Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

climbobsessoin

Feb 4, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #1 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

To all young climbers.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone here have a problem with not being able to climb because there grades slipped and they got grounded?
If so what did you do?

grinspoon

Feb 4, 2004, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Re: To all young climbers. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:) Just climb out your window

Partner holdplease2

Feb 4, 2004, 2:47 AM
Post #3 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, but as an "adult" climber I have a similar problem.

When I climb too much and ignore my responsibities to keep my business up and running, there are consequences. Like my income going away. I have to "ground myself" and not climb so that my life responsibilites come back into focus.

Parents grounding you is kind of the same thing. School is your responsibility, like work is mine. The consequences can be not-so-good if we get short sighted and slack off.

Just fix the grades fast, it will get you back on the rock all the faster, right? Weasel a hangboard if you can and hang it in your room to stay strong, or just use your doorjam.

Importantly, try to keep "climbing" from becoming a point of conflict or "red flag" between you and your parents...use some other activity as a "grounding decoy." Pretend to like TV so that they ground you from that, instead of climbing next time.

Good luck with your situation!

-Kate.

Partner baja_java

Feb 4, 2004, 2:57 AM
Post #4 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i started cheating. i felt like a loser at first, but a total winner once i got good at it. it's just so easy. was so stupid not doing it sooner. anyway, at first i just looked over at other people during the tests, but those snobs got better fast at covering up with their hands. then i snuck in slips of cheat sheets that i'd sit on, and whenever i needed an answer, i'd just open my legs and down between my thighs on the chair would be the answers. teachers are so dumb. they never caught on. parents are clueless too. they didn't care how much i love to climb. it's all about the rock, you know. anyway, because i didn't have to study anymore, i have all the time to climb and hang out with the cool guys and hot chicks at the crags. who needs school anyway. i'm gonna onsight 5.15's and make millions from all the sponsors. man, that's the life

wildduck

Feb 4, 2004, 3:07 AM
Post #5 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone has these problems.

My exam's not far away, i'm still climbing up and occasionally see my grades falling down... it's like this.... know your time for fun and your time to learn.

I climb only on weekends. The rest is for school. If i have a week off, i'll climb like mad coz i won't be able to climb for a long time at least until my exam is over. I stop climbing in Feb to concentrate on my Finals.. A lot of my friends do that.

dawnawanna

Feb 4, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #6 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i
In reply to:
started cheating. i felt like a loser at first, but a total winner once i got good at it. it's just so easy. was so stupid not doing it sooner. anyway, at first i just looked over at other people during the tests, but those snobs got better fast at covering up with their hands. then i snuck in slips of cheat sheets that i'd sit on, and whenever i needed an answer, i'd just open my legs and down between my thighs on the chair would be the answers. teachers are so dumb. they never caught on. parents are clueless too. they didn't care how much i love to climb. it's all about the rock, you know. anyway, because i didn't have to study anymore, i have all the time to climb and hang out with the cool guys and hot chicks at the crags. who needs school anyway. i'm gonna onsight 5.15's and make millions from all the sponsors. man, that's the life

Please tell me that you're kidding. What a great plan for life.

Partner baja_java

Feb 4, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #7 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Please tell me that you're kidding. What a great plan for life.

what? what don't you like? and what's so great about yours?

moeman

Feb 4, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #8 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i started cheating. i felt like a loser at first, but a total winner once i got good at it. it's just so easy. was so stupid not doing it sooner. anyway, at first i just looked over at other people during the tests, but those snobs got better fast at covering up with their hands. then i snuck in slips of cheat sheets that i'd sit on, and whenever i needed an answer, i'd just open my legs and down between my thighs on the chair would be the answers. teachers are so dumb. they never caught on. parents are clueless too. they didn't care how much i love to climb. it's all about the rock, you know. anyway, because i didn't have to study anymore, i have all the time to climb and hang out with the cool guys and hot chicks at the crags. who needs school anyway. i'm gonna onsight 5.15's and make millions from all the sponsors. man, that's the life

I hope you enjoy waiting in lines...

Lines at soup kitchens, welfare offices, etc.

aznrockclimber82

Feb 4, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #9 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking he was...but if he isn't that's MAD funny.
HAHAHA :lol:

anyways, who cares right? everyone get's by somehow....just some of us never make it to the finish line...hehe

climbthemiz

Feb 4, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #10 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

work harder :)

graysondamondamian

Feb 4, 2004, 3:52 AM
Post #11 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just got grounded and missed a trip to the obed because spanish just isnt my thing :cry:

Partner baja_java

Feb 4, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #12 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just got grounded and missed a trip to the obed because spanish just isnt my thing :cry:

great, thanks for that! now i'm too bummed feeling for you to keep this up. damn those cryly faces

look, doesn't matter if spanish is your thing. at this stage, it's about learning to get things done. rest assured in any job there'll be things you won't look forward to doing, something that's not your thing. but still, can you get the job done? get that A. get that knowledge. get the project or account completed by next week. whatever. nothing like a sheltered environment like school to hone these skills, kinda like working your moves in the climbing gym. well, possibly what grades might also mean anyway

------------------------------------
edited to make people think i never ever make a typo, and my thoughts are always coherent and precise

scubasnyder

Feb 4, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #13 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

intresting topic, whatever makes you happy

cjstudent

Feb 4, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #14 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You must be joking. How old are you, didn't try that in college i don't guess? Don't take this non-sense advice. It will get you nowhere, and if anything take away even more of your climbing time while you are in detention (or whatever they do) and later in life when you are suffering.

nagatana

Feb 4, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #15 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

His latest post should be a hint.

keazah

Feb 4, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #16 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only climb on weekends and my parents usually make up several "chores" I must complete before leaving home... so I must wake up extremely early in order to finish them and still have time to go climbing... It's a bit hard... but it's worthed!

moabbeth

Feb 4, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #17 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I only climb on weekends and my parents usually make up several "chores" I must complete before leaving home... so I must wake up extremely early in order to finish them and still have time to go climbing... It's a bit hard... but it's worthed!

Now THIS is a great attitude :) . As well as a great outlook. Having discipline and responsibility in your life away from the rock will only make you better when you're actually on the rock.

wallwombat

Feb 4, 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #18 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No, but as an "adult" climber I have a similar problem.

When I climb too much and ignore my responsibities to keep my business up and running, there are consequences. Like my income going away. I have to "ground myself" and not climb so that my life responsibilites come back into focus.

I never get a chance to "ground myself"; my wife does it for me. I do know what you mean, though. Believe me.

The Wedded-wombat

climbobsessoin

Feb 4, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #19 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks all, that was some much needed motivation

Partner hosh

Feb 4, 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #20 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find an older climber who's willing to tutor you. That way, you'll have good grades AND you'll be able to climb!

aznrockclimber82

Feb 4, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #21 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just tell your rent's that climbing is a good skill for school....climbing up the grade scale....climbing up the popularity level....climbing up the teachers arses....wahahaha

Gecko's Rule

climbhigh2005

Feb 4, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #22 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:) Just climb out your window
good answer

fingerjam

Feb 12, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #23 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best part is when your school tries to suspend you for climbing onto the roof. And yes, true story. The route was the sickest thing I could find on the school. Unfortinally, they didnt think it was cool when I was chilling out on the roof.

psyche

Feb 12, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #24 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been grounded from grades...but never grounded from climbing. since my dad is a fanatic climber himself, he would never take that away from me, especially since it would fuck up training when it's comp season. i get unimportant stuff like phone, internet, weekends taken away from me. i live through it. i don't get grounded anymore...but throughout it all, i've realized that it's so much better to be stable and constant, rather than living a roller coaster. (umm i'm not saying i've lived up to this yet by the way...) :shock:

yaki

Feb 12, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #25 of 81 (10282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

use yoru desire to climb as an inspiration in other areas of life

if you want any beefits or rewards out of life
including climbing..
you have to work for it

just like you have to train to climb well
you have to get your school work done.. and done well
to get on the wall

work hard
and prove you are working hard
and I bet your parents would be happy to let you climb

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All