RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

tupi

Mar 9, 2002, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Grades
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When you are climbing, you are interested only in the grades, or you climb for fun, to enjoy it, or following your own instics. Do you agree with the "GRADE Hunters"?, or you think that climbing is more than a simple Grade Challenge?

daisuke

Mar 9, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Grades [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know who climbs just for the grades, but I DON'T. I'd never get involved with the sole purpose of goin up on the scales, anyone that does that doesn't have their outlook on life very well set or has a very big ego. Climbing is all about enjoying being on the rock and self-fulfillment.

The only thing I use scales for is for planning a climbing trip or knowing how well I am or am not climbing and to set new goals to acheive.

D

fo_d

Mar 9, 2002, 2:25 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb for fun, I think most climbers do but theres a little more to it than that, grades are usefull for several thing to me. one is I can tell if I'm improving. another is: how many times have I looked at a rock and said Bah! I can climb that! then i get on it and its harder than it looked from the ground, so if the guide book says its an 11 I wont waste my time or someone elses time, setting up a top rope on a route I cant make a good attempt at. also when I'm looking for a partner, its a gauge, if I'm talking to joe climber bout going climbing, he needs to know what level I climb at, cause if hes climbing 12's and I'm on 9's I'm gonna drag him down. anyway, I got nothing to brag about, its all about fun and phyisical challenge, but mostly fun.

Does that make sense?

Les

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 9, 2002, 5:28 AM
Post #4 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To each their own.

BUT, if you come around me spouting numbers I'm gonna blind you with my chalk. Grrrrrrr

fo_d

Mar 9, 2002, 6:10 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get off the high horse piano.

cory

Mar 9, 2002, 4:09 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally won't climb a crappy-looking route just for the number, but I am in to pushing myself, and along with that comes bigger numbers. However, if there is somebody who just chases grades, I have no problem with that, either. I don't think one climber can say they climb for a "better"reason than another climber. Neither way is more correct than the other. It's all climbing, and if people keep the spray to a reasonable level, it doesn't bother me if they're phsyched on numbers.

miagi

Mar 9, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Improving on grades and seeking grades isnt really wrong. Just as long as you have fun doing it. For me I look at grades every now and then to see where im at. Im just trying to challenge myself which is part of the fun

arrowhead

Mar 12, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #8 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grade or not, i enjoy the entire climbing experience.

the grades let me know where i'm climbing at. at least it feels good to know that u're improving

-a-

crackaddict

Mar 12, 2002, 4:38 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed the gym rats are really into the grade scale. Since that is all there is to talk about and compare themselves to. Some of the boulderers I have met are this way to refering to problems as numbers.
I use them just to see how hard I can climb. But I will climb any route weather it is 5.0-5.12. I am not to picky. If it sucks I probably wont give it another ascent but if its cool I might give it 20 ascents. I like to see how many climbs I can do. And try to visit as many areas as I can. To me climbing is about the places you get to visit and enjoying the outdoors with a lot of adreniline pumping!

[ This Message was edited by: crackaddict on 2002-03-11 20:43 ]

radistrad

Mar 12, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with crackaddict, the gym rats seem to be the ones into the grades.
I do think that the grades do play an improtant part in my climbing also.
I have set a goal for my self, and that is to be a SOLID 5.10 Yosemite leader. You say why Yosemite? If you have not climbed in the Valley you will not understand. The valley has very few "easy" climbs, all of the climbing is steep and tough. 10a at my local crack is NOT the same as a 10a in the Valley.
Right now I am solid on 5.10 hands and fingers, its the fist and OW that is that hard part for me. This does not mean that I am climbing for the grades, no, it means that I have a goal. The grades are just a means of judging my progress.
I climb because I enjoy the freedom, the team work, being in Yosemite, and in general having fun doing what I love to do.
If I see a crack that looks good, I'll climb it regardless of its grade, unless it has poor pro or is way too hard.

Partner pianomahnn

Mar 12, 2002, 3:27 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Les,

What the hell was that comment for?

crusaderhigh

Mar 12, 2002, 7:02 PM
Post #12 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I'm with crackaddict

fo_d

Mar 13, 2002, 12:30 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

piano, I wondered when you would see that. the comment was in response to your comment "BUT, if you come around me spouting numbers I'm gonna blind you with my chalk. Grrrrrrr", have a little tolerance man. So what if someone is spouting numbers, how does that hurt you?

Les

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook