hasn't arrived in chicago yet...) it was stiff as a board. Whole 3ft sections could be held parallel to the ground from one end of the section.

lajhanata

Oct 27, 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #10 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about geting the line wet to tighten it? That seems to work really well for me. I can stretch my line as tight as it will go, then get it good and wet and tighten it down an extra foot or two. When it dries it seems to be even tighter. Am I just imagining that?

Partner coldclimb

Oct 28, 2005, 12:24 AM
Post #11 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How about geting the line wet to tighten it? That seems to work really well for me. I can stretch my line as tight as it will go, then get it good and wet and tighten it down an extra foot or two. When it dries it seems to be even tighter. Am I just imagining that?

Nope, that works rather well. :)

Partner slacklinejoe

Oct 28, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #12 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Nylon elongates easier under tension when wet, it attempts to shrink back into original length as it dries. Either way, leaving a line wet under tension does reduce it's strength.

pikskrit

Dec 29, 2005, 3:51 AM
Post #13 of 13 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leaving a slackline in the sun for a long time can certainly reduce its strength as UV rays weaken the nylon. But as long as you cover the line with something that will shield it from direct sunlight it should be fun. If you are leaving it out for a day or two I would not worry about it, though.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook