RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stefanohatari

Feb 4, 2004, 3:00 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Black Hills weather late March?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My trip to JTree March 22-26 is off. :( What's the weather like in the Black Hills at that time? Better than SE Minnesota? Anybody else gonna be out there at that time?

renobdarb

Feb 4, 2004, 3:38 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black Hills weather late March? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At that time the Hills can be dry or have three feet of snow... in a typical year March sees probably the most snowfall out of the season, but it's pretty inconsistant and hard to generalize... but the good news is, if it's sunny and warm, there's always a place to climb, even if there's snow on the ground...

The higher elevations, around the Needles and Rushmore, are cooler than Rapid City or Spearfish... I would recommend Spearfish Canyon, especially the Sunshine Wall... it's great climbing and sees a lot of sun, even in the winter months... I climbed there on New Year's Day and it was beautiful... there's a new guidebook out there that's really user friendly

if it's really warm, you may be able to climb a little around Rushmore... however, i wouldn't make your plans around that area in March...

I'm in the Hills every weekend it's warm enough to climb... give me a PM if you need more beta or a partner... i may be able to meet you somewhere...

hope this helps,

cheers,
brad

stefanohatari

Feb 4, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Re: Black Hills weather late March? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Spearfish is my best bet within a (long) day's drive. If you are climbing out there in mid-late March, let me know, and I'll join you. I would even consider a long drive for a long week-end between now and then. However, I just started climbing last summer, indoors, have spent a few days toprope climbing at JTree (up to 5.10), and a few days at the local crag. I'm headed towards trad and Alpine climbing (I hope), but really just love to climb and be outdoors! I'm old (45) but still have enough teeth to chomp down on that rope.

Thanks again.

Steve

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook