First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

vertical-rockrat
Deleted

Mar 2, 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #26 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing and Videography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Philbox - sorry man i was looking at the critque forum when i posted last. And i replyed to this right after you marked it and it was still in General. Anyways can i ask for some Experts information now?????

Break down a Camera (Video) for me Digital mainly. Tell me what each thing i should look at is and in what order they are important for quality. IE a digital still you go by Megapixel, then Optical Zoom, in my opinion. I have seen some information here and there but don't exactly understand it like i think one term was PAL i have no idea what it is compared to other things mentioned. Can someone provide a clean upfront post on the diffrent things we need to look for. Also as i look thru some cameras in mags i do not see mega pixel on the digital ones, so what do i look for then? Yes im a NOOB who wants to get all the knowledge i can on this.

Also for a PC user with a mediocre system (1 gig duron, 128 mb ATI pro9000 video, and upgrading to at least 512 ram) what options do i have for taking my now analog video and putting it on my pc? As in best piece to look at. And for future use should i look at a Firewire input, or a USB2 input on a new camera? Or will sticking with older stuff work? Im new help me out and i bet it will help others to. And if you have sights with good info on shooting, production, how to's, prices for equipment ect, pllease drop me a PM unless the mods dont mind them posted here for all?!

Thanks and sorry to ask for so much i hope i made it sound ok so you can offer the assistance i need.

zozo

Mar 2, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #27 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The best thing about final cut is the lower cost (from avid) and the Live type options make animated lower thirds and titles really easy and cool. I use it for lower budget productions (kinda feel like I'm cheating) I use After effects for the higher budget stuff.

I hear the color correction tools and the compositing you can do inside Final Cut are making some After Effects users switch over. Ive never used Final Cut but I have a hard time thinking it could be a better NLE and be a better compositor than After Effects. Flying text is one one, but.......... :roll:

Viva La After Effects!!!

It took me 4 years to learn After Effects well.

todddarling

Mar 2, 2004, 2:26 PM
Post #28 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Color Correction I's agree with, but I still use After effects for most compositing and graphic or effects work I use Final cut for my editing and final output. I also use combustion for color correcting and some effects. but, I like the way after effects handles text, and I'm use to the interface. Had the opportunity to learn shake and love it but the company I work for hasn't bought it yet and I don't feel like spending $5000 on software. IT's awesome for compositiing work!

Todd

zozo

Mar 2, 2004, 2:38 PM
Post #29 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive never heard of Shake. Who makes it? My brother used to to work for Media 100 - I say used to because its going out of business. They sank EVERYTHING they had into this high def system when everyone else was going DV Xpress and Final Cut.. Its kinda sad, Media 100 was the first system I ever learned on.

zozo

Mar 2, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #30 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually heard something about a PC version of Final Cut awhile ago, but it fizzled. Anyone know if it is still in the works?

aarong

Mar 2, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #31 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To Verttical_Rockrat:
First let me say that I am no expert on DV video/editing - I have a lot of experience but admittedly I still have a lot to learn - I will share what I've learned thus far about cameras, video and editing systems.

There are distinct differences in digital cameras and digital picture quality. You may find megapixels listed on some dv cameras but only because they have a still pic capture feature. There are different kinds of DV formats you can get: DVC Pro, DVC Cam, and DV (mini DV) formats. The Pro and Cam are going to be in a higher level, more professional video and generally more expensive. You are probably going to be looking at the miniDV format. Look at pixels per inch/resolution and CCD. You'll notice on the higher-end cameras they will have 3 CCDs which means there is an individual channel for each color (red, green, blue - I believe). There are so many features on cameras it's hard to go into all of it. And so much of it is based on what you can afford. If you want high picture quality that's one thing, interchangable lens is another, type of mic (sound) is going to be a big factor - don't overlook this. I have a sony mini-dv camera with a built in mic and the sound quality is terrible because you can actually hear the camera running on the mic - I hate that. For shooting climbing action you will also want to look at zoom features, useability (how easy is it to hold, move, etc.), picture stabilizer, LCD screen size. The best thing to do is just start comparing different cameras within a price range you can afford and research those features or technical jargon you haven't heard of. As far as NTSC vs. PAL - PAL is generally not used in the USA - I would only buy NTSC if you are in the US.

As far as affordable solutions for capturing devices for your computer - if you want external - look at the ADVC 100 Canopus converter to change your analog to digital and then use Adobe Premiere to edit. Not a bad setup. You will need to increase your RAM and hard drive space.

aarong

Mar 2, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #32 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shake 3 is about $4950 and is made by Apple. It is supposed to be awesome.

Also, I never heard of Final Cut Pro for PC - guess it could happen.

todddarling

Mar 2, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #33 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt it. From a profit standpoint it's better to make the software great and get people to buy a new computer to run it on. But who knows what is in the Mind of Steve Jobs.

vertical-rockrat
Deleted

Mar 2, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #34 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input and i was looking at the 1000-2000 more like 1500 ish range since i have a sony handycam right now, no reason to buy less when i need more lol....
And thanks for all that input.

zozo

Mar 2, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #35 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone reccomend a good stock library for action footage? Not just climbing but all kinds of stuff?

betadog

Mar 2, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #36 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I actually heard something about a PC version of Final Cut awhile ago, but it fizzled. Anyone know if it is still in the works?

Rumor had it that they were going to make a PC version, but that was a long time ago. Realistically a couple of years. Deal is that Avid has the market on PC's and they don't want to see Final Cut make it's way over because it has less flaws and is also more user friendly. Can't really go wrong with getting into the MAC era, although the G4 is still more reliable than the G5 for now, but not for long.

vertical-rockrat
Deleted

Mar 3, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #37 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another question about videography of rock climbing is sound really that important when taping the climbs since most time's people put music over it. I can see maybe when talking down at the base or on the summit but mid climb would sound quality really be that bad? I mean even a far shot is to far to pick up with a good mic his cussing about that last clip lol..

EDIT: i stumbled onto this site if anyone wants a site with lots of hardware software for videos, might be a good place to just browse and see what is out there maybe. http://www.omegamultimedia.com/

betadog

Mar 3, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #38 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Audio is a problem no matter what material your filming. Have you ever seen rough footage where it sounds like your in a wind tunnel. That sound could be nothing more than a tiny breeze, but those microphones pick up everything. That's more or less why music is always layered over the film. Prime example Whiskey 1-3 snowboarding/skateboarding video footage. Highly recommend!

aarong

Mar 3, 2004, 3:08 PM
Post #39 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The quality of sound you want is, of course, going to be based on the type of video/movie you want to shoot. If you are planning on doing the typical climb/music video you are not going to need great sound quality - b/c you can have your music on a seperate track (in editing phase) and mute out the video noise. BUT - if you want to have good sound quality outdoors you are going to need a good shotgun mic. There are several different kinds of mics which are mechanically different and will pick up sound in different ways and therefore have unique sound qualities. I spent a day just researching sound and microphones and the differences between them all. It may be an obvious statement, but not all mics function the same - especially outdoors! Even shotgun mics have differences between them which allow them to pick up bigger areas and longer distances. The mics on most consumer camcorders are shite unless you are shooting home video. They pick up any little sound, including the tape turning inside the camera, and wind noise. If you want good sound quality it's worth looking into a camera with a good mic setup or an external mic system.

vertical-rockrat
Deleted

Mar 3, 2004, 9:14 PM
Post #40 of 40 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for teh responce on the mic, now will someone respond to the camera around 1500 i should look at, im seeking a grest video and if possible a way to plug in a diffrent mic to help with my sound quality later.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook