Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

overthehillclimber

Jan 22, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 12 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: DC_Metro_-_North_Eastern: Boucher_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was in to Boucher Rocks a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Looks interesting, but it is posted like crazy "no trespassing" all along the top of the cliffs and even down the sides. Does anyone have authoritative information about where the property line is? The guide says the crag is on public land, but the local mansion apparently doesn't think so, or is trying to make others think not. :?

jerrygarcia

Jan 22, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #2 of 12 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Re: Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The access is along the river, not up along the mansions. Park in the court, walk towards the beltway(rt495). You will see a trail that runs straight down to the water, go left(upriver) and you will come to the base of the rocks after a short walk. If there is no path at the river then there is no access. The path floods out from time to time.

ropeburn

Jan 22, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #3 of 12 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I belive you are referring to the white house ( and enormous white patio deck thing that comes almost to the edge of the cliffs above seeds and stems and long corner. Jerry's right you should access the bottom of the cliffs from the PATC trail that starts in the cul-de-sac. Maybe you saw these signs while trying to set up a top rope on or near one of the climbs I mentioned before. While I don't have authoritative information on the property lines, I belive the reason these have been posted is climbers setting top ropes off trees that are far away from the cliff and actually in the persons backyard. I understand that those trees are the best candidates for anchors but I would say err on the side of caution and be discrete when setting up anchors on these climbs. Set up anchors close, stay close to the edge of the cliff, and don't do anything to upset the homeowners and I don't belive you'll have any problems. P.S. Remember to park your car discreetly in the small gravel pulloff on the right side of the cul-de-sac, thems lawyers in them houses.

overthehillclimber

Jan 23, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #4 of 12 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The problem was not how to find it (physical access). We found it fine along the river. The problem is that it is posted, even down near the bottom (at the edges) and right at the top (legal access). Is this just intimidation? Does anyone know where the property line for the public land is?

Overthehillclimber

orangeandrew

Apr 11, 2005, 8:29 PM
Post #5 of 12 (8688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of us went out to Boucher this weekend and saw the same No Trespassing signs, so we asked the owner of the huge white mansion. The woman who came to the door was very nice, but she said they owned the property down to the high water mark, which depending on how high the 100-year flood mark is could be debatable. So, it seemed to us she might not own the cliffs, but there's no way to set up anchors without being right in their backyard. She correctly said they'd be liable if we set up anchors on their property and were injured.

We bailed an went to Great Falls for the afternoon. I'm hoping to check out Quaking Apsen and the bouldering areas that are supposed to be in the area in a few weeks, maybe they'll have better access. BTW, thanks to Ropeburn for beta.

jhernand

Jan 3, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #6 of 12 (7688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orangeandrew] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was down at boucher rocks this past weekend to investigate the area. I did not yet know about the access problems, but upon arrival became fully aware that I was not supposed to be there. On top of the signs posted that people here are commenting on… there is now a fence with barb wire along the base of the access trail restricting anyone to come in. An easy scramble got me past the fence… and to the base of the rock. I did not climb (did not go with the intention to climb) but checked things out, and called it a day. I talked to the owners as well, and they told me the same story with allowing climbers to the area. Liability issues… blah blah blah blah… funny isn’t it? That they can now own the rock? Anyway… kinda a bummer because the climbing at the falls is getting more crowded by the day.

Oh Yeah… and there is a sea kayak washed up at the base of boucher rocks. Its orange… and looks to be in great condition. My guess was someone let it get away from them further up stream, and it made its way down to the base of the rocks. Personally I would of gone after it, but this person did not. I hope its not something with an injury involved…. In any case… if your in the market for a sea kayak… they are givin em away over at boucher rocks.

knieveltech

Jan 3, 2008, 5:29 PM
Post #7 of 12 (7677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orangeandrew] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "orangeandrew"]A couple of us went out to Boucher this weekend and saw the same No Trespassing signs, so we asked the owner of the huge white mansion. The woman who came to the door was very nice, but she said they owned the property down to the high water mark, which depending on how high the 100-year flood mark is could be debatable. So, it seemed to us she might not own the cliffs, but there's no way to set up anchors without being right in their backyard. She correctly said they'd be liable if we set up anchors on their property and were injured.

We bailed an went to Great Falls for the afternoon. I'm hoping to check out Quaking Apsen and the bouldering areas that are supposed to be in the area in a few weeks, maybe they'll have better access. BTW, thanks to Ropeburn for beta.[/quote]

You may want to check out some of the liability information posted on the Access Fund website. The assertion that they would be liable is likely incorrect, depending on how VA defines "attractive nuisance". Then again I'm no lawyer, so I could be totally off base.

toofreakinsexy1

Jul 21, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #8 of 12 (7292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Freakin rich people, eh? We were there this weekend and 'somehow' ended up on the wrong side of the fence... looks like fun, but not worth getting in trouble over. It's a shame when people feel like they own something thiey're not going to use like others would love too... the only thing those cliffs are good for now are perching their balcony high up for that 2.3 mil view... I'd be interested in anybody with any legal know how looking up where they're property line ends and if they really would be liable for an injury.
And has anybody else tried to use Horst's guide to get there?? Good God, does he own a driver's license? Is he blind and owns a driver's license?? lol We did a few U-Turns in his honor trying to find the cul-de-sac.

bstamps

Jul 28, 2010, 8:00 PM
Post #9 of 12 (6348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toofreakinsexy1] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Turn off of Live Oak Dr onto Green Oak Dr, the road will come to a cul-de-sac with a private road off of it. Go down the private road and after the first house on the right is the Scenic Conservation Easement (public land). This goes all the way to the water in a North by North East direction.

The map was to big to attach. You can download a property line map at this web site; http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gisapps/pdfViewer/default.htm you want map 21-2

Armed with information will allow you to climb legally.

longarmedbob

Sep 2, 2010, 2:19 PM
Post #10 of 12 (6234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bstamps] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see that most of the posts concerning access issues to Boucher are from 2004. Is it still posted (Sept 2010), or more importantly, does anyone know of anyone ever getting ticketed for climbing there? I observe access rules, but legal is legal.

Can one set up with gear to stay out of the landowner's back yard?

Ihockey100

Sep 20, 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #11 of 12 (6157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [longarmedbob] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I looked at a map of the area and he owns the land near the water but it is a public easement. So that means that you area allowed to get to the base of the cliff. However I went the other day to check it out the owner removed all the trees on top making it impossible to top rope without using his deck as an anchor.

ocean

Oct 26, 2010, 1:37 AM
Post #12 of 12 (6047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ihockey100] Access ?? to Boucher Rocks, VA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting about Bouchers Rock for a long time I thought it was lost but if their is a public easement on the property then the fence he installed would be illegal yes?

The anchoring thing would be a harder one to remedy. But I hear their is a wicked bouldering roof down their lol

Ocean

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook