RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gipsy

Dec 16, 2003, 1:53 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

doing multipitch during "that time"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Question for you Ladies... does anyone have any suggestions for climbing multipitch (especially at elevation - seems to always make things worse for me if ya know what I mean...) while you are on your period? This has happened twice now, and it's both embarrasing and annoying to have to bail on a trip. Are there ANY options/suggestions out there??? Thanks!

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 16, 2003, 6:18 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: doing multipitch during "that time" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fortunately for me, my flow is generally pretty light. when climbing, i just bring some ob's without applicators, two ziplock baggies (one for 'soiled materials' and one to just keep everything organized), and some individually-wrapped handiwipes. i keep everything in one ziplock and trash in the second, which is also tucked away in the main ziplock baggie. when i get back to civilization, i just throw away the trash baggie.

i've never had to change a tampon en route, but i suspect that if you were in a position where you really had to, you could just ask your partner to look the other way. (guys dont want to watch you change your tampon anymore than you want an audience. hell, they'd prefer to be misled into thinking that you're peeing or whatever.) just ask for some private time and take care of business.

hope this helps,
amber

bluetrout

Dec 17, 2003, 4:04 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this, it has worked for me: use 2 super absorbant tampson inserted however you can, should keep you worry free all day.

gretchino

Dec 17, 2003, 4:20 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Insteads...you can wear them for up to 12 hours (depending on flow). The double tampon thing sounds kind of dangerous and a possiblity of TSS.

iamthewallress

Dec 17, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have a really heavy period that gets in the way of you living your life, you might want to consider taking birthcontrol pills on a schedule where your period starts on Tuesdays (for example, assuming you're mostly doing long climbs on the weekends). They make a lot of people have lighter periods too. Of course being on the pill has its downsides that are worth considering too.

Otherwise, I've never done a one day route that a "super-plus" couldn't handle. If I was really worried a pantiliner might be a good back-up pro.

You have to be really non-squeamish to deal with the Insteads in my limited (very grossed out) experience.

gretchino

Dec 17, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You have to be really non-squeamish to deal with the Insteads in my limited (very grossed out) experience.

Yup, I'm a pretty disgusting gal...they don't bother me in the least. :lol:

Partner calamity_chk

Dec 17, 2003, 8:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... a pantiliner might be a good back-up pro..

i love it, discussing 'feminine hygeine products' using climbing terms, tee hee.

gblauer

Dec 17, 2003, 9:19 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Try this, it has worked for me: use 2 super absorbant tampson inserted however you can, should keep you worry free all day.

I used to do this all the time... no TSS. Worked gr8.

gipsy

Dec 18, 2003, 7:13 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the beta, Ladies. Unfortunately, I'm one of those unlucky ones who flies thru at least 2 boxes of super plus 2x/month. As a result, I've recently started the pill, but was too over it all to think about the timing of the start date. I've used the "double ziplock baggie/wet ones" technique on backcountry trips of all types (except climbing) for years, but have not found the Insteads... certainly worth investigating. As for the disgusting aspect... not a prob; I'm about as far from squeemish as you can possibly get compliments of brothers and profession.

Again, grazi on the beta - most appreciated!! And I must admit, I got a much needed chuckle when I got to amber_chk's response to iamthewallress ... I have no choice but to agree (and laugh as I do so!)

G

crimperqueen

Jan 10, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been using the 'Keeper' for a long time now. You don't need to dispose of anything, and you can leave it in for up to 12-15 hours. No problem. I have never leaked or had any problems. It is the best thing EVER. I will never go back. It is made of natural gum rubber and so is gentle on your body etc.

You will NEVER go back once you try it. Wilderness backpacking, climbing multipitch, ice climbing, mountaineering...it is great!!

do it! do it! do it!!!!

http://www.thekeeperinc.com/

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook