RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

mtnchik

Feb 28, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #1 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

women's specific vs. regular
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so this is my first post...if it sucks, i'm sorry. :D anyway my question is about shoes. I am looking to buy a pair of rock shoes and don't know whether I should go for a women's specific pair of shoes, like the sapphires, or a pair of regular shoes like the anasazi velcros. i guess i want to know more specifically whether there is any advantage to buying a women's shoe vs. a regular shoe. Thanks in advanced for advice offered.

genevieve

Feb 28, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #2 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Re: women's specific vs. regular [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all about how you feel wearing it.

Go at your local shop, try some on, and see how you feel. ;-)

moabbeth

Feb 28, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, what she said. The ONLY way you will find out is trying them on for yourself. For some girls, the women's Mythos fit better....for other girls their feet work better in the standard unisex purple Mythos. Just hit the local climbing shop and start slipping on various brands and styles and you'll know when you've found the perfect pair.

mtnchik

Feb 29, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #4 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the advice!

rock_diva

Mar 1, 2004, 3:18 PM
Post #5 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried on some Evolv shoes last week (they had a demo at the gym) and climbed in two different pairs of women's specific climbing shoes. I asked the rep what made the women's shoes different. He said they are generally a lighter shoe, more narrow, and have less volume in the toe and heel for a better fit.

I like climbing in Anasazi velcros, and the Evolv Athenas (women specific) were comparable, but fit better in the toe and are less expensive. They seem to size the same. GREAT edging; also, the rubber in the arches is such that when you pull the velcro tight, it really forms well to the arch of your foot. Oh, and they're synthetic/vegan friendly.

I sound like a shoe salesman :) but really, I just loved climbing in them and am ordering my own pair. Their website is www.evolvsports.com if you want to check them out.

ecocliffchick

Mar 1, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #6 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree about trying on many different types of shoes - but also try on many different pairs of the same type of shoes - even of the same size of shoes. I find that either the quality control is lacking in climbing shoes or the super snug fit of rock shoes makes exact sizing essential - because some shoes fit beautifully and others create horrible tight spots or pinches even when they are supposedly the same size and the same brand!

On a related note...
Has anyone else noticed a distinct difference in the quality of the Anasazi Velcros over the past couple of years?

jay_climbingchick

Apr 1, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #7 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb with both. I would say try on some women specific then diside. I do like the Mythos W.S. though.

katydid

Apr 1, 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #8 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Women's shoes are cut narrower in the footbox and heel and lower in the Achilles' tendon. If you have Achilles' problems or narrow feet, women's shoes may be a good option for you (this goes for guys, too).

In my experience, I've found that I can wear most women's shoes, and only one kind of men's shoes (La Sportiva Testarossa). Some women do fine in men's shoes and wear nothing but. My current shoes that fit me well are a pair of worn-out 5.10 Sapphires (all-day easy trad shoes -- wore out after 3 months), a pair of La Sportiva Women's Mythos (all-around shoe -- looooove 'em) and a pair of Testarossas (aggressive shoe -- take 'em off as soon as I step off the rock, but love them too). I've got another pair of shoes, too, but they don't fit my narrow feet well, so I don't wear 'em. (Gads, I'm turning into a shoe whore. :shock:)

So to beat a dead horse, try on bunches of shoes and find out what works best for you.

k.

valerie

Apr 7, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #9 of 9 (931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not wanting to bang on about this point but it really is how they fit. Mind, I find that Sapphire's are pretty much all I can get my foot into. I have odd shaped feet. They are a great shoe. Even some of my guy friends have tried them on after wearing Anasazis and Red Chilli Phantoms and loved them. Anasazis are great if you can wear them but I'm left with loads of space at the heel and my toes curled right under. There is no way I could climb in them

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook