Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dontfall

Jan 7, 2004, 3:12 AM
Post #26 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Re: moving to usa 4 climbing,where's best? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If I could I would move to California myself. Anyone know how the pay is as a Police Officer?

chossmonkey

Jan 10, 2004, 1:42 AM
Post #27 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someday when I finally get around to moving it will be to Las Vegas. There is so much climbing close to town and there are lots of other great areas within easy striking distance for long weekend trips. Not to mention you can climb there year round without freezing to bad in winter or getting your sweat glands removed for summer.

rokklym

Jan 17, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #28 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Someday when I finally get around to moving it will be to Las Vegas. There is so much climbing close to town and there are lots of other great areas within easy striking distance for long weekend trips. Not to mention you can climb there year round without freezing to bad in winter or getting your sweat glands removed for summer.

Make sure you get a place with a spare room so I can stay there!

harrisha

Jan 17, 2004, 5:59 PM
Post #29 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the middle of california great access to great climbing in 180 degree radius from mexico all the way to BC

oudinardin

Jan 17, 2004, 7:34 PM
Post #30 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did'nt read all this crap. Move west and you'll find your home. 8000 posts, Jesus. :roll:

luke

Jan 17, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #31 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems to me you would more useful replies if you mentioned whether the plan was to move only to near places where astrazeneca has research facilities (boston, wilmington) or were also considering other areas. Astrazeneca doesn't have facilities near good climbing locations in the US (locations are OK, but much better places exist; boston is probably better than wilmington IMHO). If you want just locations with astrazeneca+climbing I would say that you may be in the best one already, though gothenburg (sweden) and montreal might be in the running and I know nothing about rheims (france). Else I'd list some cities where they do the right kind of research and see what opinions people have

personally I like the climbing in the southwest US, so I'd also go with those who say arizona, california, colorado, utah.

joe

Jan 17, 2004, 8:18 PM
Post #32 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

utah has some great climbing. too bad you have to deal with a bunch of snobby, self absorbed yuppies and/or mormon retards.

seriously, there is something truly wrong with people here.

rory

Jan 18, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #33 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any where in Colorado!!! From any part of Denver, You are no more than an hour from some of the greatest in the world, i.e., El Dorado Canyon, Boulder Canyon, The Flatirons, Garden of the Gods...Just take your pick!

keinangst

Jan 18, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #34 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I liked your comment about "distance being nothing to Americans". :D

I was reading an article the other day about visitors to the states having little concept of the massive expanses of land here. Add in some cheap petrol and virtually no useful rail system, and you have a recipe for some long road trips. All in all, places are fairly spread out. Of course, avoid the Northeast coast (Washington to Boston) and the California coast unless you want to see urban madness personified.

Which brings us to why I love the South. We have the least congestion and some of the best people to be found in all the world. Granted, many rural areas are very underdeveloped and poorly funded, resulting in a regressive social situation--but don't believe the stuff you see in the media, most of it serves to make the region look bad.

To your specific question--there is a great deal of terrific climbing within a day's drive of Knoxville, TN (or Chattanooga, Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte). I've lived all over the country, and I think that this is the best place so far.

itakealot

Jan 18, 2004, 6:22 AM
Post #35 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

California! Which has the two best areas in the US! Yosemite and Joshua Tree. If anyone disagrees with this, you obviously haven't climbed here. Do you know any climbers who have sold all their possessions and lived in a van at a climbing area in the East?

bbevans039

Jan 18, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #36 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

since you recieve all of the season, i suggest you stay on the east coast, a couple of pitches of trad climbing with nice bouldering... easy THE GUNKS !!! Youll thank me when you see it !!!!!

orangekyak

Jan 18, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #37 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you know any climbers who have sold all their possessions and lived in a van at a climbing area in the East?
Yes, there are a number of east coast dirtbags. They're too busy climbing or skiing to post up. You're probably right that there are fewer out here, but cost of living, availability of cheap/free accomodations, and weather make it difficult for anyone to dirtbag the eastside longer than months at a time. That says nothing about rock/route quality.

If I were inclined to join the ranks of the vanguard, it would take a couple years to convince myself that the Mississippi was worth crossing. But that's just me. oh, and 2pac lives.

climbforchrist

Jan 18, 2004, 8:13 PM
Post #38 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hands down the best place to live and climb is the pacific northwest, (Seattle, Portland or Vancouver BC) if u dont mind the weather. For those who want to climb all grades and a variety of mountains. We got glacier, rock, ice. Squamish, Smith Rocks, Cascades, Coast range, Lilioet is close. Alaska is a ferry ride away and Tons of climbing to be had. More importantly the northwest has a fairly progressive populace, very liberal place compared to most of the USA. Since you are coming from England you might appreciate it.

climbon_stone

Jan 18, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #39 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For being centrally located to a greater numer of world class climbing areas I would have to say California, Utah, and/or Colorado. North Carolina should also get mentioned.

But for climbing year round... California.

california baby, we got everything, in drving distance, check out yosemite area, or so cal for cliff climbing.

lemmon_squeezer

Jan 18, 2004, 9:51 PM
Post #40 of 40 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I like Tucson, AZ. Pretty much no weather restrictions at all, you can climb year-round on Mt. Lemmon- thousands of routes. close proximity to J-Tree and Cochise Stronghold and not as big or crowded as Phoenix. Then again, this is all assuming someone from the UK can stand 100 degree+ summers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook