RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

1269topper

Dec 15, 2003, 5:30 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Alpine Climbing Was a totally humbled Me
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

To all you alpinist my hats off to you all. I did my first multipitch full on alpine stlye climb this weekend. I was at seneca after a foot of snow fell on it and it was in the twenties.

We hit a route I free climbed (even free solo it once) as our (skyline traverse) warm up route to get the feel of how everything worked. Of course I don't crampons or axes I never figured I need them. I had a borrowed set of alpine boots that was it besided every stich of winter clothing I own. I volinteered to lead the first picth well when we got there we had to rope up for the approch and aid thourgh a totally ice covered section. to get the climb :shock: . Iwas still not fully accepting the was even going to be hard. 8) Thats when it turned full on adventure baby.

I found out chimenys rock underclings are wonderfull and the make you gag foot jams feel like butter.

Six hours later and finishing up the route in complete darkness with head lamps we finished what was the end of the route. We still had to get off the mountain which was no small feat. We had a brain fart and decied to go off the trail and trough the woods to get the big mountain feel. This was fun I got to try the axes ( which we should have had on soem of the pitches).

This is to all you alpinist you are trully the badist in this sport. I was totally humblied this weekend by this adventure.

dingus

Dec 15, 2003, 5:42 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alpine Climbing Was a totally humbled Me [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This is to all you alpinist you are trully the badist in this sport. I was totally humblied this weekend by this adventure.

Yes, we have known this all along of course.

Oh, it only gets worse from here.

I hurt. Therefore, I hurt.

There really isn't any more to it than that.

DMT

cryder

Dec 15, 2003, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In fact, the more misery you self inflict, the purer your style. Next time add a few miles to the approach, throw in a raging storm for merrit, and uh, add rockfall and spindrift, then you will have your very own epic.

Just wait till this needle calls you back. Then you will belong. :twisted:

- n -

1269topper

Dec 15, 2003, 6:31 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In fact, the more misery you self inflict, the purer your style. I dug that comment.

I did not realize the pain envolved

capn_morgan

Dec 15, 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fred you lucky barstid...I got read about your little adventure while sitting at my desk :evil: , nearly got up and left to go sit in a snow bank playing with pieces of metal 8) . Sounds like you had a good time. You drive up north sometime and well get you on some ice. For some reason Its hard to find partners for this kind of madness....

aikimac

Dec 16, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seneca in the winter, COOL! Me and my partner have been talking about a trip there next month. We can't seem to finagle enough time to travel to New Hampshire for ice & we love Seneca in the warm months so what the h*ll!
Tell me more about the climbing! What routes did you do? Would you recommend others? Are crampons & axes needed? Heck, is the camp ground even open? I can't imagine climbing a seneca 5.9 in plastic boots!
PAIN IS GOOD!

akicebum

Dec 17, 2003, 5:40 AM
Post #7 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to these guys. There are plenty of climbs that don't require a slog in and they can be climbed in a day (not 24 hours), with plenty of time for a post climb beer. Some of these same climbs are easy to get off of when the snow begins to fall. Not all alpinism is miserable.
The problem is that those type of ascents end up feeling unearned. Whereas, those miserable freezing spindrift batttered belays, climbing ice too thin to protect towards rock that won't take any pro, to end up belaying off a shovel blade on a sixty degree suger snow slope only to summit or finish a route with no view because the snow is too thick, and a descent down the "easy route" (which neither you or your partner have climbed) results in a maze of snow covered rock slabs, snow slabs, and a ten mile walk out over a massive terminal moraine to find that you locked your keys in the car feels much more earned, and always leaves you with a smile on your face, even if it doesn't show up for a few days.

robmcc

Dec 17, 2003, 5:52 AM
Post #8 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't listen to these guys. There are plenty of climbs that don't require a slog in and they can be climbed in a day (not 24 hours), with plenty of time for a post climb beer. Some of these same climbs are easy to get off of when the snow begins to fall. Not all alpinism is miserable.
The problem is that those type of ascents end up feeling unearned. Whereas, those miserable freezing spindrift batttered belays, climbing ice too thin to protect towards rock that won't take any pro, to end up belaying off a shovel blade on a sixty degree suger snow slope only to summit or finish a route with no view because the snow is too thick, and a descent down the "easy route" (which neither you or your partner have climbed) results in a maze of snow covered rock slabs, snow slabs, and a ten mile walk out over a massive terminal moraine to find that you locked your keys in the car feels much more earned, and always leaves you with a smile on your face, even if it doesn't show up for a few days.

Somebody shoot me now. That sounds like fun!

jookyhead

Dec 17, 2003, 6:17 AM
Post #9 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not all alpinism is miserable.

I dunno why, but when I think of Alpine climbing, miserable is about the first thing that comes to mind. There's something about working through it that makes it oh so much more rewarding.

1269topper

Dec 17, 2003, 6:27 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now thats its two days later and I have stopped laughing out loud alone and in public just thinking of the madness of that day. It was a rally great time and really cool.

To the fellow who asked if the campground open, princess snow bird is all year long. Also you asked about crampons and ice axes, I would bring them your probably much more experienced and you probably would know. I did not have a set of crampons and really whished I did.

I am still very humbled from this awsome experience.

ropeburn

Dec 17, 2003, 8:44 AM
Post #11 of 11 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright fred, you pulled my arm, when are we gonna do this? It sounds like fun.

:mrgreen:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook