Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kansasclimber

Mar 30, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #1 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

kansasclimber ALMOST ARRESTED!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well everyone knows about kansas... were flat landers. I just walked into the door, coming home from being cornered by 3 cops, with their hands on their guns, ready to be drawn (which is understandable, they always do).

I was bouldering (buildering) under a new overpass, with awesome texture. Me and my buddy have been their one other time. It is right by the street, but its not a highway or anything. One cop pulls up with his lights on. He sits there for a second, then gets out. I latered figured out he was waiting for his partner to pull up behind us. He had no idea what we were doing! The cop fisr thereatened to arrest us, then told us that this was a big "no no" and told us if we were ever caught here again, we would be arrested. He progressed to tell us their is places like the Y to climb. He was looking for WEED in my opinion. He seemed pleased though to see that we had pads incase we fell. I had a video camera on me and thought of asking for a little interview, about what was illegal about it, and distribute it to the climbing community. He didnt seem very happy though. So me and my buddy proceeded to hop on our bikes and pedal our rears home, laughing about the whole ordeal.

They need to realize, kansasclimber(s) are desperate for climbing material. IF THEY BUILD IT, CLIMBERS WILL COME.

Stephen

reprieve

Mar 30, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #2 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Re: kansasclimber ALMOST ARRESTED! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had a video camera on me and thought of asking for a little interview, about what was illegal about it, and distribute it to the climbing community. He didnt seem very happy though.

hahaha, nice! very ballsy!

ksudyno

Mar 30, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #3 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in Kansas was the overpass?

Partner hosh

Mar 30, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #4 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, just think ot the inherent danger of climbing a man made structure! You could have fallen and injured your self! It's surely only a matter of time before that same cop is at some crag somewhere (not in Kansas!) with his gun out telling Omega man to watch it on that sneaky overhang and that he needs to rap down, he's going to jail for that mischevious and dangerous climbing activity! How dare those climbers be resourseful! It's like arresting a bunch of picnicers for playing frisbe in a park that's not a designated "frisbe" area. Dorks.

kansasclimber

Mar 30, 2004, 2:17 AM
Post #5 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is in wichita, on the west side, Kellogg and maize to be exact. Has anyone else had these problems??

Stephen

thewyseclimber

Mar 30, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #6 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just trying to make up for lost time in the chamber upstairs...the comp is less than 2 weeks away. Climb on.

couloir

Mar 30, 2004, 3:32 AM
Post #7 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine was aiding a crack in a parking garage at University of Kansas one night when a cop showed up. The cop seemed cool asking about all the gear and stuff. Then another cop showed up and started talking. They started to leave and then said they needed my friends name and address, and that he was getting a written warning. Damn the Man!

somethingcreative

Mar 30, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #8 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They just don't want you to hurt their new-fangled overpass :(

devin

Mar 30, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #9 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah those overpasses are all we have here in kansas, man i feel your pain. a couple of us were climbing on the roundabout in newton and a trooper rolled by and didnt stop or anything, but he probably didnt see us, or was just eating a doughnut or something

Partner trguy

Mar 30, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #10 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Monkey, monkey , monkey....

slavetogravity

Mar 30, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #11 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=4299
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=4297
You should come to Canada the cops are much more climber friendly.[

boulder_boy

Mar 30, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #12 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

were they just watching you climb slavetogravity? I want to move to canada if cops are that nice.....maybe ill stay here in idaho and just go to city of rocks

throw up more cop/climbing stories people

justsendingits

Mar 30, 2004, 11:46 AM
Post #13 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When cops act that way you know you are "not in Kansas any more Toto" Animal farm maybe? 1984 ?

American police are quite militant these days.

I think this incident says a lot about our culture!!

On the other hand it does make "Buildering" and such like more adventures!!!

dontjinxme

Mar 30, 2004, 1:48 PM
Post #14 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Justsendingints:

You said: " American police are quite militant these days.

I think this incident says a lot about our culture!! "

I have to agree with you. The State highway patrol in Ga, are the worst about militaristic attitudes. I think the smaller towns are a bit better about having cops that have a bit of personality.

fitzontherocks

Mar 30, 2004, 2:22 PM
Post #15 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you guys are overreacting just a bit. The boys in blue were just doing their job. It's not like they strip searched you and got out the electrodes. If a martian landed in your backyard, you'd check it out. Buildering is just as alien an activity to the uninformed (those guys in uniform with the weapons). Just be more discrete next time. Love the expression on the face of the Canadian cop. ("What the#@$%?") And it's a good thing he's wearing the flak jacket. ROCK! ROCK! ROCK!

iltripp

Mar 30, 2004, 3:05 PM
Post #16 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you guys are overreacting just a bit. The boys in blue were just doing their job. It's not like they strip searched you and got out the electrodes. If a martian landed in your backyard, you'd check it out. Buildering is just as alien an activity to the uninformed (those guys in uniform with the weapons). Just be more discrete next time. Love the expression on the face of the Canadian cop. ("What the#@$%?") And it's a good thing he's wearing the flak jacket. ROCK! ROCK! ROCK!

I don't think they are overreacting at all, although you're right that the cops were just doing their job. The problem is that it IS their job to do crap like this. What bothers me about these incidents is what they represent about our legal system and culture as a whole. If I want to risk my OWN life climbing an overpass, then I'll be damned if there's a reason I shouldn't do it. People do things that are a lot more dangerous, yet legal, but I can't have fun in my own way. It is, to say the very least, RETARDED that a cop should feel the need to bust someone who is climbing something in a manner that does not endanger someone else or someone else's property. It's the same kind of crap as our numerous pointless and stupid lawsuits. I say we put our tax dollars to better use than chasing around climbers... By the way, why the hell did they need 3 cops just to tell a couple climbers to leave??

Partner mr8615

Mar 30, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #17 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, awesome! Once, a bunch of friends and I were climbing a building (traversing) on campus here at VT and a few out of towners were skateboarding on some stairs nearby. A police officer walked by us with a nod of hello and confronted the skateboarders and told them to get lost! He watched us climbing for a little bit, then moseyed off. :lol:

sarcat

Mar 30, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #18 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I deal with law enforcement every day and I HAVE seen a shift by police attitude to "If I don't like it you can't do it" wether it's legal or not. To the true bad guys they have to take this attitude or they end up on the wrong side of the gun, but for good guys the same attitude only creates animosity.

I guess it's the "walk a mile in each others' shoes" issue. Of corse most flat foots wouldn't fit into my Mythos....

reprieve

Mar 30, 2004, 3:22 PM
Post #19 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Haha, awesome! Once, a bunch of friends and I were climbing a building (traversing) on campus here at VT and a few out of towners were skateboarding on some stairs nearby. A police officer walked by us with a nod of hello and confronted the skateboarders and told them to get lost! He watched us climbing for a little bit, then moseyed off. :lol:

haha, niice, maybe it's because you were traversing instead of climbing to a height were you could hurt yourself from

leinosaur

Mar 30, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #20 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, some of it is the new "homeland security" bullshit - they're told to go on ORANGE ALERT, which tells them absolutely nothing except to be suspicious of anything, and for all they know you might be placing explosives (does it say C4 on your shoe, there? remember the shoe bomber?)

I admit to having second thoughts when rapping down a dam at Glenlednoch last year, with my long beard and a t-shirt with Arabic writing on it -

climbers are doing unusual stuff, inherently - expect to be looked at funny - but remember to point out that trad gear is designed NOT to hurt the rock, or concrete, or whatever (as opposed to skateboard trucks. Also, no devil-worshippy lookin' skulls painted on everything - I used to get that all the time skating)

climb on, y'all

treat cops like humans and they usually do the same

leinosaur

Partner coylec

Mar 30, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #21 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What? Your cams didn't come with red fire-breathing devils on them? Guess I just got a good deal. And those discount biners I got that said "All hail the antichrist" aren't standard fare? wow.

coylec

fitzontherocks

Mar 30, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #22 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iltripp wrote:
<>

What about the people who have to clean you up after you splat? Or the motorist passing under you? Or yo' mama an' 'em? I agree that climbing is a risk into which we all enter into of our own volition. But like it our not, actions have consequences which may not be immediate. At the risk of sounding like The Man, youth tends to think short-term. Try to think more long-term. Sorry if you're bored at the gym. The cure: ROADTRIP.

justsendingits

Mar 30, 2004, 5:31 PM
Post #23 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what if some one has to clean me up after I splat!!

It is more of a social war as far as I am concerned!

They think we should be in cubicles processing (turning down) insurance claims.

kansasclimber

Mar 30, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #24 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherock:
Its funny that you say that, becasue i am going on a road trip this weekend. I have been needing to.

Another question i was wondering, is if i was just walking under the overpass, just passing through, and brushed my shoulder on the walls, they wouldnt call 3 cops and threaten to arrest me. They wouldnt even notice. So whats the difference of climbing on them. Aso long as we are careful and do not harm others?? Plus everyone who drove by had entertainment as they stopped for red lights.

Stephen

action

Mar 30, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #25 of 41 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:lol:
that is why kansas sucks....MIZ.....ZOU.... :lol: sorry to hear about your dilemma...move to central missouri and you'll have plenty to climb...lots and lots...more than people think...tell the boyz at IBEX (iflex...aaron) i said whats up.
P.S. why cant i drink my fosters while doing the belay duties

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook