Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ponca

Jan 26, 2004, 9:01 PM
Post #26 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Re: What digi camera should I buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just bought the Minolta Dimage Z1. It has 10X optical zoom and 3.1 mp. I bought mine for $350. It does have an option that takes 10 pictures in 1 second. I love it, but it was my first , so...

kriso9tails

Jan 27, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #27 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

re Nikon vs. Canon digital... the only way I'd buy a Cannon digital over Nikon or Fuji (S2 pro is based off of a Nikon body) is if I had invested a lot in Cannon lenses. Having shot on both Cannon and nikon digital slrs I'd really have to reccommend the Nikon ccd over Cannon cmos (seems to create noise in the shadows). Cannon has a more user-friendly interface, but poorer image quality on their more affordable models like the D60 or digital Rebel. Haven't used Fuji super ccd yet, but it is supposed to be the highest quality.

At any rate, I'd look into Nikon, Cannon, or Fuji above anything else if you are at all serious (my only real issue with Cannon is the CMOS, but their digital cameras do have their advantages as well... besides, I use the same technology in my scanner).

Oh yeah,
In reply to:
The D2H raises the bar even further, it has a brand new Nikon designed 4.1 million pixel 'JFET sensor' and is capable of capturing eight frames per second for up to 40 frames (five seconds of continuous shooting at 8 fps). The D2H also adds a whole lot more including a new eleven area AF module (Multi-Cam 2000), 37 ms shutter lag and just 80 ms viewfinder blackout, a new ambient external WB sensor, an orientation sensor, RAW + JPEG format, a huge 2.5" 211,000 pixel LCD monitor, a new lightweight Lithium-Ion battery (with detailed in-camera readout) and USB 2.0. The other 'big news' about the D2H system is the new WT-1 802.11b wireless transmission add-on which allows you to FTP images back to a server as you shoot them*.

* Buffered off the CF card with automatic reconnection on signal drop.

quote from from: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

tenn_dawg

Jan 27, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #28 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aww, kris, they ain't talking about slr's. I figured that out after I typed a long ass reply at the top of the page.

kriso9tails

Jan 27, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #29 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oops... I've never used a digital point and shoot, or P&S SLR hybrid type deal. Benefits of being a photography student I guess. :P

Still, for ultimate in impracticality, I'd go for a phase one back for large and medium format digital.

juanjo

Jan 27, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #30 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel Ti. Perfect for sports shooting

leaverbiner

Jan 27, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #31 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Aww, kris, they ain't talking about slr's. I figured that out after I typed a long ass reply at the top of the page.

Yo Tenn-dawg - I was definitely talking about SLR - digital SLR - and your comments were great. I think I will just have to wait for the old tax return and then hopefully I can throw down the cash to buy the chica a killer digital SLR (maybe then she'll let me have the PS2 back!)

billcoe_

Feb 2, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #32 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Re: What digi camera should I buy- the new Nikon is here! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/

This is it.

Bill

sandbag

Feb 2, 2004, 5:51 AM
Post #33 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Re: What digi camera should I buy- the new Nikon is here! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

buy the best one you can afford to buy, look for a killer used deal or refurb too

lstockett

Feb 3, 2004, 7:48 PM
Post #34 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I want to buy a digital camera soon and was hoping for some people to give me some suggestions. I am pretty into photography, I mainly do b/w and develop myself. I really want a digital SLR but just can't afford it and I am waiting for the new nikon dslr line to come out but i need a digital camera by march for a trip. So here is what I want
-I want a camera wherre I can adjust aperture and shutter speed, hopefully with dials or buttons, not an onscreen menu.
-The more compact the better. but doesnt have to be tiny
-atleast 3.2 Mpixel
-under 500 bucks

I was in the same boat awhile back. I wanted a digital SLR, but just couldn't quit swing it. The Canon S50 is a great compromise. It's sturdy, compact, takes great pictures (for a non-SLR camera), and has excellent battery life. I couldn't be happier with it.

Partner wideguy

Feb 15, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #35 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just bought the Minolta Dimage Z1. It has 10X optical zoom and 3.1 mp. I bought mine for $350. It does have an option that takes 10 pictures in 1 second. I love it, but it was my first , so...

I was looking at this as well. Which batteries are you using and what's their life. i hear it's pretty good. Did you go with the NiMH or just the standard Alkaline AA's?

I love my Minolta Maxxum 7000, any opinions on their digitals?

danielb

Feb 18, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #36 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think my next digital camera will be a Fuji Finpix S500, fixed zoom but manual controls, 3MP and its still compact:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalS5000Overview.jsp?item=I616756&dbid=616756&urltype=overview

If I had extra cash I would consider the S700, with even more controls to play with and 6+ MP:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/digitalS7000Overview.jsp?item=I616757&dbid=616757&urltype=overview&NavBarId=I616757

Can I just say that camera are so cheap over here, you pay like $999 for a digital SLR where we would pay ฃ999 ($1898!) in the uk!

DanielB

drkodos

Feb 25, 2004, 7:56 AM
Post #37 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, the future of the medium lies in monitor presentations, and not printed media. I don't care one bit how well the images will print, but only care how they look as a light source.

In that respect, I find that the smallest, most manueverable, fastest loading and writing camera is the one I want to purchase. The shutter timing (not shutter speed) is important, as well as reset time at larger pixel sizes.

Burst seems to be the latest buzz, but like motor winds, the true artiste senses the moment, and usually does not rely on chance and rapid fire tactics to capture the exposure and image envisioned.

I am gravitating toward the

http://www.sonystyle.com/...ts/250x250/DSCT1.jpg

DSC-T1 Cyber-shotฎ Digital Camera

Like a marriage: If anyone has reason why I should not purchase this, I would love to hear it.

Likewise, if anyone has some nice things to say, that would be appreciated as well.

easyclimber

Feb 25, 2004, 8:12 AM
Post #38 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want small look at any casio exilim camera. i have a S2 it is only 2 mega pixles but it was the right price. i love it. but if you want over 3 mega pixils then it will cost more. here is a link http://exilim.casio.com/

warloc

Feb 25, 2004, 8:51 AM
Post #39 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Canon digital Ixus 4
It's really amazing, very very little (you can put it in a cigarettes pack). It has 4 Megapixels, and, as always, the fantastic Canon optical. For the batteries it uses an ion-lithium one. And it also makes vids (up to 5 minutes with my 128Mb target, it depends on the size of it. I think it was nearly 2 minutes with the 16Mb one). I bought it for 360€, don't know the price it might have in the USA. Take a look at it, It's a very interesting option. :wink:

drkodos

Feb 26, 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #40 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up going with:

http://www.dpreview.com/.../dscv1-angle-001.jpg
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1

They just came down in price because of they are abandoning memory stick format, but since I direct load, memory stick is not an issue. They are now available for under $500.00 for the first time. I went mainstream, Big Box, instead of my usual gray market apporach.

For all those digital photographers who spend time on web sites or with magazines obsessing about the trade off between features and pocketability, Sony is introducing the Cyber-shotฎ DSC-V1 digital still camera.

"A signature of Sony design is an ergonomically comfortable device small enough to become part of everyday personal gear, but powerful enough to satisfy sophisticated needs," said Steve Haber, senior vice president for Sony Electronic's Digital Imaging Products Division. "The Cyber-shot V1 camera is just this combination."

Barely larger than a deck and a half of cards, the Cyber-shot V1 camera will offer a 5-megapixel imager and a Carl Zeissฎ Vario-Sonnarฎ lens with 4x optical zoom sharpness and color accuracy. It will also feature a hot shoe and accessory terminal. Plus, there are several Sony-only features, including a rechargeable Infolithiumฎ battery system, with to-the-minute awareness of remaining battery life, along with Nightshotฎ and NightFraming features for taking crisp pictures in no or low-light conditions.

Let the User Experiment

This model was built for a special class of photographer who wants ultimate control over the picture-taking process, but who also wants the option to call upon automatic features to help balance light and exposure. Among the features that will appeal to the purist are:

Manual Exposure Controls: Flexible exposure control is provided with aperture priority, shutter priority and manual exposure modes for better command over motion and depth of field.

Program-Shift Dial: Situated next to the LCD for easy access, this dial allows the user to select from a range of available combinations of aperture and shutter settings for control over motion and depth of field while remaining in an automatic exposure mode.

Five-area Multi-Point Auto Focus: The camera evaluates five separate areas of the frame and intelligently focuses on the subject, displaying the selected focus point, or the user can choose any of the five points for manual control.

Hologram AF™ Illuminator: Projects a laser pattern on the subject to create contrast for precise focus, even in low or no light.

Multi-Pattern Measuring: Independently meters the light in 49 points of the frame to establish the optimum exposure, even when highlight and shadow aren't centered in the frame.

Auto Fill Flash: When the subject is backlit or in shadow, the fill flash automatically fires to provide optimum exposure.

NightShot Infrared System: Captures infrared images in total darkness at a distance of up to 15 feet.

NightFraming System: To capture crisp images in low or no light, this feature illuminates the subject with the NightShot system for proper framing, focuses with Hologram AF illuminator and lights the scene with the appropriate amount of flash.

Street price US: $700
Sensor • 1/1.8" CCD
• RGB Color Filter Array
• 5.24 million pixels total
Effective pixel count 5.0 million
Image sizes • 2592 x 1944
• 2592 x 1728 (3:2)
• 2048 x 1536
• 1280 x 960
• 640 x 480
Movie clips • 640 x 480, 16 fps, media limit only
• 160 x 112, 8 fps, media limit only
* All with audio
File formats • Still: TIFF, JPEG (EXIF 2.2) Fine / Standard
• Movie: MPEG 1
Lens • 4x optical zoom 'Carl Zeiss' lens
• 34 - 136 mm equiv.
• F2.8 - F4.0
• 8 elements in 7 groups
Filter thread 52 mm with adapter
Digital zoom * Up to 4.0x (VGA)
Focus • 5 area Multi-Point AF
• Selectable AF point
• Manual focus (13 positions)
• Hologram AF assist beam
• Continuous AF
Focus range • Normal: 40 cm (1.3 ft) - Infinity
• Macro: 10 - 40 cm (3.9 - 15.7 in)
Manual exposure • Program AE (with program shift)
• Aperture Priority AE
• Shutter Priority AE
• Manual
Metering • Multi-Pattern (49 segment)
• Center weighted average
• Spot
Exposure compen. +/-2.0 EV in 0.3 EV steps
Sensitivity • Auto
• ISO 100
• ISO 200
• ISO 400
• ISO 800
Shutter • Auto: 1/8 - 1/2000 sec
• Manual: 30 - 1/1000 sec
White balance • Auto
• Daylight
• Cloudy
• Fluorescent
• Incandescent
• Flash
• Manual
Picture effects • Black & White
• Solarize
• Sepia
• Negative Art
Night shot Yes, uses Infrared lamp illumination
Night framing Yes, uses Infrared lamp illumination for focusing
Noise reduction • Clear Color
• Clear Luminance
• Slow Shutter
Image adjustments • Sharpness
• Color saturation
• Tone
Viewfinder Optical
LCD monitor • 1.5" TFT LCD
• 123,000 pixels
Live histogram Yes
Flash • Pop-up
• Modes: Auto, On, Off, Slow
• Red-Eye Reduction: On, Off
• Range: 0.5 - 3.5 m (1.6 - 11.5 ft)
• External flash via Hot-shoe / ACC terminal

Scene modes • Twilight
• Twilight Portrait
• Landscape
• Beach
• Snow
• Fireworks
• Fast Shutter
Drive modes • Single
• Burst (3 shot)
• Multi-burst (16, 320x240 images)
• Clip motion (GIF)
• Auto AE bracketing
• Self-timer 10 seconds
Connectivity • USB 2.0 (inc PTP)
• A/V out
Storage • Memory Stick / Select / Pro *
• 32 MB Memory Stick supplied
* No support for high speed transfer / access control function
Power • Lithium-Ion InfoLithium NP-FC11
• Supplied AC adapter / charger
Dimensions 99 x 65 x 57 mm (3.9 x 2.6 x 2.2 in)
Weight (inc batt) 298 g (10.5 oz)

I will gladly show my results starting with this coming weekend's trip to Joshua Tree.

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 5, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #41 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I too have a Z1 and am totally satisfied with it. It has great shutter speed, large internal buffer (put it on continuous and it just keeps snapping photo after photo), great color and it's light and being a SLR style is easy to grip.

I found mine for 280 + 15 shipping. Oh, and that 10X optical - it's amazing having a built in optical zoom that strong - like having a telephoto lense on the sucker but still being light weight.

One add on I did buy for it is the adapter to step up to 52mm lenses to let me use polarized filters (reduce hazing in bright outside shots).

I'm not a experienced photographer but it's got all of the manual settings I would want if I knew more about it.

Regardless of what digital camera you buy, you'll need two things - higher end rechargable batteries and a big memory card (if not two). Tripods will help you a lot as well.

By the way, check out:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

the_alpine

Mar 5, 2004, 6:16 AM
Post #42 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikon is coming out with their answer to Cannons low cost Rebel DSLR, the D70. It's supposed to be a sweet body, comparable (some say better) to the D100. Check out this link:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...rgeimages/315793.jpg

mountainchick82

Mar 5, 2004, 7:01 AM
Post #43 of 43 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nikon 3100 or 4100 :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook