First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jv

Jan 20, 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #1 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Repression on rockclimbing.com
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although the outpouring of grief and ire at PTPP's recent removal from the ranks appears not to have run its course, russman, who I presume is a pimply moderator, has decided this is not a topic suitable for further discussion.
In reply to:
I agree...this has now been answered a few times. No more rehashing nessicary. I am closing this thread. russman has locked this thread.
So children behave and don't whisper behind his back. Another example, along with PTPP's expulsion, of the ugly side of a moderated forum.

Cheers,
JV

P.S. I found PTPP most annoying and stopped reading his posts on about my third visit to this forum. I just don't like censorship.

Partner russman

Jan 20, 2004, 12:14 AM
Post #2 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Re: Repression on rockclimbing.com [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jv...should look around the site a little more before you assume/persume...I am Admin/Owner of the site. Have been helping run this site for over 3 years now. As Trevor, Site Owner and the person who made the final dicission about Pete stated below, there was no more need for discussion, since the thread was again for the second time in about 2 weeks, was not a discussion, but more side vs. side (for vs. against). Trevor said his piece, the official site stance, put an end to it as far as Admis and Mods are concerned, so the thread no longer needed to be left open.

In reply to:
By Trevor--Site Owner---Pete and I have had a mutual agreement that he would take an indefinite leave of absence from Rockclimbing.com. The details are private and I don't know of any TOS that requires us to release to the public why we did this. The bottom line is that Pete is still around, still able to view information, and has been encouraged (by me) to continue to write and maybe even start a website of his own. Personally, I like his contributions and it was very hard for me to make this decision with Pete. Sure he rubs a lot of (maybe most) people the wrong way, but the reality is that he knew a lot about what he did and was a distinct flare of color in a world of black and white. I have wished him the best and hope he continues to have a successful and budding career.

We agreed to leave all of his content on the site for "posterity sake" and we hope you will enjoy it. As for getting more of Dr. Piton and his "wee-wee" the crab wall, you can still send messages to Dr. Piton @ Rock & Ice or try to contact him directly. I am sure he will be glad to send back a 4 or 5 chapter email back to you. He's never been shy or out of words.

I hope this is enough information, since I don't really feel comfortable sharing anymore. BTW, just in case anyone wants to know. I made final decision after about 3+ months of extensive research and consultation. And all mods, editors, and administrators knew about my decision before it was made. Nothing here was done rashly, by only one or two people, or without proper notification of appropriate parties (sorry I didn't consider 50,000 people per day as part of the appropriate parties on this one).

curt

Jan 20, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #3 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jv,
In reply to:
I found PTPP most annoying and stopped reading his posts on about my third visit to this forum. I just don't like censorship.
I just don't like taxes either, do you think I should start another thread?

Curt

kunzie

Jan 20, 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #4 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
who I presume is a pimply moderator

Not at all, look at his profile pic, it's free of acne.....
Why the stereotype? Does it help you explain your view of repression on rockclimbing.com? Or did you just want to get a cheap shot at a perceived genre of moderators?

Partner russman

Jan 20, 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #5 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
P.S. I found PTPP most annoying and stopped reading his posts on about my third visit to this forum. I just don't like censorship.

Do a forum search for Censorship and our site and you will see you are not alone....but that still doesn't change that we can and will end threads when we deem they are going in a counterproductive way.

Most know this site is moderated more than most (especially for a climbingsite), there are other places to surf if it really bothers you that much :roll:

Time to play with my kids now, so you can talk behind my back for a while....flame away :twisted: 8)

scotto

Jan 20, 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #6 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated help me out on this one - but shouldn't it be oppression.
repression is the act of suppressing your own thoughts/actions.
anywhoo - this thread is just one more example of the high school lunchroom discussions that go on in this site. If you weren't involved in this decision then don't worry about what happened.

jv

Jan 20, 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #7 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As Trevor, Site Owner and the person who made the final dicission about Pete stated below, there was no more need for discussion, since the thread was again for the second time in about 2 weeks, was not a discussion, but more side vs. side (for vs. against).

You pulled the plug on a discussion. You cut them off. Why not let it run its course? They are the only ones reading it anyway. You guys are way too sensitive. Better to let these things peter out on their own.

In reply to:
Trevor said his piece, the official site stance, put an end to it as far as Admis and Mods are concerned, so the thread no longer needed to be left open.

See that's what I am talking about. It's not up to you and Trev to make that call. What's the harm? This is making you guys uncomfortable so you end it? You don't end other threads that go on ad nauseam. I can understand pulling the plug on an obscene thread, or revoking someone's privileges because they are sending inappropriate messages to children. But this particular curtailment of free speech, locking this thread, is totally unnecessary.

In reply to:
By Trevor--Site Owner---Pete and I have had a mutual agreement that he would take an indefinite leave of absence from Rockclimbing.com. The details are private . . . .

I couldn't care less about why PTPP was expelled. I'm sure there were good reasons after agonizing over it for so long, and after all, it is a moderated site, and being the owner/moderators, you get to make the rules. It bothers me more that you locked the thread. But my point is that on an unmoderated forum, no one is expelled and no threads are ever locked.

JV

tweek

Jan 20, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's not up to you (Russman) and Trev to make that call.

I'm pretty sure it is up to them. :D

In reply to:
But my point is that on an unmoderated forum, no one is expelled and no threads are ever locked.

Way to point out the obvious!!!!

jv

Jan 20, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #9 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why the stereotype? Does it help you explain your view of repression on rockclimbing.com? Or did you just want to get a cheap shot at a perceived genre of moderators?

Cheap shot. You got me. My bad.

JV

okc_discgolfer

Jan 20, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #10 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well....i have my own opinoins bout how things should have been done.....but it is very simple....
if u dont like it...leave...very simple.
i come here for discussion bout rock climbing....i personally dont give a damn bout the politics that goes on.
it is obvious....this matter is not up to a vote.
so get over it
if u think that it is unfair.....maybe u should have registered the domain name b4 others did....then u could have ur democratic web forum that u would like......but u didnt...so get over it or get out....dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
%end rant%

drkodos

Jan 20, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #11 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Cheap shot. You got me. My bad.

JV

I read that as PIMPly, meaning he must be the Hizzle fo Shizzle ma Nizzle of all Moderizzle here on RC.comizzle

oldandintheway

Jan 20, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #12 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang, I got to get out of Community more often. 8)

graysondamondamian

Jan 20, 2004, 1:32 AM
Post #13 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am Admin/Owner of the site. Have been helping run this site for over 3 years now.

duh ,jv, only the rich and powerful can censor :roll: [/sarcasm]

extrememountaineer

Jan 20, 2004, 1:38 AM
Post #14 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two admins here that I would trust wholeheartedly to do the right thing, one of them is Russman. You don't know your arse from a gopher hole if you think Russ is ome sort of jerk oppressive moderator. I don't participate in this site because of hypocritical, idiot, admin/mods that are so PC it is pathetic. I do browse from time to time and it is cases like this when I have to post because of my respect for Russ. Russ is one of the coolest guys I have ever been acquainted with, although it has only been via electronic means and the telephone. During the years when this site was really beginning to take hold, I was very involved here in many different areas and Russ was the guy that I worked closely with. I don't know the details here, didn't even read all the posts, but take my word for it, Russ doesn't deserve to be crapped on here.

I don't come out of mothballs often to post, but this is one time when I had to.

climbs4fun

Jan 20, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #15 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun moved this thread from General to Community.

dood

Jan 20, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #16 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="okc_discgolfer"]

then u could have ur democratic web forum that u would like......but u didnt...so get over it or get out....dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
%end rant%
See JK? wreck dot climbing may be anarchistic, but you don't get censored. Nor do you get piled on by a bunch of high school boulderers and frisbee golfers.

trevor
Anonymous Poster

Jan 20, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #17 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hint: if you feel you're being oppressed, then just start another thread.

Suggestion: if you want to get a very bad name, call one of the owners "pimply"

Novel Idea: moderators moderate primarily for the sake of keeping the site clean, focused, and interesting. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with repression. You're yelling sexual harrassment and all we did was ask your gender.

Question: this really has nothing to do with Pete does it? what's really bothering you?

Question for self: why did I respond to this??

oldandintheway

Jan 20, 2004, 1:56 AM
Post #18 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Gee thanks for moving the thread...there goes the neighborhood. :roll:

climbs4fun

Jan 20, 2004, 2:01 AM
Post #19 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbs4fun moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Gee thanks for moving the thread...there goes the neighborhood. :roll:

Awwww c'mon. Is there any doubt that this is where this belongs?

jv

Jan 20, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #20 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are two admins here that I would trust wholeheartedly to do the right thing, one of them is Russman. You don't know your arse from a gopher hole if you think Russ is ome sort of jerk oppressive moderator. I don't participate in this site because of hypocritical, idiot, admin/mods that are so PC it is pathetic. I do browse from time to time and it is cases like this when I have to post because of my respect for Russ. Russ is one of the coolest guys I have ever been acquainted with,
. . . .
I don't come out of mothballs often to post, but this is one time when I had to.

I respect your opinion. I retracted my ill-considered remark above, and personally apologized. I don't presume to know whether or not russman is an oppressive moderator. I'll take your word that he is not. But I didn't accuse him of that.

He decided that the PTPP thread was counterproductive, and he locked it even though it was no more counterproductive than any other thread that goes over the same ground again and again, like they all do. How did it violate the terms of service? It did not. The reason it was killed was because the owner/moderators were uncomfortable with questions about their judgment. It was a pointless exercise of power, and totally unnecessary because the thread would have withered and died by itself in a day or two.

JV

Partner coldclimb

Jan 20, 2004, 2:15 AM
Post #21 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic is funny. :lol:

You want a site that goes by your idealistic whims, you can build it. We won't repress you there.

This is rockclimbing.com and it is run the way the owners want to run it. You want a voice in how things get done? Click the partnership link at the top of this page.

dood

Jan 20, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #22 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to censor this thread on censorship isn't it? Let's talk about important climbing stuff instead.
So...who wears socks when they climb?

jt512

Jan 20, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #23 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

More importantly, Trevor, why did you respond with a veiled threat?

-Jay

jv

Jan 20, 2004, 5:01 AM
Post #24 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wasn't feeling oppressed until your henchwoman consigned this thread to the asylum.

In reply to:
A 'bad name'?? Please elaborate, oh exalted one. Anyway, I acknowledged my error in calling russman pimply, and apologized. So it's not lack of civility that you've got a problem with.

In reply to:
Novel Idea: moderators moderate primarily for the sake of keeping the site clean, focused, and interesting.

You mean this thread isn't as clean, focused, and interesting 'I want to try climbing but I don't know how'; 'I need a new pair of shoes, tell me which ones to buy'; or 'How do I take a dump on a wall'?? Is 'pimply' a term of profanity? Admit it, moving this thread to the Community was done for one reason: to get it off the board on the first page. And for what? What are you guys so afraid of?

In reply to:
Question: this really has nothing to do with Pete does it? what's really bothering you?
Correct, this has nothing to do with Pete. I thought I made it clear that I don't like gratuitous (unnecessary; unwarranted) censorship. I just noticed an example and pointed it out. And boy, did I hit a sore spot.

In reply to:
See above.

JV

BTW, repression = "to put down by force"

climbs4fun

Jan 20, 2004, 5:29 AM
Post #25 of 49 (2176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I wasn't feeling oppressed until your henchwoman consigned this thread to the asylum.

Let's see...

Has NOTHING to do with climbing. Doesn't belong in general.
Has NOTHING to do with a specific area. Doesn't belong in regional.

Stirring up the crap. Belongs in community. Don't like it... tough!

You can call me whatever you want. Doesn't bother me a bit. Amazing how it's always pouty faced little boys who get bitter and cry when their threads are moved or their hands slapped for being an ass! Grow up little one.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook