Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guide for Brac, Croatia?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alex_hutch

Mar 3, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #1 of 9 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Guide for Brac, Croatia?  (Europe: Croatia: Dalmatia: Brac)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm visiting Brac later this year, and was wondering whether anyone could point me in the direction of a guide or topo or anything like that for the routes on the island?
Cheers!

overlord

Mar 3, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #2 of 9 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Re: Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think Boris Cujic made a guidebook for the whole croatia (except paklenica, wich has its own guidebook), but i dont know if brac is in there. youd bes check a good bookstore once you get to croatia.

tinica

Apr 7, 2009, 2:06 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you will likely get there via Split, you can find these guides at iglusport - a great shop with trusted experts.

mezzner

Jun 10, 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tinica] Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also going to Brac rather soon and will bring a rope and some QD:s.
As I understand, there is a few crags with short routes, and maybe the guidebook for Croatia is a bit overkill.

I have not found a lot but below there is a link and I also found some more, showing the grades and number of routes on each crag. Can't find that link right now...

http://www.climb-europe.com/croatia/split.htm

EDIT: Here's the other one: http://www.aldura-sport.hr/climbing_brac/

(This post was edited by mezzner on Jun 10, 2012, 10:49 AM)

tinica

Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4304 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mezzner] Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are so many climbing and DWS spots in Croatia, no guidebook could be considered "overkill". On Brač alone, there are climbs I never would have found without the guide; the famous arch called Kolač is in the middle of the island in a remote spot near a village called Nerežišče, and it's not like there are signs pointing the way. Even with the guidebook it was an effort to get there, but once I got to the village, I could at least point to pictures. And I speak Croatian! It's a country where one can still find villages with no foreign-language speakers. I definitely recommend a visit to Iglusport in Split before heading out to the island. They are wonderfully helpful. And knowledgeable.

mezzner

Jun 11, 2012, 6:15 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tinica] Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, what I meant was that if you are going to a small island, it may be overkill to buy the guidebook showing so much places that you never will have the opportunity to visit. Certainly you can go there later, but thats a different story.

What I really wonder is if there is a lot more climbing on Brac, than the places I found around Lozisca?

danicro

Jun 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Brac is cool but not very representative as a rock climbing destination.
If you need some topos for this area, I can scan from Croatia guidebook and send you.

mezzner

Jul 3, 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #8 of 9 (4074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [danicro] Guide for Brac, Croatia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, last week was spent on Brac.
I brought the sport rack, and went to some crags.

As a matter of fact it was more than 30 degrees every day, so it was not perfect conditions. I went to the area around Lozisca, which actually was the only area with established routes. It was only single pitch, and rather short pitches. But there was a rather wide variety of difficulties, and both slab and overhanging walls.

The crags are bolted and maintained of the people from Aldura Sport in Sutivan. One evening we rented two bikes and biked 5 km to the climbing area. But in the warmth, biking was not a very good idea, since the road was rather... uphill. we got to "Kurba" and arrived at the same time as some local youngsters. We only climbed three routes - together with the locals, and then it was time to go home in the dusk.

Another day we took a taxi and went off at 6 a.m. and had a few hours at a crag in the shadow, it was shadow until 1 p.m. but the warmth and the number of routes made us call the taxi before noon.

There was also some crags we never visited, but it was mainly because of the temperature, I think there was at least two more places that would have been worth visiting.

Brac is not a climbing resort, but if you go there, it is perfectlty possible to spend one or two days sportclimbing. (Thanks Aldura!)

We also went to Zlatni Rat and saw the Vidova Gora summits. I think there may have been some spectacular climbing, even multipitch in that area, but today nothing is bolted, and the people at Aldura Sport thougt it was difficult to place your own pro.

If there would be some routes around Vidova Gora, I think that the Island may be worth a visit for the climbing, although there are also climbing in the area around Split, Omis and on Hvar.

danicro

Jul 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am glad you did have some nice time. It is extremly hot here in Croatia for the last 30 days, as hot as it gets in the middle of July, so it wasn't so great for rock climbing, but most of locals are practising deep water soloing - great and refreshing climbing discipline!

(This post was edited by danicro on Jul 3, 2012, 12:00 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook