Forums: Climbing Information: General:
How much can I trust the belay loop in my harness??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

keazah

Jan 16, 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 23 (10769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was recently reading in a “climbing safe” book that the belay hoop should not be used to anchor yourself because it is proven that after a years use of your harness the belay loop might not hold…

How true is that? I frequently use that loop? Am I not supposed to use it? :shock:

g-funk
Deleted

Jan 17, 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #2 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Re: How much can I trust the belay loop in my harness?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm curious too. Everybody says not to use it, but I've never heard of it actually failing.

vegastradguy

Jan 17, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 23 (10764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when tying in, you should tie in through the waist and leg loops...because that part of the harness is designed for years of abrasion of rope against webbing. the belay loop is designed for carabiners to clip to it, since they will not abraid the material like rope will.

however, the belay loop is the strongest part of your harness. it's actually rated stronger than the harness itself. it isnt designed for tying in, though. its meant for belaying as a convience. you could certainly clip yourself to it and clip to an anchor as a means of securing yourself in perfect safety (i do this all the time).

frequently check your harness for fraying. if the loop (or any other part) is frayed, retire the harness.

there is a thread around that has info from Black Diamond about belay loops and their strength and purpose. hopefully someone will link it up, since i'm the designated lazy guy who never does. haha. :P

mmckinney

Jan 17, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #4 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use it for repelling and belaying. in my opinion it is the strongest part of the harness... a doubled sewn peice of thick webbing... just check it along with the tie in point in your harness... when its worn, get a new harness.

Partner philbox

Jan 17, 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #5 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was recently reading in a “climbing safe” book that the belay hoop should not be used to anchor yourself because it is proven that after a years use of your harness the belay loop might not hold…

How true is that? I frequently use that loop? Am I not supposed to use it? :shock:

This has to be a troll, however in case it is not the replies already submitted all make valid points. I will add that as the others have stated the belay loop is the strongest part of the harness and should be used for most things associated with anchoring and belaying except for tieing in.

Research was conducted as to how strong a belay loop actually is. What was done is this, a belay loop was created but not sewn, it was merely taped to prevent it from unwinding. A load was applied to the loop and it held full strength. The sewing is there to simply hold the loop from unwinding. You in effect have a no knot anchor or friction knot at your waist. Neat huh. Way stronger than you`ll ever need. If that thing busts you`ll have more than that to worry about. You would have broken every bone in your body first.

popol

Jan 17, 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #6 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the Petzl harnesses, there's even an advice to use the belay loop for attaching the rope, even for head climbers..

corpse

Jan 17, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #7 of 23 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the Petzl harnesses, there's even an advice to use the belay loop for attaching the rope, even for head climbers..

What about nose climbers? hehehe couldn't resist..

popol

Jan 17, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #8 of 23 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, lead climbers. Translated it too literally :oops:

If you want to nose climb, use your piercing to attach your rope ;)

geezergecko

Jan 17, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #9 of 23 (10764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Um, yes and no. Looking at the Petzl climber's sit harness manual in front of me here, I see it recommending what most climbers already do, ie. clip into the belay loop only with a carabiner for belaying or rappelling, and when climbing, tie into the waist and leg points and do not use the belay loop. There is one specific exception and that is when you are also using a chest harness along with the seat harness and in this case you can tie into the belay loop after the rope passes through the chest harness points.

popol

Jan 17, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #10 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, maybe you're right. It might have been changed meanwhile. At least, it was on the manual of my harness, some 6 years ago. Also European vs US manual may be a difference :?

Anyway, it's safe to use it.

On the other part, clipping biners in the leg/waist loops - as some people do - is no good. The biners damage the harness, especially when you clip / unclip them frequently. Better use a figure 8 knot then.

bbziger

Jan 17, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #11 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Black Diamond info about belay loop strength mentioned above can be found here:

http://home.echo-on.net/~toadhall/outside/climbing/gear_tech_belay_loop.html

-BBB

climber_dave

Jan 18, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #12 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If that thing busts you`ll have more than that to worry about. You would have broken every bone in your body first.
Ha! :) So true. Sure the thread is a troll, but I have heard it come up so often, even among long time climbers.

drkodos

Jan 18, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #13 of 23 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Fully and implicitly.

scubasnyder

Jan 18, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #14 of 23 (10766 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

until it looks crappy then get a new harness

Partner philbox

Jan 19, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #15 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`ll say one more thing about biners clipped directly through the waist and leg parts of the harness. What is being set up here is a triaxial load to the carabiner and thus the biner is being loaded in ways for which it is not designed. In reality if one were to use anything one should actually be using a delta or D Mallion.

A carabiner is designed to accept loads near the spine of the carabiner. When another element is introduced into this straight line load configuration you are starting to load the carabiner towards the nose or gate side of the carabiner, this will greatly reduce the loads that this carabiner will carry. There is too much bulk of material in the waist and leg loops of a harness for a carabiner to ever be able to perform as it is designed to.

Use the belay loop, that is what it is designed for.

soleclimbr

Jan 19, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #16 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

your belay loop is the strongest piece on your harness just dont tie into it cuz then u wouldnt have redundency

dc

Jan 19, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #17 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i trust my loop.. but i still dont use it.. cos.. its so damn annoying how the loop twists the belay device sideways... so i dont use my belay loop but not cos of safety.. like i'll clip in to an anchor with it.. but i dont actually use it for belaying.. the ATC ends up facing sideways :x ..

do any of you find this too?

tedc

Jan 19, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #18 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can't trust your belay loop how can the person you are BELAYING!!??

braon

Jan 19, 2004, 6:13 PM
Post #19 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i trust my loop.. but i still dont use it.. cos.. its so damn annoying how the loop twists the belay device sideways... so i dont use my belay loop but not cos of safety.. like i'll clip in to an anchor with it.. but i dont actually use it for belaying.. the ATC ends up facing sideways :x ..

do any of you find this too?
The ATC ends up sideways if you don't use the belay loop. Using the belay loop, you can switch hands belaying whenever you need to since the strands of rope are above/below each other as opposed to being side by side. Not using the belay loop means that if you want to switch the hand you're belaying with, you need to unclip the device and flip it around... :? ...not on the end of my rope.

mrme

Jan 19, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #20 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ever trie to escape a belley with the binner hooked to the harness and not the belay loop(besides its backed up by the rope anyway). and yes i love the reverso such a great atc for bring up the secound just clip it straight to the power point of the anchor. no hanging people from my waist, or a peice of gear or two to redirect the load of the harness, very easy to escape a belly, and does not kinck the rope like a mutter. less worries.

gonzo

Jan 19, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #21 of 23 (10762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The belay loop IS the strongest part, it is also slightly dynamic (Pulls hard and feel) to reduce the shock to the system. But I like redundency wherever possible so I do the following to all my harnesess.

Buy yourself about 1m of Dyneema tape (I think it's called webbing in the states). Double twist it through the leg and waist loops and tie off with a standard tape know. (Ensure about 4cm threads at the end 4 safety)

This basicly creates a 2 extra loops roughly the same size as ur main belay loop (they are crossed once). So your bones should break before the loop does :)
Dyneema is also slightly dynamic.

The reason I do two loops is that when I sport climb and get to the anchors I can quicly pull out one of the loops and the result is one longer loop 4 clipping in. Very usefull.

Just remember that your rope is still always tied to the two harness loops to reduce abarsion and while some ppl like to clip their biners to those loops, I don't due to the multiple loading on the biner. Rather clip it into my perfectly safe redundent main belay loop. Hope I haven't confused everyone :)

timstich

Jan 20, 2004, 6:46 AM
Post #22 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From tradgirl.com:

At the British Mountaineering Club, Student Club Safety Conference (what a name!) last October this bloke, who is the technical development manager for err Wild Country? Troll? said:

"This keeps on coming up! The belay loop is by far the strongest part of the bloody harness. The rest of the system would fail well before the bloody belay loop ever would. Belay from the bloody belay loop. The clue's in the bloody name."

keazah

Jan 27, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #23 of 23 (10765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for all your answers... I think you're right... I CAN trust my belay loop... and I'm still going to keep using it because I find it to be extremely helpful.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook