RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

wildduck

Jan 16, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Is it normal ?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not too sure of whats happening to me, and i really hate it.

I climbed at the gym very well today. Exceptionally well. I mean, it was my personal best at the difficulty routes today. But after i decide to take a 20 mins break and get a cold coke, when i started climbing again, my arms hurt like crazy ! Its like a sharp pinch in the muscles when I pull myself up the holds.. I practically had to kick myself up and ignore the tremendous pain or bail. I did both. I just couldn't climb anymore after the break.

Is it normal ? The area that feels hurt is the part between the wrist and elbow. The section that hurts like hell when i pull is the muscles that is nearest to the elbow. This never happens as i seldom take long breaks.

I did sufficient warm ups and i'm still full of energy. I warmed up and tried again but still no diff. It still hurts till now.. looks like i'll be out till a few days later...

overlord

Jan 16, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Re: Is it normal ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you probably cooled down. its qute normal.

keazah

Jan 16, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with overlord... you might have cooled down add since you had worked harder than what you used to you might have sored your muscles... I've had to bare with something similar... and some friends told me not to put to much pressure in those muscles and before warm up I used one of those oinments that heat up your muscles...

Hope it helps! :wink:

thegimp

Jan 16, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend back home practically couldn't even move his thumb and it turned out he had a pinched nerve in his back. A back-crackin' doctor, a little rest, and it was better...

mtman

Jan 16, 2004, 8:17 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had similar pain in the past especially near the elbow and what seamed to be the elbow its self. my mom is a physical therapist and she figured out what was wrong. it turned out to be the tendons that run from your fingers attach at your elbow and what that pain is from over stressing the tendons and ligaments. what you need to do is to take it easy for as couple of days ( i know its hard). if the pain persists then i would see a doctor because you might have torn the tendon, which is unlikely, also you might have some tendonitis.

a rule of thumb if it hurts don't do it, take it easy and in a couple of days you should be ok

jpearl

Jan 16, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch! Sounds like Lactic Acid buildup in the muscles to me, usually the result of inactivity after being very active.

Even on my hardest climbing nights in a gym, I still keep my rest periods to about five minutes where I drink plenty of water and keep my arms moving. Lactic acid buildup is something I remember from my cycling days, and though I don't remember exactlly how to explain it anymore, you generally want to keep your body moving until after you're done climbing, then do a warmdown.

Remember that forearms take a beating in a gym, getting pumped excessivelly as you climb. Stretch 'em real good before you climb, then restretch and shake 'em out regularly as you climb. Any breaks should be short, and used as a time to rehydrate yourself with water or an energy drink while massaging, stretching, and moving your body to get it ready for more climbing.

overlord

Jan 17, 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL, lactic acid is really something after a long bike ride. ouch.

hazael

Jan 17, 2004, 2:41 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Jpearl, when you work hard a muscle it makes lactic acid, but as you keep working it the acid is expulsed form the muscle and we sweat it out (in fact that's how we get stronger) but if suddenly you stop the exercise, the muscle stop producing this acid, and it hurts cause it need more of it. If that's so, you should exercise at least a little next day to help the muscle produce the acid again.

Nevertheless you should be sure that that is the kind of pain you are feeling, cause if it is a nerve pinch or something like that you should be more careful. Can you close your fist with your normal strength? or does it feel funny?

wildduck

Jan 17, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's been almost days 3 now..
and yes i can close my fist... no prob with that, but it does still feel hurt..
same spot.. same pain... doesn't seem to decrease. When i pull on my fridge with my hands, i feel the pain.. only when i pull things... like chin ups.. can't do any now.... it hurts..

skiclimb

Jan 17, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it's muscle it should be tender to the touch and after this much time would be likely a tear (not good but not much you can do about it except be careful and wait)...if it only happens bearing load then it's probably tennis elbow or some other tendon inflamation...(not good either same fix but once it slows down there ore some exercises to help avoid this problem)

jakedatc

Jan 17, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you put any resistance against the muscle? eg. squeeze a ball or whatever?
if it happened suddenly and you are having trouble doing the actions of that muscle..
if you are weaker then normal and causes pain then i'm guessing you strained the muscle and it will take a few more days of total rest, ice, light stretching(more stretching after there is no pain) then work you way back into more resistance..

thats my thought.. if it hurts longer then a week without easing up go get it checked out

scubasnyder

Jan 17, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id say you cooled down

casco

Jan 18, 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try warming up before the difficulty routes, that should do the trick.

slhappy

Jan 18, 2004, 12:59 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totally unnormal...you should be able to warm back up to the pre-break level. maybe you are climbing to hard.

drkodos

Jan 18, 2004, 1:01 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing is normal.

Anomolies abound.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook