RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

Dec 31, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Wind Proof Jacket?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a wind proof jacket for climbing...anyone have a recommendation? I am looking at the Columbia Soft-Bloc "sweater"...seems nice enough, not sure if it will stand up to the rock.

Thanks for your help.
Gail

traddad

Dec 31, 2003, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wind Proof Jacket? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're looking for a wind "proof" jacket I suggest looking on Overstock.com or Sierratradingpost.com and getting a cheap Lowe Alpine, or other unlined, no frills gore-tex wannabe jacket. They're light, pack small, keep the wind off and are inexpensive...which means that when you rip it walking past a "wait-a-minute" bush or thrashing in a chimney, you can repair it with duct tape, or toss it and buy another.
I have a Schoeller Dry Skin soft shell and it is of dubious use. It does nothing well. I find myself grabbing my $35 Lowe Alpine or my $20 Trango bail suit most often when heading for the crag.

gblauer

Dec 31, 2003, 7:08 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tradad...you're the man...thanks!

wigglestick

Dec 31, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

goretex is great as long as you aren't sweating (doesn't breath worth a crap and you get wet and cold anyway) or moving (very noisy and you can't hear your partners screams of agony). The list of disadvantages goes on.

Softshells are where it is at. For 95% of the conditions you will encounter a softshell will be more than adequate. Slightly pricey but worth it when you consider that they can be worn in conditions ranging from 50F and sunny during a rigorous approach and 0F and 50 mile per hour winds. Those are the extremes of conditions I encountered last weekend and I didn't have to change my coat. I have a beyond fleece (www.beyondfleece.com) and highly recommend it. The shoeller fabric is extrememly durable (moreso than goretex for sure). You can get a jacket custom sewn for less that you would pay for a big name brand and then you get one that fits your particular shape. A huge plus for women who aren't shaped like the average male.

traddad

Dec 31, 2003, 8:08 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wigglestick is right.....up to a point. Many of the old gore-tex jackets don't breathe well, but if you look for one of the new ones made for back country running, etc, they usually have HUGE vents . Mine does.
Lets see....$35 for a windproof, waterproof jacket and $30 for a 200 weight polar fleece that breathes REALLY well...that's what, less than 50% of a soft shell?
Think popping camp fire, think cheese grater slab fall, think greasy auto trunk, think room mate/spouse who can't read washing instructions.....
Climbing clothing should work well but be disposable. These are work clothes.

moabbeth

Jan 1, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the North Face Redpoint jacket a couple months back cause I wanted something with the warmth of down that wasn't as bulky, breathed well, was waterproof AND windproof. I love this jacket, it's the best. When everyone else out that the crags are freezing I always feel great. I was suprised how well it stands up in the wind, it's warmer than another "windproof" jacket that I have.

climbingurlie

Jan 1, 2004, 7:13 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if this is warm enough for what you need or are looking for, but Nike has some nice "fleece" sweatshirt/jackets out in their All Conditions Gear line. The material that it's made of is wind proof, it traps heat, and whisks away moisture. It also has a nice little hole in the bottom of the sleeve for your thumb. :)

gblauer

Jan 1, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all, I will go out on Friday and see what I can find. I am headed to Potrero Chico on the 17th and want to stay warm during the early morning hours...

iamnotender

Jan 2, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if i never hear "you're the man" again, ive heard it one time too many. hehe kidding mom. :)

g.g.32-82
Deleted

Jan 3, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mountain hardware makes the best windproof jacket, kinda pricy, although its worth it. Pit zips in anything windproof is a must. Don't buy Coloumbia that stuff is for kids and lamos.

enjoimx

May 30, 2004, 9:17 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry bro, i bought columbia...am i lame now? i paid less money than some other brands and my jacket is rockin.

hotforclimbers

Jun 5, 2004, 4:48 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love softshell jackets for their lightweightness, packability, breathability, water and wind-resistant properties. There are several brands that make softshell jackets but my old standby is the Cloudveil Serendipity (Schoeller Dryskin Extreme) or the Cloudveil Ice Floe (Serendipity with an articulated drawstring hood). You may balk (or possibly faint) at the sticker prices of these jackets but I'm telling you, they're well-worth the price and they're bombproof!

P.S. Did I mention that Schoeller is also abrasion-resistant?

chalkdustpwr

Jun 14, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's just for windproof... I use a Jcrew mens pull over windbreaker. It's just a shell, but it's got the rip stop thing, and water proof. I don't know if JCrew still has it ... i got it at the outlet store... I think it was about $15. ... I walked across the golden gate in it once, and i did not feel any wind at all! :) To make it warmer, i just layer my favorite fleece sweater (also from JCrew, $20) underneath it. I take it skiing with me, and it's perfect... no icy patches on me... (trust me on that one, i fall all the time.)

happyblue

Jun 14, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mountain hardware makes the best windproof jacket, kinda pricy, although its worth it. Pit zips in anything windproof is a must. Don't buy Coloumbia that stuff is for kids and lamos.

Right on! I've a Mountain Hardwear Women's Windstopper Tech Jacket. It was a justifiable expense when I had a real job. No significant discernable wear, but I haven't started to do trad. :D The pit zips are awesome and I love the wrist pocket for keys and other small stuff. I've taken it on almost every trip since I've purchased it. Except for Jamaica! ;) Definitely every climbing, snowblading, and camping trip.

mountainchick82

Jul 9, 2004, 2:59 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marmot Driclime windshirt...they make one for women. I just baught one for my boyfriend and he loves it!

http://www.backcountry.com/store/product_detail_large.html?product_id=MAR0254#

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook