Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
How has climbing changed your social life?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner macherry

Feb 28, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #26 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Re: How has climbing changed your social life? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am fortunate to be part of an "outdoor community". The gals i hang with are not necessarily climbers, but being skiers, mtn. bikers and outdoor junkies they understand my passion. My friend base has expanded to include local climbers. I am really blessed to have a great group of people to enjoy all my fav. activities.

I do catch grief from my buddies for choosing climbing trips over mtn. biking trips, but it's all forgiven in the end when we gather at the local pub. I hear about their epic rides and i tell them about the climbs. It's all good.

More of my cash goes towards climbing gear. I don't lust over the latest and greatest bike anymore. My spouse is a non climber, but very supportive. No whining/gripping/ or biching about road trips.

But then, i support his motorcyle and mountain biking passions.

ecocliffchick

Mar 1, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #27 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'social life'?

I think I talk to chunks of rock and plastic more than people.

junkie

Mar 12, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #28 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I cannot remember the last social life I had outside climbing....

Right there. That's your problem.

:wink:

We BOTH know that is not even close the tip of the iceberg of my problems. :?

thegogirl

Mar 13, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #29 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I consider my life to be more well rounded and my attitude toward myself more confident, secure and mature...I'm able to be quite comfortable with myself and am not interested in bars, alchohol or going to the movies and such. Mall is not my style and I lead an active lifestyle-focused on climbing, outdoors, exploring, but more well rounded in terms of all aspects of thought, physical fitness and nutrition, perspective of judgement..etc. It's been a huge impact on my social skills as Im able to take a stepback from dating at the present and be comfortable with that. It's easier to be around people without that "hidden agenda" that folks often have in social settings, Takes that sense of social compettion or cattiness out.

spider_woman

Mar 17, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #30 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My social life has completely changed since I started climbing. This past weekend the change could not have been more apparent. I really became devoted to climbing about a 1 1/2 years ago. Before that I was an avid shopper, movie & dinner goer, coffee drinking Starbuckian. Now, exactly "0" haircuts later (couldn't afford even a cheap haircut after buying gear), and after about 14 roadtrips, I realize I am a changed woman....forever.
This past weekend some people came to visit Brad (climbhigh23) and me at our new house, his old high school buddies, and their girlfriends. I could not have been further removed, or felt more out of place even though I was in my own house. That got me thinking, and I realized that the people I hung out with before I started climbing, I have't talked to in about a year and a half. I have exchanged stilletto heels for climbing shoes and designer suits for comfortable climbing clothes and occasionally a pair of old ripped up jeans. In a way I have done the same with my social life, exchanging one group of friends for another, and actually have only 1 friend left from the old scene. My closest friends are now climbers, my signifigant other is a climber, and I don't drink coffee at Starbucks anymore, but I do save at least 1 or 2 Friday nights for kereoke with climbing and non-climbing pals alike.

climbhigh2005

Mar 17, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #31 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah..t his weekend I went on a confernce with school.. I can handle my preppy friends for only so long.. after the 1st day all I wanted to do was camp/climb with a bunch of dirtbags....

yaki

Mar 18, 2004, 3:48 AM
Post #32 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well I work two jobs.. play hockey and rock climb

any free time that I have I climb
(which ends up being about 3 times a week for a few hours)
all my non-climber friends don't hear from me much
which is too bad
but really.. I can't be bothered to go to movies or concerts or other such social events

my idea of a great night out is hanging at the gym
doing climbs I didn't think I could do
and just chatting with all my buds there

in short.. I suppose climbing has deleted my social life

I just can't be bothered to do much but climb

mtnchik

Mar 19, 2004, 2:35 AM
Post #33 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after a couple of weeks avoiding the obvious and not replying to this chat because i was scared of my answer...i've come to the conclusion that my social life is climbing. this past week was my spring break and instead of going to the normal cancun, or florida, i woke up in the morning went to work, then stopped by taco bell to get dinner, and drove straight to the rock gym, then repeated the cycle the next day. i must say this was the best spring break i ever had, and i'm sure that once i graduate (may 14th!) this cycle will be a normal routine and not just a once in a blue moon thing. hey if socializing doesn't involve climbing then why bother. :)

amstone

Mar 28, 2004, 9:09 AM
Post #34 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My close guy friends are most offended by my lack of interest in TV shows or wanting to hang out and do stuff......Says I have gone 'granola'......he won't go climb though. go figure

keithlester
Deleted

Mar 28, 2004, 9:45 AM
Post #35 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I am just the opposite. I never had much of a social life, not being a pub geezer, but over the years, climbing has become my social life. I went with a climbing buddy for 2 weeks in costa blance last xmas and new year, and that was my first holiday for about 10 years. My email contact list is 90% climbers. Only one problem, what ever am I going to do when I'm too old to climb? Sit at a computer making patetic contributions to climbing forums, maybe. :?

far_east_climber

Mar 28, 2004, 2:23 PM
Post #36 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hasn't changed it... well... i don't really have one... don't really want one either.. social life = loss of life... well depending on the form of social life you have and how compatible it is with your personality... we could argue that climbing changes a personality, which in turn can alter ones social life... society often damages individuals by making them feel like they are in the wrong just because they aren't following the traditional 'rules of society' and falling into the norm... then again, who is to decide what's normal behaviour? we could go into a massive debate here but... i just realised I'm posting in the Ladies Room :roll: - aren't I silly :oops:

Partner missedyno

Mar 28, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #37 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hasn't changed it... well... i don't really have one... don't really want one either.. social life = loss of life... well depending on the form of social life you have and how compatible it is with your personality... we could argue that climbing changes a personality, which in turn can alter ones social life... society often damages individuals by making them feel like they are in the wrong just because they aren't following the traditional 'rules of society' and falling into the norm... then again, who is to decide what's normal behaviour?

so true! who says i'm supposed to be out every night in a large group of friends - a la the TV show of the same name...

what's wrong with having a few close friends that understand your interests and goals?

i posted earlier in this thread that pre-climbing my entire peer group evaporated. i built friendships again with climbers. i think this is something to be proud of.

ratherbe

Mar 28, 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #38 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Only one problem, what ever am I going to do when I'm too old to climb?
Who says you'll get too old?? The other day I was climbing with a 64 year old man and know of another still active climber who is in his 70s. I think both of these climbers have slowed down a bit in what they climb and how aggressively compared to their younger days, but they are still climbing! Take care of yourself and listen to your body, you'll be climbing for ever!

angelaa

Mar 29, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #39 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have so completely changed since I started climbing!
1 - The friends I have now are only true close friends. I don't bother "wasting" time with people who are merely acquaintances. My time and my friends are precious to me so I want to treat them that way! My experience is that the friends you make climbing are the best friends in the world. I think a lot of this stems from the fact that as a climber I realize that life is short and that one 'oops' or accident can end it all in an instant. Also, you put your life in the hands of your climbing friends on a regular basis, and you would risk your life for them as well.
2 - I appreciate mother nature much more! Being out in nature is one of the main reasons I climb now.
3 - I appreciate quiet more. When I started climbing I would enjoy bars and dancing, which I still enjoy, but not like I used to. I would rather have a gathering over at my house, or get a group to go camping any day!
4 - my self-confidence is much more sound. I used to think I had self-confidence, but I didn't it was all an act.

I think I am a better person and a much better friend and wife now that I climb.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~ George Carlin

howdidshedothat

Mar 29, 2004, 6:50 PM
Post #40 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My social life has definetly cahnged along with my personal life. I used to be so worried about having the right things, the right job, etc. But, climbing has opened my eyes to the fact that life is much more than all of that crap. I find that I am so much more happier sitting in front of a camp fire after an awesome climb then sitting in some fancy restuarant. Climbing has shown me how to simplfy my life. The most important thing though is that my perspective on everything has changed.
I love climbing. :)

maww

Apr 4, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #41 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello all,

I'd have to say that I changed socially before I began getting into climbing. I became much more into nature and quiet (ie meditation, walks in nature)...more "granola" I guess you could say! And now I have found a social group of the same tone - climbers! :)

Most of my other friends do not climb...nor are they into nature or being active (I run, lift and generally keep moving) so the distance between us have widened over the years. That and they have all gone off and married, started the move towards babies and white picket fences. There is a big part of me that has always known that was not my path in life.

So anyway, climbing has actually filled a big void for me socially. :) It has been wonderful.

Nice to meet y'all, thanks for listening. Climb on!

tempestwind

Apr 5, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #42 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can't even imagine dating a guy who didn't climb cause I'd never see him, plus climbing is such a passion of mine that I need someone who can relate to it.

Who cares...it's something I love and wouldn't want to be doing anything else. It's supposed to rain this weekend...I could stay in LA and go to a movie, bar, mall....or I could drive to JT or RR and go for a nice long hike in the rain and hang out with buds and drink. Yep, option #2 will be my choice every time.

Live your life doing what makes you happy...I know I do :P .

:D WOAH! It does not get any better :)

valerie

Apr 7, 2004, 9:18 PM
Post #43 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what social life...?

rock_hunter

Apr 26, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #44 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is my social life

adventureman

Apr 26, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #45 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Same here. :D

climbhigh2005

Apr 26, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #46 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I couldnt agree more
Although I've already replied to this forum a million times, here it goes again...

This weekend was the best weekend I've had in a while... I think I have it fairly hard because I am a pathetic 17 year old whose real friends that I can be myself around are all in there 20+... I'm still stuck doing high school stuff like going on Beta and Interact Convention and campaigning for student council, and dancing for the dance team, etc. etc. While to me having fun consist of camping and climbing for a weekend, not bathing, drinking, smelling not so good, no make up, no straigtned pretty hair, and the same clothes I wore Fri-sun... This is my social life...
Then I have the social life that does wear make up, does straigten my hair, doesnt wear the same clothes all weekend, does bath every day, but still wears my good ole good will clothes! :) This social life isnt as fun, but its not miserable...
I guess I'll have to say that I live a double life... but after highschool, and during the summer the real dirty Melissa comes back out for good...

rokstahr39

Apr 26, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #47 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

social life, lets see... I talk to the guys at the gym... does that count? Oh wait, I went to a monster truck rally, then went climbing :wink: I see my not climbing friends at school and when I take them climbing, but thats about it. Mostly, I just climb. And I'm ok with that.

Becky

rokstahr39

Apr 26, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #48 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I couldnt agree more
Although I've already replied to this forum a million times, here it goes again...

This weekend was the best weekend I've had in a while... I think I have it fairly hard because I am a pathetic 17 year old whose real friends that I can be myself around are all in there 20+... I'm still stuck doing high school stuff like going on Beta and Interact Convention and campaigning for student council, and dancing for the dance team, etc. etc. While to me having fun consist of camping and climbing for a weekend, not bathing, drinking, smelling not so good, no make up, no straigtned pretty hair, and the same clothes I wore Fri-sun... This is my social life...
Then I have the social life that does wear make up, does straigten my hair, doesnt wear the same clothes all weekend, does bath every day, but still wears my good ole good will clothes! :) This social life isnt as fun, but its not miserable...
I guess I'll have to say that I live a double life... but after highschool, and during the summer the real dirty Melissa comes back out for good...

I totally feel your pain. I'm stuck in highschool too... blah! But not for long... :D

maika

Apr 28, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #49 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My social life has changed so dramatically! I no longer hang out with my friends from school so much (which is kinda sad...) but I am ALWAYS climbing! Lets see--I met a guy that I like :) , I am having loads of fun...and oh yeah--the guy! Hehe...I just can't get over it... :wink:

cypress

Apr 28, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #50 of 61 (4183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, I want to say that I am excited to find this female friendly forum (not just this discussion) I have been reading a lot of the training info.

On topic, I started climbing in college. Much like many of you. That was 10 years ago. Climbing has changed my life by helping me evolve and challenge myself. I moved to Chattanooga with my boyfriend 3 years ago because we could climb here year round. Climbing has given me fitness and self-confidence, not to mention all of the life-long friends of many ages and backgrounds I have made.

Most of all, it has enabled me to take more risks. I am moving to Costa Rica this fall to teach. The school has a climbing wall (after having miles of sandstone it will be a bit weak) but I will be taking up surfing and diving.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook