Forums: Community: Campground:
President Bush Re-election looking better every day!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

danooguy

Dec 19, 2003, 3:31 AM
Post #1 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

President Bush Re-election looking better every day!
Report this Post
Can't Post

NEW YORK — Stocks rose Thursday, with the Dow and the S&P hitting their highest levels in about 19 months, after a better-than-expected report on jobless claims confirmed investors' belief that the labor market is improving.

The blue-chip Dow Jones industrial average (search) extended earlier gains and climbed 102.82 points, or 1.01 percent, to 10,248.08, its highest finish since May 17, 2002. The broad Standard & Poor's 500 Index (search) rose 12.70 points, or 1.18 percent, to 1,089.18, its highest close since May 23, 2002. The technology-laced Nasdaq Composite Index (search) gained 34.85 points, or 1.81 percent, to 1,956.18.

"The numbers show that the jobs situation might be better than people expected all along ... and the economy is actually going well," said Tim Smalls, trader at SG Cowen Securities.

But he added, "What you're seeing is a lot of money managers shutting down for the year. I think you'll see some money put to work. But you won't see a big rush to invest."

First-time claims for state unemployment aid, a rough guide to the pace of layoffs, plunged more than expected to 353,000 last week, falling to the 2-3/4 year low they hit in early November, the Labor Department said.

Another report from the Conference Board (search) suggested the economy would gather strength in the new year. The board said its index of leading indicators, which foreshadows economic activity in the next three to six months, rose 0.3 percent in November to 114.2, after an upwardly revised 0.5 percent increase in October.

Later in the day, the Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank (search) said its monthly gauge of manufacturing in the mid-Atlantic region jumped to a decade-high 32.1 in December from 25.9 in November, defying forecasts for a decline.

"The market was up this morning after the jobless claims came out, which made everyone happy. The Philly Fed was also a pretty strong number. Nobody can really dispute that things are going pretty well," said Adam Tracy, director of listed trading at Thomas Weisel Partners in San Francisco.

rockbabe

Dec 19, 2003, 4:07 AM
Post #2 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Re: President Bush Re-election looking better every day! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The only thing that will keep him from being re-elected is another terrorist attack. That is why the Democrats are all bummed about Saddam being caught. They were probably working with Saddam's Baath Party to precipitate another attack.(At least that is what my boyfriend told me to write) :)

Partner tgreene

Dec 19, 2003, 4:25 AM
Post #3 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Democratic party is too fragmented right now, to the point that they currently even have adds running against one another...

They are tripping over each other to get airtime, yet each time they speak, they come off sounding worse and ultimately end up issuing retractions.

FWIW: I would have much rather seen a flipped Cheney/Bush ticket, than what we have.

curt

Dec 19, 2003, 4:34 AM
Post #4 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my fantasy world, GWB would be challenged for the Republican nomination in 2004 and lose--to John McCain. McCain is a moderate Republican with ten times the intellect and ten times the cajones of GWB. Alas, as I stated--this is only my fantasy world.

Curt

emelia

Dec 19, 2003, 4:36 AM
Post #5 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course the Democratic Party is fragmented. They are going through the process of choosing a new leader. This process itself is fragmenting. It wouldn't be very interesting now would it if all the candidates were on the same page! The question is will they pick the right leader and can that person focus the party.

The Republican Party seems to be the fragmented one. The issues have seemed to polarize the party immensely....I am hearing more and more dissent and confusion amongst those who were so firmly united when Clinton when was in power.

Partner tgreene

Dec 19, 2003, 4:44 AM
Post #6 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my fantasy world, GWB would be challenged for the Republican nomination in 2004 and lose--to John McCain. McCain is a moderate Republican with ten times the intellect and ten times the cajones of GWB. Alas, as I stated--this is only my fantasy world.

Curt

Hell, I would rather have Lieberman than McCain, because McCain seems to have a very strong hidden agenda, and has shown himself to be a rogue.

curt

Dec 19, 2003, 5:21 AM
Post #7 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

Hell, I would rather have Lieberman than McCain, because McCain seems to have a very strong hidden agenda, and has shown himself to be a rogue.

Being a rogue isn't necessarily bad, if you are honest about your stances on issues. Lieberman stands for whatever is politically expedient for him, whereas McCain has true beliefs. The two are quite different. I used to respect Lieberman as a Senator until he became Gore's running mate in 2000. As soon as he became the Democratic VP candidate, he trashed all of his previously moderate political positions and parroted back the Gore platform BS, which largely contradicted his previously held positions. He clearly demonstrated that he was more interested in being elected than he was in taking any strong moral stands. He sold out. John McCain, I assure you, will never sell out for what is politically advantageous. He has proven this by locking horns with the powers that be within his own party.

Curt

bobtheboulderer

Dec 19, 2003, 5:31 AM
Post #8 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, if you value the constitution and freedom of speech, there is no way you can back McCain. His so-called "campaign finance reform", McCain-Feingold, is so anti-constitutional it's pathetic. It abgridges freedom of speech worse than the Patriot Act abridges our civil liberties, they are both bad.

curt

Dec 19, 2003, 6:02 AM
Post #9 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt, if you value the constitution and freedom of speech, there is no way you can back McCain. His so-called "campaign finance reform", McCain-Feingold, is so anti-constitutional it's pathetic. It abgridges freedom of speech worse than the Patriot Act abridges our civil liberties, they are both bad.

Really? The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you, as I do. You are a true Constitutional revisionist. Free speech to the Founding Fathers meant just exactly that, the right to freely express your opinion on a given topic, without fear of retribution. It absolutely did not mean the right to unduly influence the outcome of elections by contributing unlimited dollars, or anything even remotely similar.

Curt

hugepedro

Dec 19, 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #10 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Even though I would disagree with quite a few of his positions, I would vote for McCain in a second. He is a man of integrity. Clark vs. McCain would be my dream race. Even better yet, a Clark/McCain or McCain/Clark ticket, in either party.

hugepedro

Dec 19, 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #11 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
His so-called "campaign finance reform", McCain-Feingold, is so anti-constitutional it's pathetic.

I don't recall reading anything about freedom of bribery in the Constitution. :wink:

bluto

Dec 19, 2003, 11:49 PM
Post #12 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too would like to see McCain or Clark involved. However, if it comes down to Bush and Dean, Bush will likely prevail. I don't believe Dean can attract crossover votes from moderate republicans, and some portions of his platform will likely alienate more conservative southern democrats.

crankinv9

Dec 20, 2003, 12:02 AM
Post #13 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McCain would be my choice as well and I am a registered Democrat. Does anyone remember that Gee Dubya tried to keep McCain from the NY primaries?

Man, you need to listen to the popular radio shows and you find out who the haters are.

offwidth

Dec 20, 2003, 2:57 AM
Post #14 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasn't McCain part of the "Keating Five?"

danooguy

Dec 20, 2003, 2:59 AM
Post #15 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm disappointed in Clark. He doesn't seem to have the ability to connect with enough people. There's a lot about him that I like though. Same with Lieberman...

The Dems had better get squared away fast or come Fall 2004 Bush will be re-appointed by the Supreme Court.

danooguy

Dec 20, 2003, 4:05 AM
Post #16 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

THIS JUST IN! LIBYA AGREES TO DISMANTLE WMD PROGRAM.

According to CNN (so you know its true!) this great news comes as a result of 9 months of behind the scenes effort by the Bush administration!
That's right my children, you heard it here first, President Bush is continuing his campaign to make the world safer for all his children.

And verily, verily, I say unto thee: He shalt be re-appointed by the Supreme Court once again in Two Thousand and Four in the year of our Lord.

:D

timstich

Dec 20, 2003, 5:07 AM
Post #17 of 17 (591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know Curt, if John McCain and I could get drunk and I could beat the sh*t out of him and get rid of some of his stupid ideas, by God, we might have a good President of the United States.

John, if you are reading this give me a call. I will beat some sweet sense into you and get you faced.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook