Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Conditions Report from Hidden Rocks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Feb 1, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Conditions Report from Hidden Rocks  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: North_Western: Hidden_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In a word: Perfect

A four-inch snow base with a semi-iced top layer made for good traction, and there was no competition for parking at all, as I backed into the trailhead lot and shouldered my daypack. Fifteen minutes' worth of hiking put me on the old Jeep road, and the few footprints I saw soon vanished at the main climbing area. I trudged on and half an hour later, I was spreading out my gear on Hidden Hilltop.

Temps in the lower 30s were offset by an absence of winds and the crags' generally SW exposure as I kicked aside crystalline snow under the Flying Circus Traverse and roof, as well as some of the other nearby problems, before shedding my boots and stretching out.

The stone on the Hilltop is generally bulletproof quartzite, and the texture is both positive and user-friendly. It didn't take long to get lost in the fun, again.

Bouldered and enjoyed the complete solitude for about three hours, before the sinking sun and sudden drop in temps signalled a good end to the day. I wandered off the brow of the hill and chased a hunch west and north to find a much easier descent that only added about ten minutes to the hike out.

Got to the car in time to enjoy some killer sunset colors, dodging redneck 4x4s and black ice on the way home.

roninthorne

Sep 3, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1924 views)
Shortcut

Re: Conditions Report from Hidden Rocks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And now, the summertime version-

Perfect- bring bug repellant and plenty of liquids, and maybe a pair of clippers for the greenbriars. Work is progressing on a new trail to Hidden Hilltop which will, hopefully, complete a loop up the creek then ascending the lefthand ridge to the boulders, and following the ridge back down to rejoin the original trail.

A note to any prospective campers- please be careful with your fire- believe it or not, the ridges are very dry and seasonal winds can drive up a pretty mean burn. If you must build a fire, please destroy the fire ring when you leave, and PLEASE make a real effort to look for any trash you might have dropped. Just because the hunters and 4-wheelers don't care what they leave behind is no reason for me to find tape balls, rope labels, sale tags, or PowRBar wrappers along the trail or base.

The strength of our position comes from our ability to point to differences in our approach to and use of the forest and its resources. Hold the line. Thanks.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook