RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

aerotherm

Feb 3, 2004, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 1 (917 views)
Shortcut

holiday climbing in South India
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

:D
Hi, I am aerotherm,
recently, I took an off from work and hectic schedule. I headed to my home 700 miles south India, Bangalore. All I was longing was climbing , climbing and climbing.

Just on day one of my holiday, I had been to 'New rocks' a small location of boulders just a few miles away from my home. It was thursday afternoon and me and my brother and my climbing mate and teacher shyam.

We started off with some old routes and kept practising them again and again. We were getting ready for some superb climbing at KOLAR, the district of Kolar is known for some amazing boulders. They are countless in numbers. It is a climber's paradise. I often wonder if climbing could
be daily work and office be on sundays. It would be great if you are paid for climbing and take an off and go to work.

Kolar Was a great climb. We started from the base of the hillock and the approach march was about an hour and half. WE HIT UPON A CHIMNEY AT A VILLAGE CALLED KENDATTI (CODED AS KENTUCKY). This chimney is about 35 feet high and enough for an athlete to pass through. Taking a belay from top from my bother, i descended the chimney from the descent route and started the climb. (WE do not have much gear, only a 50m long rope. a pair of climbing shoe, chalk and a bowline knot around out waist. Belay given by the other climber from top.) The chimney was one of the best i had climbed. The chimney though about 3 feet wide at the bottom opened upto 8 feet on the top. So chimney climbing almost full and then splitting the legs on either rock as the chimney opens out and shifting the whole body on one rock and completing the climb.

A few more touch routes on the boulders satisfied us for the day. We opened one hell of a boulder route, a shear 90 rock about 16 feet high amidst other boulders with minute pinch holds. Those finger tendons really ached during the climb.

The other climbing was at a place called turalli, a huge deposition of boulders with varying difficulty levels. A few overhangs, clean shaven bastards CSB,, thats what we call a face with no holds except for some pinches and greater climbing. These boulders were about 30 feet high, :::: a climbers practical manual for temperment, balance and the will to hold on and complete the route.

Atlast,,, I had bought a pair of Jumars, ascencions from my friend from germany. We tried the ascensions on a face and practiced the knots and rigging up stuff.

Now I am back to work and hope to climb more and more everyday.
Thats all folks.. keep me posted.
Happy climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook