Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
climbing Near Quito y Rocodromo
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sarell

Oct 16, 2003, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3438 views)
Shortcut

climbing Near Quito y Rocodromo  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Moab: Indian_Creek: Supercrack_Buttress)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be moving to Quito in Jan. 2004. I have been climbing a lot here in California and am wondering about rock climbing near Quito - from the last posts it sounds like it isn't very good. Anyway, any info on climbing groups or places would be appreciated.

Also, about Rocodromo- do you have to be a member or pay a fee to use it? Do you have to bring your own belay partner or is it pretty easy to meet people there to belay you? Lastly, do you need to bring your own gear as in ropes or sport climbing equip.?

Gracias y hasta luego,
Sarah

allarounder

Oct 16, 2003, 7:31 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing Near Quito y Rocodromo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Howdy Sarah. i visited Quito and Ecuador this May and June, and did some mountaineering down there. I can't say whether there is much established rock climbing in the Quito area or elsewhere close by. There are mountain guide shops in the city that you would be able to ask, though. There is potential on cliffs on some of the volcanoes and peaks we passes on the way to Machachi and Riobamba south of town, though. Be a worthy adventure, I'm sure. Obviously the technical mountaineering and ice climbing is great.

Feel free to drop me an email if you'd like some beta on Quito and Ecuador. The place rocks.

Dave

bergo

Oct 20, 2003, 5:39 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock climbing in Ecuador is OK but ice climbing and mountaineering is better. El Rocódromo is $2 for you since you're foreigner, it's $1 for local climbers and $0,20 for climbing clubs members. Two sections, lots of nice routes 5.3 - 5.14a. See:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=2165
It's easy to find a belay partner and yes, you have to take your own gear. One of my favourite places.
There are a few good routes at El Guagua Pichincha, 3-4 hours from Quito. If you need training and acclimation for higher mountains Guagua Pichincha is a good place but some times there are too much people there. El Inga http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=6049 is a beautiful place with some history. It's only 40 minutes from Quito and it's an easy and gorgeous hike to the highlands where I'm looking for a good route to climb since there are 10 or more volcanic basalt walls of 50-60 meters. Good for rapeling.
Also, my friends told me about a new route near San Rafael, 40 minutes from Quito. I'll tell you about it when I go.
Drop me an e-mail! I'll be happy to help.

maximumdennis

Nov 26, 2003, 10:09 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was Ecuador in 2001 and climbed Chimborazo near Riobamba (actually, we didn't summit). Afterward, local guides brought us to an area called Chorrera that had tremendous trad and sport climbing potential. My understanding is that more routes have been bolted since I was there. You can get moe info on the area from a Canadian expat names Tom Walsh at twalsh@ch.pro.ec. Ecuador is a beautiful country, have fun!

Dennis

bergo

Dec 6, 2003, 8:53 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My recommendation is to get hold of a copy of "Trekking in Ecuador" by Robert & Daisy Kunstaetter, published by Mountaineers Books:
www.mountaineersbooks.org
It is a recent publication.
If ever in Chimborazo as there is some great rock climbing and trekking here:
Centro de Información Ecoturística WAMANWAY.
www.redindigena.net/wamanway
e-mail:wamanway@yahoo.com
Cel. 09 70 86 371
It's is a group of 4 native communities, San Pablo, Pulinguí, Mirador Alto and La Chorrera. They bring hostel, guidance and gear rent services. It's a beautiful area. There are 12 recent bolted routes of 50 meters at La Chorrera with different levels of difficulty from 5.6 to 5.9. (Not so sure about the grades but they told me that...)
If you need gear, they rent all except for the shoes and there are bilingual guides, hmmmmmmm... well, trilingual actually. Very nice people.
You can go to La Chorrera:
By bus:
From Monday to Sunday from Terminal Terrestre of Riobamba City. Since 6:54 A.M. to 15.00 P.M.
Bus Transportation Companies: 10 de Noviembre,Patria, Atenas , Flota Bolivar.
Destiny: Guaranda-Babahoyo through Arenal . Do not pay more than $0.60!!!
Just on Saturday from Colombia Street and Carabobo Street:
Transporte Colectivo "Condor Machay" 16h00 direct to "Casa Cóndor"
By car:
Km 37 of "vía al Chimborazo" highway. You can ask anybody at Riobamba.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook