Premier Sponsor:

to-mas
Deleted

Feb 9, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #1 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

How to learn to build TR anchors?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am realitively new the sport (climbing last few months indoors/ climber outdoors a couple of times) and I am interested in learning how to set up TR anchors. I just got John Long's book on Rock Climbing and have some friends I've met at the gym who are competent climbers who hae invited me to climb with them outdoors in the spring. My question is should I take a course to learn how to build anchors safely or is it sufficient to do some reading on it and go with my friends learn from them? Would a class be much more indepth/safer?

If you think class and you know a good group in the DC/VA/MD area to take a course with, please let me know.

Thanks,

Thomas

vertical_reality

Feb 9, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to learn to build TR anchors? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sportrock offers a great toprope anchor class, you should check them out. When I started climbing I read everything I could too, and I got John Long's book on toprope anchors and even went out a few times with friends... but I learnt more in the class then anything the books can try to teach you. If you really want to climb, take the time to learn it.

brittamac

Feb 9, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #3 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thomas, if you are still deciding if this is a sport you want to really get into - I'd recommend taking a couple day class to learn the ins and outs, particularly with regard to learning to set up your own anchors, and especially before you start buying equipment. Check out

http://www.seneca-rocks.com/school.html

nicklikesfire

Feb 9, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learning from a book, then climbing with people who know what they are doing, and having them give you additional help, corrections, or techniques is a fine way to learn. Just be careful, use common sense, and dont climb on your own untill you know what your doing.

scubasnyder

Feb 9, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learn from people i would say, i learned a lot of things on my own after starting to trad climb, i can make a TR anchor basically anywhere.

yay_chris

Feb 9, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I taught myself from a book called A Trailside Guide to Rock Climbing. A really good book. I didn't just go out onto high rock and test it out though. I practiced from trees in my yard, and on some smaller heights first.

After I had the basics down, I went out with a knowledgable climber and he double checked that I did everything satisfactory.

I really don't think a course is necessary as long as you climb with someone who can ensure you are being safe at the beginning stages.

kman

Feb 9, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be carefull who you learn and climb with. I have climbed with alot of people who have said they knew more than they did, and it turned out they were just plain unsafe. It doesn't hurt to take a course. If you go out with people who know what they are doing, and decide not to take a course, then read up on as much info as you can find. At least that way you might recognize if the people are being unsafe or not. If you are not sure of something then question it!!

furryfrisbee

Feb 9, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Learn from people i would say, i learned a lot of things on my own after starting to trad climb, i can make a TR anchor basically anywhere.

And don't be afraid to ask why they do something the way they do. If you're not comfortable with the setup, ask why they set it up the way they did. Ask for another backup if you're still not comfortable. If they are your friends they will understand your concerns, and work with you to raise your comfort level. Don't climb if you don't like the setup, in the end it is your life on the line.

to-mas
Deleted

Feb 9, 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So if I was to take a class, can anyone in the DC/MD/VA area suggest the best place to take it? Sportrock? Earthtreks? Adventurequest?

billcoe_

Feb 11, 2004, 4:26 AM
Post #10 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To-mas: the level of advise above is spot on the money. Having a quality person to follow or a class can really compliment a book and is the only way to learn rockclimbing safetly IMO.

dookie

Feb 11, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2203 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to-mas -
all three of those you mentioned are reputable in the DC area, so I would go with any of them, really. Earthtreks has guides who lead trips all over the world, and so I would tend to say experience is on their side.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook