RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

crazygirl

Feb 20, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 4 (600 views)
Shortcut

Random thoughts of the day
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I started thinking about this after reading some of the posts in here. Women tend to be overly competitive. I know what you all are gonna say: but, I’m only in competition with myself, what’s wrong with that?
I’m sure you all heard these words floating around: climbing is about having fun. What does that really mean? It means different things to different people, for some it means climbing hard, for some, maybe climbing as many routes as possible, maybe for some it’s the social aspect. For me, it means, its ok to sing off key in a foreign language while climbing. Climbing is about partnership, and having fun, not about number chasing or spray. Not about acting like you are better than someone else. It’s also about sharing your experience, not ‘showing off’. It means, don’t be condescending to newbie, just because you just sent your first 5.10. (you never know, that newbie may kick your ass in a few months). Be aware of your surroundings; don’t step on someone’s rope, or someone’s toes. It also means, that if you see someone gearing up do a climb, don’t try to jump in front of them. That’s when assertion stops being assertion and becomes bitchiness. Don’t be an idol worshiper. Just climb for yourself. Sorry for rambling on, I’m not as good of a writer as some people on this site.

iamnotender

Feb 20, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #2 of 4 (600 views)
Shortcut

Re: Random thoughts of the day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amen! oh and i heard this from one of my teachers: your rights extend to the tip of your nose. of course, im a newb myself (been climbing about 4 1/2 months... have yet to get outside), so i always appreciate it when people give me beta (when theyre asked!) or encourage me instead of sighing loudly when i take up *their* valuable climbing time.

litleclimberchick

Feb 20, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #3 of 4 (600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm...thanks for opening my eyes...

okay seriously, i agree with your rambling. climbing shouldn't be about being the best, or showing off, and people like chris sharma and lisa rands should not be idolized. people should climb for the sake of climbing, because it makes them feel good and no other reason. :)

climbingurlie

Feb 21, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #4 of 4 (600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally agree with you. I tend to climb with a ton of guys since I'm one of the few girls (and the most experienced) in my group. A lot of the time, I'm pressured by the guys, and since I've started reading posts on this site, I've really realized that I climb for myself, and not for anyone else, or to show off. I feel that since I've realized that, I've been more comfortable with climbing and I realize that I climb to get out and do something with myself, to get out and see nature's beauty, and be with friends.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook