Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Essence of climbing (c2+ aider perspective)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

timpanogos

Mar 22, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Essence of climbing (c2+ aider perspective)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is a continuation of a RRR disgusted DrKodos set of responses to this thread

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...topic_view=&start=31
This is part of the essence of climbing to me:

This is the “bomber” 9k placement below a string of 3/4kn pieces above.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...n=Show&PhotoID=28175

Please continue the splitter cams are the pin scar shizzt discussion on pros/cons of two cams.

Chad

lambone

Mar 22, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Re: Essence of climbing (c2+ aider perspective) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

huh :?:

timpanogos

Mar 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Follow the first link – kodos gives a challenge in the exact response linked about aiding some rr aid route verses trading some other beauty – he asks/states:

In reply to:
Which one is closer to the essence of what climbing should be?

If you are asking huh to the RRR excited kodos – if you have followed other threads – he seems to have had a Bad hair week last week – which appeared to be aggravated by the commercialization of climbing.

If you are asking huh about what the picture has to do with anything

For the gumby c2+ climber – having that piece being your deck protection, while aiding several moves on small brass wires above this piece is one of the essences of climbing to me. When you second step on a brassy (dang outward pull scaring the crap out of you) then come in face to face with a finger lock in that wonderful little pin scare and go oh yea – life’s good I’m still here and you get in real close and intimate like with that granite. And if it pops will the needed pieces below me hold to keep me off the deck?

Did your huh? Get answered?

I enjoy trad, but the aid has been good for me of late.

Chad

lambone

Mar 22, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no offense...but WTF are you talking about?

the "essence" of climbing to you is a cam placement in a crack? Based on whatever "essence" means...that is one of the weirdest things I have ever heard.

Do I have to read that 5 page thread to get it? if so, nevermind...

I guess I don't understand why people start a new thread based on some comment in some other really long thread..yet provide no context for discussion. Anyway, that's my problem I guess...

Regardless...trying to describe the "essence of climbing" reminds me of some femine hygene commercial!

timpanogos

Mar 22, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lambone,

edited, last comment was rude - sorry

I thought Richards post needed splitting - he was comparing aid to trad - Richard has a rich resume of aid routes under his belt, and hence obviously knows what he is talking about.

He appears to have cycled from being driven by aid at some point in his aid to bouldering and trad –

Sorry to have tried to resurrect the age old – why do you climb theme – which is lame – sorry.

Chad

lambone

Mar 22, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I was given a couple of those to test...never did find a placement where they worked any better then the standard fare. I guess abstract pieces have their niche, but all I see it as is another marketing ploy.

since when is aid not trad?

sorry, but labels and categories seem to me to have nothing to do with why people climb stuff. Maybe some people do I guess, if they worry about that sort of thing.

My perspective is why can't climbing be climbing...instead of sport, trad, bouldering, ice, aid, blah, blah...and why does one have to be better or more worthy than another? Sure for organizing a forum full of information it makes sense, but when it comes down to judging another, or justifying something...then it's really just rediculus.

The essnce of climbing for me is getting away from my wife for a few days... :roll: And sharing smokes with my bro high on a cliff :twisted:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook