Forums: Climbing Partners: US - Mountain States:
Front Range climbing partners - ongoing thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 288 Next page Last page  View All

holmeslovesguinness

Mar 12, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #76 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range, CO, looking for partners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For any Front Rangers that are interested - there is a Wilderness First Aid course that is being offered the weekend of April 2-4 in Denver - http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/schedule.shtml. I believe the cost is $135 and it is being sponsored by the Sierra Club.

crazyfingers

Mar 12, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #77 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice! Looks like a bunch of folks are headed to Golden and I just got the green light from my better half to spend Saturday morning climbing. I'll be the one in the black ford ranger 4X4. I am 6'7", dirty blonde hair, carrying a blue lowe alpine back pack. Plan to bring a rope, some draws, webbing and a guidebook. Want to lead, but TR works also... May bring a friend of mine that just started climbing. Hope to get there 9 - 9:30. Beta welcome, this is my first trip to table mountain.

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Kyle

zozo

Mar 12, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #78 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just kidding, Im not really going to write ZOZO across my forehead in black sharpie, but I will be sporting a nametag!

zozo

Mar 12, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #79 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone give me directions coming from the springs? Im not seeing any of these streets on my map. Thanks!

A few cell # might be a good idea to.

skycat

Mar 12, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #80 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weather looks like it is going to be doable in the morning, so count me in at 9-9:30.

Dark green really dirty Mustang. I'm 5'1, kind of tiny, long brown hair, will be wearing a black and white fleece jacket. Can lead up to 9s (have lead higher but coming off a recent knee injury), am definately cool with TR if someone else wants to lead. Will bring my rope and gear, but if I don't have to haul it up to the cliffs I'd be a happy camper.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Kelli

timstich

Mar 13, 2004, 5:40 AM
Post #81 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can anyone give me directions coming from the springs? Im not seeing any of these streets on my map. Thanks!

A few cell # might be a good idea to.

Check these mapquest maps out:

http://www.mapquest.com/...code=&submit=Get+Map

Final approach:

http://www.mapquest.com/...code=&submit=Get+Map

Written directions:

Take I-25 N. to Denver and take a left on 6 West. Drive down West 6 under I-70. This turns into 93 eventually passing into Golden and take a right on 19th St. at the light. Take a left on Ford just above the Safeway store and cross the creek and the bridge over 58. Take a right on 7th Place and a left on Boyd. Drive up the hill. As the street curves right, take the immediate left onto Peery Parkway. Drive to the end of the street and you will see the Golden Cliffs gated entrance. Park in the lower lot, unless it is full. The overflow lot it the upper lot.

neph

Mar 13, 2004, 6:57 AM
Post #82 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nevermind

elcommunisto

Mar 13, 2004, 7:24 AM
Post #83 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would go down there if I didn't get stuck working a 12 hour shift tonight. :/

Anybody up for Rockn & Jamn (North) nights next week (after 9 pm)?

EC

bustinmins

Mar 13, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #84 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry Nate, coming from Aurora. Hopefully someone else can help you get to the crag today. My apologies...I'm running a bit late.

J "Tyler" D

timstich

Mar 13, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #85 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from having a bagle sammich and smoothie in Golden after the climbing. It was very warm today, despite occasional winds. It was great meeting Dave, Kyle, Kelly, Jeremy, James, and of course I had already known Martha. Some of us just climbed for a half day and a few of us stayed until about 2PM. Dave (zozo) will post some pics of today's get together at some point. It's unanimous: We are done with climibing that Golden basalt.

Next week's planned outing: Eldorado Canyon sandstone

Meet next Sunday at 9:00 AM in the Mesa Trailhead parking lot to the right and downhill from Dowdy Draw parking. This is right off of Eldorado Springs Rd, which is right before you drive into Bouder on 93. From the meeting place, we'll pile in as few cars as possible to get into the state park cheap. Some of us will be climbing on Wind Tower, while others may go to West Ridge and walls in between. The Bastille will still be in the shade and a bit chilly.

And of course this is mostly trad. The sport routes are rather stiff from what I have read. Plenty of us trad climb and will have topropes set up. Short multi-pitch routes can also easily be done in small groups. If you want to climb longer routes, you'll want to set up your partners for that when you get there or sometime before.

Sound good to everyone? As usual, we'll watch the weather forecasts.

Later,

-Tim S.

zozo

Mar 13, 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #86 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me just echo what Tim said. The day turned out awesome. Everyone climbed great and nobobdy won the gumby a$$ climber of the day award between Skibby and myself. Looking forward to Eldorado next week!

Ive downloaded the pictures and Im missing a few people. sorry bout that, I;ll take more next week. I should have em up later tonight. Im going to make em small so I can get them all in the thread, but if you want a bigger on let me know.

Great time today! Thanks everybody!

PS Count me in on some of those shorter multipitch routes.

zozo

Mar 14, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #87 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edited to remove old photos

vanessaw

Mar 14, 2004, 3:03 AM
Post #88 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range climbing partners - ongoing thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys seem to be getting a bit of a group thing going. I was wondering if something was planned over Easter whether you would tolerate an Aussie blow-in. I'm in Denver for a conference, then doing a bit of ice climbing but hope to get in a bit of rock-
I've only got 3 days (10, 11 and 12 April).
Lead to 5. 11 c/d sports, and about 5.10 c/d trad if I've got the Grade conversion thing right.
Email me at vwills@hotmail.com if more details needed.

gadsdenflag

Mar 14, 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #89 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Colorado Springs, looking for someone to climb with. I started climbing in September. What a great sport! This sight is cool.

I've only toproped and followed some sport climbs in the Garden, but I am interested in learning to trad too. I'm climbing around a 5.8 on rock, up to 5.10 in the gym.

pdwaugy

Mar 14, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #90 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Re: Front Range climbing partners - ongoing thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Laramie, Wyoming. I know this summer a group of friends and my self would be more then willing to drive the possable 2-3 hours to go do some pimp climbing in Colorado. So if your intrested in us comming down or comming up to Wyoming to climb drop me a PM. Later.
Waugy

bustinmins

Mar 14, 2004, 7:13 AM
Post #91 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was great meeting you all this weekend. Sorry I didn't bag the trad route - but hey, next week is ELDO(weather permitting of course). :) It will be nice to be on "home turf" once again.

Kelli - if you want to go to Eldo tomorrow and play on the whale's tail - let me know. You'll see what a nice juggy pro setting route is all about. :) Regardless, you'll see it next week if this one doesn't work out.

To the two guys who fly, please get in touch with me via PM if you want any assistance finding instructors. I forgot which one of you had the private and which had 20 hours or so. Get in touch with me if you want a CFI named - Eric May. He's a climber too.

Well gang - I'm looking forward to climbing next weekend. Hope the weather holds. :)

Partner phaedrus

Mar 14, 2004, 7:31 AM
Post #92 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm up for joining up with this group whenever I can, too. I'm just getting into trad leading, so I'm doing .4's-.6's at this point; for sport, I can lead .8's and .9's. I boulder, too, but I have no idea what I rate as a boulderer. I'm booked up next weekend, but I'm interested in whatever comes along after that.

elcommunisto

Mar 14, 2004, 9:28 AM
Post #93 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish I could've gone. :shakes fist: Stupid boss calling me at 7:15 Friday night telling me I have to be in at 8 and work a 12 hour shift.

I'll try and get down to Eldorado Canyon on Sunday, provided there are some easy routes to do (I can TR 5.9s, and if I remember how to sport, I could probably squeak out a few 5.8s. Never tried trad climbing, and not sure that I want to...yet.)

EC

zozo

Mar 14, 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #94 of 7199 (242048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To the two guys who fly, please get in touch with me via PM if you want any assistance finding instructors. I forgot which one of you had the private and which had 20 hours or so. Get in touch with me if you want a CFI named - Eric May. He's a climber too.

Hey Chief that was me. I got just under 20 hours a few years ago, want to finish getting my liscense but it will probably be a year or so before I can commit the time and mula but I really want to start taking flights again, especially over the mountains. Dont you need a special CFI liscense to intruct mountain flying? I'll talk to you next weekend.

bustinmins

Mar 14, 2004, 4:02 PM
Post #95 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad is great and it is a bunch of fun. Either way, I think the skills used in just placing a few stoppers(nuts) could fare well for you in your sport climbing too...just in case you get off route and in a bind. It would be nice to pop in a nut and say "TAKE". :)

There are several easy climbs for trad. Mind you, the Eldo ratings are a bit soft. Meaning, if it is rated a five, it might be a five or it might feel like a seven. Depends on you. Eldo is old school fun. Great rock and I'm sure you'll be hooked to trad once you're done.

There are several easy routes in Eldo, some single pitch many multi-pitch. Look at the west side of the "Whale's Tail" and you'll see some single pitch climbs: West Crack(5.2) and West Dihedral(5.4). Both of these are excellent introductions to ELDO. If you are interested in multi-pitch harder ratings - you can look to the Wind Tower which sports anything from multi-pitch 4-12's.

One word of guidance to those who haven't climbed too much trad - BRING A HELMUT! :) Loose rock is very noticeable on the Wind Tower.

In reply to:
Looks like it was a lot of fun. I wish I could've gone. :shakes fist: Stupid boss calling me at 7:15 Friday night telling me I have to be in at 8 and work a 12 hour shift.

I'll try and get down to Eldorado Canyon on Sunday, provided there are some easy routes to do (I can TR 5.9s, and if I remember how to sport, I could probably squeak out a few 5.8s. Never tried trad climbing, and not sure that I want to...yet.)

EC

bustinmins

Mar 14, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #96 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hey Chief that was me. I got just under 20 hours a few years ago, want to finish getting my liscense but it will probably be a year or so before I can commit the time and mula but I really want to start taking flights again, especially over the mountains. Dont you need a special CFI liscense to intruct mountain flying? I'll talk to you next weekend.

Instructors and pilots don't require any special certification to fly in the mountains, however, good training is always a good thing to have when operating in an area that may be outside of your experience realm. In this case, it not unlike climbing - same rules apply. I guess there is no law against being stupid but that is what natural selection is all about. :)

I have a friend who is well versed in mountain flying - if you want to go before you've gathered all of the moula to start - I'll give you his number at Eldo.

Good luck on your climbing and your flying. I enjoy both!

bustinmins

Mar 14, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #97 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm up for joining up with this group whenever I can, too. I'm just getting into trad leading, so I'm doing .4's-.6's at this point; for sport, I can lead .8's and .9's. I boulder, too, but I have no idea what I rate as a boulderer. I'm booked up next weekend, but I'm interested in whatever comes along after that.

It seems that you and I are at the same level in regards to climbing. I'm capable of leading 4-5 single pitch trad and 6-7 multi-pitch sport.

If you are decent at setting up multi-pitch anchors, I need some assistance in that area. I place bomber protection and just need some practice at linking up the pieces. I am sure I can do the cordelette thing but you know - it isn't always that easy. It's those situations that will take me a little time to grasp and a little more experience before I'm super comfy doing it. It's just like anything else, I just need a little more practice and then I'll be fine. :)

If you are so inclined, I'm up for climbing with you - even if it has to be single pitch. I enjoy the west side of the Whale's tail for learning to place pro but I'm ready to graduate to the Wind Tower 4's(Breezy and Bomb) to work on my anchor placements. I guess we could climb those routes that are close to the rap rings - practice placing an anchor, if we like it, continue - if not - then rap. That solves a lot of problems about the unknowns. :)

crazyfingers

Mar 14, 2004, 4:34 PM
Post #98 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to post a quick note to echo the appreciation already rollinging in this thread. It was a great day, sweet weather, great people, nice pictures. To all it was a pleasure meeting you and I look forward to climbing with you all again soon.

Tim made a great point while we where resting beween climbs. This is aboslutely a group thing! It seemed we were all open to meeting new partners, climing new areas and making new friends. Forget the, "I only climb with one partner" vibe, all involved were safe climber/belayer and I really look forward to learning more about trad at Eldo next weekend.

Josh, these are some great folks, make the trip if you can.

Thanks again!

Kyle

Partner phaedrus

Mar 14, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #99 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

It seems that you and I are at the same level in regards to climbing. I'm capable of leading 4-5 single pitch trad and 6-7 multi-pitch sport.

If you are decent at setting up multi-pitch anchors, I need some assistance in that area. I place bomber protection and just need some practice at linking up the pieces. I am sure I can do the cordelette thing but you know - it isn't always that easy. It's those situations that will take me a little time to grasp and a little more experience before I'm super comfy doing it. It's just like anything else, I just need a little more practice and then I'll be fine. :)

If you are so inclined, I'm up for climbing with you - even if it has to be single pitch. I enjoy the west side of the Whale's tail for learning to place pro but I'm ready to graduate to the Wind Tower 4's(Breezy and Bomb) to work on my anchor placements. I guess we could climb those routes that are close to the rap rings - practice placing an anchor, if we like it, continue - if not - then rap. That solves a lot of problems about the unknowns. :)

I've only ever done one multipitch- the Staircase at Elevenmile Canyon (a GREAT .6 two-pitch climb, btw); I didn't lead it, so I know what a multi-pitch anchor looks like, but I've never set one, so....

I led West Dihedral in Eldo last summer and loved it. I'm definitely up for climbing with you. Sounds good!!! :D

nthusiastj

Mar 14, 2004, 6:36 PM
Post #100 of 7199 (242021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was good climbing and meeting with everyone. I was too bad that some had to leave so early.
I look forward to Eldo next weekend though. I have a feeling we will have to split up a little more unless we just take over the whole wind tower.

Jeremy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 288 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook