Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbsomething

Mar 30, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #1 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

This past weekend a few of us regulars got hassled by The Man at Joshua Tree's High Desert Motel- a place that, contrary to its sign outside, is not climber friendly.

After a day of cragging and some Thai buffet, a group of us retired to Curt's room at the High Desert for drinks and more chatter. It was not late- about 9 p.m. As we filed past the manager's office and up the stairs, the manager fixed a glare through his window and promptly phoned Curt's room to inform him that he didn't want any noise or trouble. We were bemused, but okay. True, there were 8 of us, but we were all reasonable, responsible, of-legal-age adults. We were just hanging out because the restaurant was closing up soon. We were not fighting, shouting, or having a party. We were just talking. But the manager decided he didn't like us, and he phoned two more times. The final time he told us to leave Curt's room.

So, we went downstairs to another friend's* room. He, like Curt, was a paying customer and should be able to have guests for an hour if they weren't being a nuisance. We weren't planning on sleeping there or trashing the place. But we weren't downstairs 5 minutes when the manager knocked on the door and told us to leave. A few of the guys protested- asked Mr. Manager what written rule we were violating (there was none) or if any other motel guests had complained (he admitted that none had). The manager just personally wanted us gone from the premises- all of us, including those who were paying customers, and no, he would not refund their money for the night, which had already been paid for. He also threatened to fine one of us $500 for smoking (as if he had ANY power) and to have the police help us leave. When the guys became upset- but not violent, intimidating, or physical- by this threat, what did he do, but call the San Bernardino County Sherrif's office.

When the cop arrived, he listened to the manager's bitching, heard our rebuttal, then nodded with a "what the hell was I called out here for" look on his face. He agreed that we did nothing wrong, and if the manager wanted any customers to leave, he had to refund their money. Well, a couple were pretty indignant at this point, so they took their money and left- NEVER to return.

I won't be surprised if there's some devil's advocating on the manager's behalf. Whatever. We were doing nothing wrong, illegal, or even annoying, and I, Curt, Jay, Art, Meg, and Alex (at least) know we'll never stay at the High Desert Motel again- not while their management harasses its customers for no apparant reason.

The. End.

*Specific name left out on request

beesty511

Mar 30, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #2 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Re: JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jt512 and curt?? lol. Good for the manager. I wouldn't allow the likes of them on my property either.

bandycoot

Mar 30, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #3 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just dirtbag it on the BLM... I'm too poor for a hotel. But when I get the $$$ I'll be sure not so stay there! :evil:

Josh

tucsonalex

Mar 30, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #4 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I won't be surprised if there's some devil's advocating on the manager's behalf.

There won't be any playing devil's advocate from me. The manager was rude, unreasonable, and irrational to good paying customers. I know I would rather stay somewhere that allows their customers to have guests and stay up past 9:00 pm.

Partner baja_java

Mar 30, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #5 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey Hillary. sorry you guys had a bummer of a time there. stayed there once before. standard fare. not super helpful, the one guy "staff", but no hassle either, not like this anyway. hope that didn't ruin your climbing moods too bad the next day. doubt i'd go for motels anymore anyway, even if the JT campsites go full. there's BLM camping from now on, thanks to Jess. tents on dry lake bed wasn't too bad at all. just odd waking up in the morning and if you have to go and there's no bush to duck behind and you're visible for miles in all directions. Free BLM camping vs hotel expense, well, hope the info tidbit helps your united front of a movement there

nice to meet you guys. heard from tim that art was a little disturbed by my little "intro"

maculated

Mar 30, 2004, 4:27 AM
Post #6 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I got an earful of this last night from Meg. What's with the use of hotels anyway? You all going soft now?? Pshaw.

I'll boycott High Desert if you boycott Prana's womens line. :P

climbsomething

Mar 30, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #7 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
nice to meet you guys. heard from tim that art was a little disturbed by my little "intro"
Oh, not really disturbed, maybe just startled. He's not used to being a celebrity 8) Gone are his days as an incognito, everyday JTree climber!

bandycoot- I think your sweet mohawk dog easily could have taken this weenie of a manager dude. :lol:

asandh

Mar 30, 2004, 3:15 PM
Post #8 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

curt

Apr 3, 2004, 9:46 PM
Post #9 of 17 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jt512 and curt?? lol. Good for the manager. I wouldn't allow the likes of them on my property either.

Good choice. Being in the company of any real climbers would certainly be embarrasing for you.

Curt

other

Feb 28, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3208 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does hi desert motel still have same manager?

sungam

Feb 28, 2009, 5:51 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "curt"][quote]jt512 and curt?? lol. Good for the manager. I wouldn't allow the likes of them on my property either.[/quote]

Good choice. Being in the company of any real climbers would certainly be embarrasing for you.

Curt[/quote]
May have been 5 years ago but Curt could still throw a zinger. I laffed.

styndall

Feb 28, 2009, 7:45 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last weekend was a weird time at JTree. I was up there Sunday, and somebody left a note under my windshield wiper.

In reply to:
The water in New Jersey makes people retarded. Nice Saab!

Any of you guys know who might have done that? The car was parked at the pullout next to the Hidden Valley campground.

Also, I definitely recommend staying at Trader Jeff's Desert Isle cabin in Twentynine Palms. It's remote, and the decor is cool as hell.

jt512

Feb 28, 2009, 8:17 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
Last weekend was a weird time at JTree. I was up there Sunday, and somebody left a note under my windshield wiper.

In reply to:

Any of you guys know who might have done that? The car was parked at the pullout next to the Hidden Valley campground.

Also, I definitely recommend staying at Trader Jeff's Desert Isle cabin in Twentynine Palms. It's remote, and the decor is cool as hell.

Remote + 29 Palms = Danger

Jay

sungam

Feb 28, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
styndall wrote:

In reply to:

Jay
Why so?

jt512

Feb 28, 2009, 8:38 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
styndall wrote:

In reply to:

Jay
Why so?

Ever watch "Deliverance"?

Jay

sungam

Feb 28, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
styndall wrote:

In reply to:

Jay
Why so?

Ever watch "Deliverance"?

Jay
No, but I've heard of it. cree-parr.

sidepull

Feb 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [beesty511] JTree visitors: Boycott the High Desert Motel [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "beesty511"]jt512 and curt?? lol. Good for the manager. I wouldn't allow the likes of them on my property either.[/quote]

Yes, let's ban some of the most useful members of this site! Well played.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook